Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 11:52 PM

1,976 posts, read 2,356,424 times

Advertisements

Rickenbacker 330 through a Mesa Rocket 44
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 12:17 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,561,261 times
I own a 1993 Gibson Les Paul Studio, 2008 Gibson Les Paul Doublecut, a 2010 Fender American Strat, 2005 Yamaha RGX-A2, and $99 Squire Strat with $200 worth of pickups.

I play through a Vox AC15 with a Boss ME-70 effects board, and a random assortment of other pedals.

My 1993 Les Paul is my baby. Plays better than anything else I have ever laid fingers on.

Sorry about the bad pictures and messy room.

Last edited by emcee squared; 08-01-2012 at 01:10 PM..

Old 08-02-2012, 08:24 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,156,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
I own a 1993 Gibson Les Paul Studio, 2008 Gibson Les Paul Doublecut, a 2010 Fender American Strat, 2005 Yamaha RGX-A2, and $99 Squire Strat with $200 worth of pickups.

I play through a Vox AC15 with a Boss ME-70 effects board, and a random assortment of other pedals.

My 1993 Les Paul is my baby. Plays better than anything else I have ever laid fingers on.

Sorry about the bad pictures and messy room.
just curious, what kind of pickups did you put in the Squire, and how do you like them?,

Old 08-02-2012, 10:01 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,561,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowesthand View Post
just curious, what kind of pickups did you put in the Squire, and how do you like them?,
Hmm... It was a pre-wired pickguard from Seymour Duncan, I believe. I was at college and didn't have all the tools or time to put in individual pickups.

They sound alright, but it was probably not worth it for me to invest $200 into the guitar.

It doesn't sound nearly as well as my American Strat with stock pickups in the bridge and neck, and a Hotrail in the middle.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:13 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,156,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Hmm... It was a pre-wired pickguard from Seymour Duncan, I believe. I was at college and didn't have all the tools or time to put in individual pickups.

They sound alright, but it was probably not worth it for me to invest $200 into the guitar.

It doesn't sound nearly as well as my American Strat with stock pickups in the bridge and neck, and a Hotrail in the middle.
I was thinking about putting a ssl-5 SD in the bridge of one of my strats. The ones I've heard on the web sound very vintagey , but with a little punch to them .... Have a good one!

Old 08-02-2012, 02:32 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,886,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowesthand View Post
I was thinking about putting a ssl-5 SD in the bridge of one of my strats. The ones I've heard on the web sound very vintagey , but with a little punch to them .... Have a good one!
I have the DiMarzio FastTrack 1 in the bridge of my Strat, and that's it to a letter. I have it wired to a 2meg volume and tone, and with the tone rolled back, it gets "the Strat sound" very, very well. Bell-like, ringing highs, warm midrange, and punchy, crisp lows that make you want to play some old Hendrix tunes. With everything wide-open, it gets a pretty hot sound and is powerful/sensitive enough for tapping. Still retains a Strat-like character, but handles high gain really well.

I run it in parallel with a Fender TexMex middle pickup to fatten it up and add a bit of snarl... love the combination!

Old 08-02-2012, 10:49 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,274,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
That's a cool looking little SG!
All I can say is Nashville is the best city on earth to buy an electric guitar. New York and LA have numbers, but Nashville has pedigree...and the Gibson factory doesn't hurt

Old 08-02-2012, 10:55 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,757,056 times
I don't have any photos of my guitars or anything...but I have:

Guitars:
Martin DCXE Acoustic-Electric
Fender Starcaster Costco Guitar (a surprisingly decent backup)
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute Gold Top (The P90's are phenomenal sounding pickups)
An old Nylon string Acoustic I inherited
An Off-Brand Lap Steel

I had an old tiny solid state fender amp, but it died, so I run my electrics through a Reverend Hellhound 40/60 Watt (select-able) Combo Tube Amp (with Mesa tubes)

I've found the P90's in my Gold Top combined with Vox-like qualities of Reverend give me some very colorful, vintage tones, and it's plenty loud enough to fill up an average sized bar or outdoor venue. That amp will easily drown out the drums unless I mic the drum kit.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:57 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,274,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
I don't have any photos of my guitars or anything...but I have:

Guitars:
Martin DCXE Acoustic-Electric
Fender Starcaster Costco Guitar (a surprisingly decent backup)
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute Gold Top (The P90's are phenomenal sounding pickups)
An old Nylon string Acoustic I inherited
An Off-Brand Lap Steel

I had an old tiny solid state fender amp, but it died, so I run my electrics through a Reverend Hellhound 40/60 Watt (select-able) Combo Tube Amp (with Mesa tubes)

I've found the P90's in my Gold Top combined with Vox-like qualities of Reverend give me some very colorful, vintage tones, and it's plenty loud enough to fill up an average sized bar or outdoor venue. That amp will easily drown out the drums unless I mic the drum kit.
P90's are my favorite pickups ever!! Get the beef of a bucker and the twang of a strat in one. Less noisy than Fender-style pickups too.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:16 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,886,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by git45 View Post
All I can say is Nashville is the best city on earth to buy an electric guitar. New York and LA have numbers, but Nashville has pedigree...and the Gibson factory doesn't hurt
I'm right there with you!

Back in Boston, it seemed like I saw more of those memorable, epic finds that you freaked out about and had to jump on than I do here in LA.

I go into a used music store here, and can find a wall of 2-20 year old used LP Studio's or Standards, a few SG's, a bunch of American Strats and Teles, and then a wall of used metal guitars from the hair era. Don't get me wrong, I've seen some really cool stuff here, and for amazingly-good prices (especially on Craigslist), but it just seems like I come across something that blows my mind with much less frequency here than in smaller cities.

Whenever I'm out of town on business or pleasure, I always make sure to check the local shops and see what's there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music