Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 06:38 AM

166 posts, read 304,475 times

Advertisements

'Mornin' Scotty.
Glad that Wilmington worked out for you.
So you want to find some "fun driving" roads ( what is it about you guys and your cars and winding roads, anyway???? ). Have you thought about venturing "up state" toward Spartanburg, or is that too far for a guy who travels all week? Even around Columbia should offer some of that...
By the way, isn't Darlington Speedway in SC? I don't know if this is available there, but in Indianapolis there is a program where you can drive the racetrack, for a fee of course. I don't really know how it worked as the kids were too young then, but for a car guy that might be fun if its available.
Another place you should visit, while you are "in the area" is Atlanta. It would be best as a long weekend jaunt, but you would find all the nightlife you could want there. --And that would give you a vague idea of traffic in the Bay area...horrid, absolutely HORRID!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 06:56 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
I am so tired of all the sense of entitlement posters. I think you should give up that job, move, and make room for someone that would appreciate having a great job and a beach to lounge on. Like one of our Vets coming home this week. Get over yourself. whine

Old 12-21-2011, 05:31 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,777,604 times
Scotty not everyone likes it here or has to as you have explained and I mentioned earlier. I've met a lot of people that moved here and love it and many that couldn't get away fast enough. I give you credit for trying it and moving so far from home but it's not easy when you move someplace so different than what you're used to. A lot of people live in the same place their whole lives and never experience anything, at least you're trying and you're on the internet looking for ways to like it or at least tolerate it. I think you might be doing some stereotyping so some people might be getting offended and people that love it here may not get why you don't also love it. I can see why people can love it here but I don't either, it's just not my cup of tea. It's no offense to anyone and we all have the right to like what we like, thats one of the great things about our country we are free to make these choices. IMO based on what you have been saying, I would say you should move when you can. I know it's not easy to just up and move but this area is not going to change, at least not anytime soon. While you're here you are looking for things to do, I get it because I'm also always looking. The music scene is terrible compared to Seattle but can't compare them, just have to try and find a few bands you like or venues. HOB has maybe 2 or 3 good shows a year, check their schedule weekly. There's a few great places in Charleston but it's a two hour drive, so as long as you don't drink much you can check out musicfarm.com and can't remember the others but when I do, I'll post. Not sure what music you like and many here sound like bad wedding bands but check out Ten Toes Up. They're excellent! Also, check out Boathousemb.com for shows and they have an outdoor and indoor stage. Dead Dog Saloon in Murrells Inlet has bands and I've seen a few there that were ok, not great but ok. Broadway at the Beach has several clubs/bars that you can park and easily bar hop. A couple of them have bands and others have dj for dancing. Check out Blarney Stone over there, they have an occasional good band, in fact I've seen 2 that were outstanding...either that or I had too much to drink, LOL. It's not Pioneer Square but I think you and your wife can have a good time over there and on their site they have special events all the time. broadwayatthebeach.com The Wilmington suggestion was good and I think Charleston would be more to your liking. Tripadvisor is a great resource, so is meetup.com for group activities. Restaurants have been a tough one and I've been trying myself to find places I like. If you like Japanese, try Miyabi - Thai, try Thai Season - Mexican, try Abuelos, it's a chain but they have a lot of authentic Mexican dishes, not just fajitas, lol - Seafood, I also go to a chain Bonefish Grill because I haven't found any others I like. No Portuguese here, few Greek but want to try Mykonos - I'm from NJ and Italian is very different (IMO) here and I grew up in an Italian family so haven't found a place I like, I just cook but I did find pizza I like, it's half an hour from me, lol - Scatori's but not sure how the rest of their food is. Don't eat meat so can't help with that. If you just want a good sandwich, I go to Flo's in Murrells Inlet and they have great Bloody Marys and cole slaw but their dinners are just ok. I heard The Melting Pot is excellent but I've never been there and Zulu Lounge looks interesting. They all have sites you can look up, if interested. Anyway, hope some of this helps. I know it stinks when you don't like where you live but I do believe until you can make your move there are a few places you will like and you can find things to do. Don't know if you or your wife are interested but there are a lot of non-profits always looking for volunteers. For example, if you love animals you can volunteer at a number of places.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:59 PM

145 posts, read 359,201 times
Rapture, Don't mean to speak for Scotty, but he said he's not into charity or volunteer work, not sure specifically which, but he said something about not being into helping people, as he's very self-reliant. (I particularly remember this aspect of him probably because I am the opposite -- quite interested in helping others and like a strong sense of community.)

