Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2012, 04:03 PM

730 posts, read 1,313,881 times

Advertisements

Interested in hearing pros and cons of OceanLakes vs. oceanside village. Ocean Lakes looks crowded; are there a lot of kids, is it noisy. Same question for Oceanside Village. Just generalizations are fine - nice accommodations, friendly folk, that kind of information would be greatly appreciated. We're looking at 6 weeks - mid November to end of December.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 04:20 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,661,012 times
Ok I'll do my best for you so you have an answer. I have stayed and have friends at Oceanside Village.
The Pros are: Great access to the beach with their own parking area on the ocean. Wonderful clubhouse with all kinds of dinners and functions for adults. ( mostly) It is all ages, which is nice when you want to let your kids stay in your home while your away. None of that 55+ restrictions. It has an indoor and an outdoor pool. This is not an RV type of development. There are single wides and doublewides, many modular homes on piers. They do have some nice little lakes in there and so along with that is wildlife. Many snowbirds come in the winter and have a grand time at the community functions. They have a small library also. A recreation room area too. A nice park area with large trees.
Cons: Noisy in the summer months when the tourist, and visitors show up. Noisy during bike weeks, bikers are there also.
The biggest Con is your buying into "leased land."
OceanLakes, Pros: I have only driven in there and have not stayed there. They are on the ocean also. It does have a laundry area ( which the Village does not have) They have a pool. Homes that are there are close together, very close.
So is the Village but I felt this was more extreme. So that is one of the Cons, other are that you have constant RV traveling in and out. It doesn't get that permanent feeling because of that. It is down as a campground so I imagine that it has some kind of lot rent rather then leased. It doesnt' have the lakes inside, so less homelike and cozy.
Ocean Lakes will be loud in the summer months especially. Winter is quieter in both communities. There is not a large amount of kids in the Village.
Most of the snowbirds come into the Village Jan-March but you should enjoy those months you chose...those months will be quiet.
Between the two, I would do the Village. Nice people, great place to bike ride...you might get a cart to ride to the beach. Many are pet friendly. I would use VRBO to rent and look for a homeowner to rent from rather then the main office.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:52 AM

730 posts, read 1,313,881 times
Thanks, Summering, great information. I do believe we'll check the Village on either VRBO or HomeAway, both are good sites with many pet friendly accommodations. We've stayed in the area (Tupelo Bay, which we loved) so we're familiar with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area