Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2010, 09:57 AM

16 posts, read 61,739 times

Advertisements

I am a single, 34yr old, African American woman. I will be vacationing with my 15yr old daughter in the Myrtle Beach area for a week this summer. What are some must visit places or restaurants? What beach can we visit in the area where we won't look like flies in the milk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 10:21 AM

21 posts, read 47,008 times
Any idea what area you'll be staying in? We stay every year in central MB on North Ocean Blvd, and in my opinion it's pretty ethnically diverse, as is most of the area from what I can tell.

Are you renting a car? If so I love all the restaurants on the Marsh Walk in Murrells Inlet:
Murrells Inlet SC Marshwalk Dining Restaurant Entertainment Guide South Carolina Seafood

We stay away from eating anywhere on what's known as Restaurant Row, as well as at places like Broadway at the Beach, because they're mostly overpriced tourist traps.
(Broadway at the Beach however has some fun entertainment and shopping, etc:
Myrtle Beach shopping, dining, nightlife, entertainment in one place! Broadway at the Beach)

I like this restaurant guide as well, and we've tried many places in the area based on reviews here:
Myrtle Beach Restaurants : The #1 Dining Guide with 15540 Restaurant Reviews for the Grand Strand

Hope this helps!

Old 07-07-2010, 11:50 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,691,729 times
I like your "flies in the milk" analogy. (chuckle)

Unfortunately most of MB and the people who vacation there are a bit on the "milky" side. Atlantic Beach is all "flies" but sadly it's a bit run down and not the nicest place to visit.

Do you like animals and fish? If so, Ripley's Aquarium, Alligator Adventure and the Waccatee Zoo are wonderful places.

Do you like to shop? If so, there are two Tanger Outlet locations, a couple of malls, Pawley's Hammock Shops, Barefoot Landing and Broadway at the Beach, not mention many hundreds of small shops and big-box retail giants.

Do you like to play miniature golf? If so, you'll be in hog heaven with all the mini golf courses along the strand.

Do you like the outdoors? If so, there are two state parks and Brookgreen Gardens with lots of lovely outdoor scenery and adventures waiting for you.

No matter where you choose to go, I think you will be made to feel welcome and you'll have a great time. Enjoy!

Old 07-07-2010, 11:53 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,670,349 times
Ditto to all of what Dawne said!

Old 07-07-2010, 05:59 PM

16 posts, read 61,739 times
Thanks for the advice!

Old 07-08-2010, 05:23 PM

540 posts, read 1,678,679 times
I agree, it's very ethnically diverse. Stay away from Atlantic Beach, it's a disaster. No one really cares what color you are down here, honestly. We care if you clean up after yourself when you leave the beach, or if you use your turn signals. That's about it. Wait...forget about the turn signals. Once you hit "Welcome to South Carolina" all reason seems to go out the window when it comes to driving. Trust me, you'll see what I mean a few minutes into being here!!

I hope you have a wonderful time

Old 07-21-2010, 09:15 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,653,299 times
We stayed around the 2300 block of S Ocean Blvd. You would definitely not feel like a fly in the milk around those parts Truly. Having never been there before we were not sure what to expect or what we would find. Broadway was a blast! We spent at least some time there every day we were in MB. It was especially fun for the kids with the mini amusement park and I loved the shopping

Other than rude tourists and crappy drivers the trip was great.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:27 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,953,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykaytheone View Post
I am a single, 34yr old, African American woman. I will be vacationing with my 15yr old daughter in the Myrtle Beach area for a week this summer. What are some must visit places or restaurants? What beach can we visit in the area where we won't look like flies in the milk?
I really like Surfside beach. We have stayed several times at the Best Western there right on the beach.

I like Broadway at the Beach. Be sure to catch the fireworks there. They are amazing. I wish I could remember the name of that little restarant I really like up by the Dayton House. Aunt or Uncle something.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:24 PM

882 posts, read 3,537,198 times
Uncle John's or Harry's would be the two breakfast places by the Dayton House.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area