Happy holidays to everyone!

Old 12-23-2011, 09:18 PM

Default Why I would not want to "fit in"

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
There are plenty of bowling alleys around here, but I don't know and doubt very much if they also serve steaks. Strange combo that I have never heard of. But if you want both, go have a steak at Ruth's Chris and then hit the alleys! Maybe I misread your most recent post, now that I'm looking at it again, seems like you are really missing the "middle of the" night life. You most likely won't find that here and if you do, you will be sorry because the only thing that seems to happen in MB at 3 and 4 am is crime-based.....Maybe you haven't adjusted to the time change yet, hahaha!

You said you don't like hanging out in bars, but that you like listening to music. There are a lot of places near where you live that have GREAT music. Have you looked into any of the music scene in PI, etc? Also, HOB in MB?

As far as restaurants, I also hate buffets and would never go to one voluntarily, but at the same time, I moved here from NJ and most of my dining out was in NYC and the NJ area at extremely nice, expensive and top rated restaurants (thank you to all my RX reps!). Although there is not the selection of food here that there was in the NYC area, I have found many wonderful places to eat. Maybe it's your budget limitations, but I can't imagine that you haven't found anywhere (other than that one place you mentioned) to eat that meets your expectations.

I was reading back through your previous comments and this sentence you posted really sticks out:

"I understand where you are coming from but I really would not want to fit in even if I could."

I think you are in the mindset where you just want to be unhappy. My advice: Wallow in your misery. I don't mean this in a snarky way at all, but am very serious. Sometimes that is what we need to do in order to be able to move on to a better outlook.

I do hope that you find what you are looking for, but I think the answer is inside of you, not in your dissatisfaction with the world around you.
I asked myself "What would I not want to fit into? The answer: Anything I really detest or don't believe in. Scotty detests a lot about MB and doesn't seem to like the fundamentalist Christianity, the right-wing beliefs and closed- minded attitude. Those are things I don't like also, so I would not want to fit in with those types of people either.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:50 PM

Default Bottom Line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Dosent Know View Post
Yea every one down here plays golf.....not my thing lol Maybe in 15 years when my knees are completely done I will give it a shot lol

Honestly I have not really found any outlet since I have posted last time. I just work way to much which has added to the problem. I have been working roughly 10-14hr days, 7 days a week just to keep from getting behind. Its making me not like it here even more even though I understand its the job and nothing to do with SC.

I did take yesterday off though and took my wife to the standard dinner and a movie. We went to Lands End in Georgetown because I dont really know where else to go. We have been disappointed by so many local restaurants im afraid to try new ones. Other than the one or two we like. Espically Mexican food I cant find a good restaurant to save my life

So if any one could suggest any good places to eat that would be fantastic, especially mexican food. I will eat at Habanero's but its just "ok" we tried La Playa in pawleys and that was just about the worst mexican food I have ever had lol

Yes I am 31 and while I realize that 31 is not far off of 39 my wife is 24 and defiantly not wanting to hang out with 40yr olds lol I really do not either plus I look like I am in my early 20's so most people my age or older are not really interested in hanging out because I look so young. Also people at age 30 out here just seen to have a completely different mind set than most of my friends back home. Im not really into that whole pop out 3 kids and go to church 4 days a week thing. In fact I dont go to church......and that seems to put a lot of people off here lol

We are going to visit some of my wife's step family for Thanksgiving which we have never met up in NC lol So that should be fun/interesting and something to do since we are not flying home for the holidays. We are also going to a neighborhood BBQ in about a week so hopefully we will have fun there.

So anyways im just keeping my nose to the grind stone and am working hard to pay off our debt and save up money so we can get out of here and purchase another house in north Seattle. My lease is up in July so I am going to start applying for jobs back home in maybe feb/march. My wife is very unhappy here also so even if I dont find something right away I may send her our stuff and our dogs back home to go house shopping. In that case I would try and find someplace out here month to month where I can continue to work for a bit untill I get a job back home.

