Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 10:52 AM

12 posts, read 22,585 times

Advertisements

Are you happy with your decision? Why or Why not? Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 11:30 AM

14 posts, read 31,324 times
Default Also from San Diego

Hi there - I'm also originally from San Diego and am looking to move to the Myrtle Beach area with my family.

I have been living in Rhode Island for the last 7 years and am missing the warm weather!! My family have all left san diego for the east coast so I do not want to go back there - but am looking for an area that is similar in laid-back attitude and climate. Myrtle beach seems to be a good fit for us from all the research I have done!

It would be great if any current MB residents who lived in San Diego or LA could answer this thread

Old 11-11-2013, 12:42 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,346,851 times
While I didn't come from CA, a co-worker of mine did relocate here from the LA area (via Charlotte NC) and he really likes MB. Never hear him saying he wished he was back in LA and he appears happy with his decision to leave both LA and Charlotte for here.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:49 AM

1,124 posts, read 1,717,177 times
I don't know if this helps, but we lived in the Bay area for a short time, and have come to Waccamaw Neck after a few in-between stops. SF is different than either LA or San Diego, but I think that the pace of life is similar in all three, and that is probably going to be the most dramatic difference. Things here move much more slowly than on the West Coast in general, and that could be a frustration for some people. Scotty used to pine for Seattle on this board, and I think that many of his issues would be the same for anyone from the West....things move slowly, the food scene here is much different, hobbies and "extracurricular" activities are different- more toward the "outdoorsman" activities, less "active lifestyle" stuff, and the biggest thing is probably the economic base here...remember that this is largely tourism based in this area so it can be tough to get by during the "off" season.
The other big component is that the number of retired folks is enormous...not the youth-driven culture that prevails in SD or LA.

All those thing suit me just fine...we researched our "forever home" for several years before deciding on this area, so our eyes are open. It would be a big change in life-pace and culture from either LA or SD; your best bet is to visit several times, at different times of the year, for several days at a time and see how things fit. What works for one may be a living nightmare for another.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:47 AM

I have lived in all three places (San Francisco, San Diego and LA), and ended up really disliking San Francisco because of the dreary winter weather and the fast paced lifestyle. LA if fun with lots to do, but WAY too many people and can't deal with the 24hr traffic jams. I think the style of life in the Bay Area of Cali vs Southern Cali is VERY different. Especially in San Diego.

The laid-back-no-worries-surfer-style attitude is what I am used to and what I would be looking for in Myrtle Beach area.

The touristy stuff doesn't really bother me much either - San Diego is FILLED with tourists year round. You just have to know what areas to avoid

Old 11-12-2013, 08:17 AM

312 posts, read 732,742 times
Please visit Myrtle Beach before making such a huge decision.....it is a HUGE difference.....do you have a job lined up? Salaries are nowhere close to that of the west coast and I believe the COL, being low for the east coast are not entirely that low.....I found food and utilities higher here than in Pittsburgh..many many factors to consider..........as for us, we are moving to the west coast in the spring or summer of next year....we just cannot get over the culture differences here...too many for us to get used to and we tried.....the salaries, benefits and job opportunities are just not here......best of luck!

Old 11-12-2013, 09:16 AM

Thanks for the warnings!

We are planning on visiting in the early spring for a week and will be going back again in the early fall. No jobs lined up yet, but we will not be making the move until we do anyway.

Having lived in Rhode Island for the last 7 years - I have gotten pretty used to the people up here (as opposite to cali people as you can get - really!!). If people in Myrtle beach are even somewhat closer to southern cali personalities then here in New England - it would be a good thing!

Old 11-12-2013, 09:47 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,828,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniHeartsBeach View Post
...The laid-back-no-worries-surfer-style attitude is what I am used to and what I would be looking for in Myrtle Beach area...
I've lived here FT for about 14 years, and vacationed here for 40+ prior to the move. IMO, the MB area comes nowhere close to fitting that description. It's a nice area to live and I would not discourage anyone from considering it, but it is what it is. MB's priorities are (1) appealing to family vacationers and (2) attracting affluent retirees from NE states. The local power brokers have been very effective in meeting those objectives, but one place cannot be everything to everybody. We know a number of families who have relocated here and like it, and there are some upscale commercial areas that have their draw, but appealing primarily to the wine and sushi set. Offhand, I cannot think of any place around here that I would describe as "laid-back-no-worries-surfer-style."

I don't mean to discourage you, and by all means make a visit and stay absolutely as long as possible to get a feel for the place, but please come in with your eyes open. The only place I'm aware of along the SE coast that may fit that description is Folly Beach, just outside Charleston, but even it is changing quickly, another victim of popularity. Still, Folly is a small area and residents are more or less residents of Charleston, which is the polar opposite of the attitude you say you're looking for. I wish you well and hope you can find what you're looking for.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:27 AM

Thank you for all the information. I hadn't heard of Folly beach before, so will look into it!

I want to mention - the two main draws that got me interested in MB is the beach its self of course - this is SUPER important to me, and we will want to live on it or very close to it, AND all the attractions and things to do in the area. It seems like you would never get bored there with so much always going on, so many fun restaurants to try, and the beautiful scenery.

I like the idea of not living in the thick of things (we would not move to MB proper) but instead in one of the outlying areas either north or south of it, then be able to drive into it when we need some excitement.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:54 AM

312 posts, read 732,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniHeartsBeach View Post
Thank you for all the information. I hadn't heard of Folly beach before, so will look into it!

I want to mention - the two main draws that got me interested in MB is the beach its self of course - this is SUPER important to me, and we will want to live on it or very close to it, AND all the attractions and things to do in the area. It seems like you would never get bored there with so much always going on, so many fun restaurants to try, and the beautiful scenery.

I like the idea of not living in the thick of things (we would not move to MB proper) but instead in one of the outlying areas either north or south of it, then be able to drive into it when we need some excitement.

Hey there....just thought about you this morning talking with a new friend of mine....she lives in Wilmington and just moved here from LA.......she said that Wilmington is a really good mix and thought you might want to check it out there first before coming to Myrtle Beach.....it is close to the beaches but still has access to more employment and more things a city can offer you......so I thought I would mention it! Again....whatever your decision, best wishes...and there are a lot of places in Wilmington that feel like country living and you will not be in the thick of it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area