On a different note the weather here is finally getting nice
Scotty, Looks like you have just a matter of months before you can go back to YOUR Shangri-La. You're right, you and your wife are not going to fit in well with 40+ people. I plan to soon move from Phila. to MB....for multiple reasons. Not sure if I will stay in MB rest of my life, but unlike you two, if I want to leave, I'm going to have a rough time because hubby will not want to make another big move. I do not like driving, so if I can't get a chauffeur of sorts or satisfactory public trans in MB., I will have no way to make a living other than what I have now -- Ebay. ...and it's really not close to a living so I live off my husband and we have never even had any kids. (I'm a feminist, retained my maiden name, etc.) Also I'm going to travel who knows how far to doctors and dentists -- finding good ones is hard enough around here. So there is a good chance I will have a rough time there too. It really scares me, but I take it a day at a time and I like to think I do well with challenges.

Anyway happy holidays. I know you celebrate X-mas, at least to a point. Hubby is Jewish but since joining my family he loves the light displays and gifts especially. Looks like the time is passing better for you now that you have more options to check-out and some are helping you.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:47 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Dosent Know View Post
Its also pretty funny how bent out of shape people seem to get over my not liking it here.
I don't think it's a matter of people getting 'bent out of shape' it just seems nothing ... not one thing that has been suggested meets your pleasure.

Did you meet the poster on the board that is from Seattle too? He/she extended an invitation to you and your wife. It would be someone that can commiserate with you on missing the corner(?) and roads with hills instead of straight flat roads (since that seems to be a priority.)

You are determined to be miserable ... go back to Seattle ... life is to short to be spent in misery. Don't wait, pack up your bags and furniture, hit the road and don't look back. Your posts read as 'gloom, despair, and agony on me. Deep, dark depression, excessive misery.

But only you can do one single thing about it.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:29 PM

166 posts, read 313,789 times
Scotty reminds me of me when I was around 24 living in Florida. I hated everything about it, missed the snow and my friends (esp. my girlfriend to whom I've now been married 25+ years !!). After one year down there I moved out and was quite happy that I did. Now I'd love to live in FL - tired of NY snow, high taxes, Type A people, etc. etc. but back then I didn't appreciate that. Bottom line - if you're not happy (esp. if you're young), doesn't matter how much you're making - go back to where you'll be happy and make the most of it.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:36 PM

7 posts, read 8,484 times
I certainly am not bent out of shape about your misery, Scotty Dosent (sic) Know. In fact, being a very happy person myself, I couldn't care less. But since I work in a helping profession and see people who enjoy suffering every day, I am simply trying to help you. It's what I do. I think you should give in to your inner masochist. As vrexy said, 'wallow in your misery.' Even though the door to your prison cell is wide open, shake the bars. Beat your head against them. Wail and moan and gnash your teeth. You'll enjoy it even more than writing about how miserable you are, and the pain you'll experience will, no doubt, give you a thrill.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:29 AM

166 posts, read 304,475 times
Wow, folks. Can I just say something here? At the risk of alienating a lot of participants I have to ask- are you really READING Scotty's posts? He's not crying to us about how miserable he is, he's been asking for practical solutions to alleviate his unfortunate situation. He made a judgement error ( which he has owned up to and acknowldeged) and he admits that he isn't a fit for the area....he's not whining about his pitiful life, he's ASKING FOR SUGGESTIONS to bide his time here.
The guy is stuck here, and he admits that it was a mistake to come in the first place; couldn't we please get back to our Southern Hospitality roots and try to help him find some outlets to improve his quality of life in this area and make him as comfortable as possible without continuously beating him up for staying where he isn't happy?
And while I'm on a tare, couldn't we also give the guy credit for trying something new and different and looking outside his comfort zone instead of berating him for making this leap? He tried something new, and tried to take advantage of a good opportunity- have none of you done the same, and had similar results? At least we are seeing a young guy who honors his commitments and "does the right thing" by sticking around to fulfill his contracts....how much of that do you see these days?
C'mon y'all, lets quit beating the guy up for admitting he's unhappy and act like true Southerners and offer a helping hand here.....sheesh....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area