Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2010, 08:18 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,544,694 times

Advertisements

I will probably add to this as I think them up.......

What is the best time of year and place to look for sea shells?

What is the best time of the year to buy local Florida citrus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 01:48 PM

What is considered the "high" season in the Naples area?

I am here. The weather is perfect. Things are not crowded and the traffic is not bad. When do all the other snow birds fly in??

Old 11-10-2010, 04:46 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,294,072 times
There's a walk called "the seashell crawl", or "stingray shuffle" for walking along the water's edge looking for shells. And if you go, wear some sort of foot protection, like flipflops, crocs (walmart sells them pretty cheap) or those netted slipper type things; the broken shells are brutal on your feet.
The best time to go shelling is at low tide, or just prior to. Bring a netted bag and make sure when you get them home, rinse them with clean water & bleach, then rinse with clean water. NOTE: it's illegal to take live shells, so be careful to throw them back.

I don't know where to tell you to shell. I don't know much about N. Naples. I used to go to Marco beaches, but haven't in a # of years. (since moving down here. As a tourist it was fun though.)
Shelling is year round by-the-way. It's just that you see the tourists doing it "in-season" more than folks who live here year round.

The week of Thanksgiving things start getting pretty congested. All the restaurants are open, and get pretty crowded. Some people wait til just before Christmas though. But I notice each year people have been coming earlier. (b/4 Halloween!)
Look in the Walmart & Publix parking lots. They're already here. And this year I saw many out-of-state plates never left!

As far as Florida citrus, I'm not sure what you mean?
You mean those packages you can send home to friends and relatives.
Save your money. The oranges grown here are juice oranges, not eating oranges. And they are pretty unattractive. Those pretty ones you see being shipped home are sent here from California. (Yes, I know people will argue with me on that, but go to an orchard and ask-there are many on East Tamiami Trail, south/east of Rt 951) And before I knew this and was here on vacation, I couldn't understand why oranges were more expensive here than up north.
Plus, I don't know how they are sold up north; it used to sell by a certain quantity per a certain price. Now they are sold by weight! I think that's rediculious! But, to answer your question, my neighbors' trees are looking good. Some are ready, and I think the cold/cool weather we've had is probably making them alittle sweeter too. I only use the lemons across the street though. (Not much of an orange/grapefruit gal.)

You might want to go to some of the various farmers' markets around.
I believe there's one on Sat.s on Imokolee Rd, out by the fairground.
There's one on Saturday mornings downtown.
There used to be one at St Paul's? Episcopal Church, Davis Rd. on Saturdays too, but I don't know if they still have it.
I go to the one on Marco Island, Veteran's Park, on Wednesday mornings.
And some of those vendors are the ones you'll see at the saturday ones.

So now tell us...is this your first year here? How did you come to find Naples? Where are you from?
Are you a "snowbird", or just on a vacation?

Old 11-10-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
So now tell us...is this your first year here? How did you come to find Naples? Where are you from?
Are you a "snowbird", or just on a vacation?
If avoiding shoveling snow like I had to last winter in NJ (5 significant snow storms), I guess I am a snow bird. We have a condo in NJ, a townhouse in SC and a condo in Naples. I have been retired since July 2009.

The original plan was to retire full time to SC. I do love it there and the townhouse is the nicest of the three properties (purchased new and furnished when there was more money to spend). However it does get cold there and pool and beach activities end around the middle of October.

The search for an endless summer brought us to SW Florida last January (when it was cold even here!) and we closed on the Naples condo this past March. This is my third stay in Naples.

Anyway, the dog and I spent October in SC and headed down here on Halloween. My wife has opted to stay in NJ for the time being. I plan to spend the winter in Naples.......

Thank you for all the information.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:11 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,294,072 times
Hope you enjoy your stay and the wife meets up with you for the holidays.
If you're a vet, there's lots of free stuff, or discounted, for tomorrow and, I think, the weekend.
Read the Naples Daily News, Marco Island Eagle, and The News Press.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:04 AM

33 posts, read 89,140 times
Sanibel Island is without a doubt the best shelling beach in the area. It is about an hours drive. There are several public beaches on the island. Our favorite is Gulfside City Park. You will need quarters for the parking meters there. It all depends too on what types of shells you are looking for as to which beach on Sanibel. There is a causeway fee of $6 to enter the island. Watch for tide charts and go right before low tide. It is very shelly so wear sand shoes. There are several stores on the island that sell real good ones.

As you enter the island there is a chamber of commerce on the right after going over the causeway, and before you get to the stop sign. Be sure to stop in there for lots of information on shelling and the island.

I have been going to Sanibel for many years and love it. I recently moved to Naples, so that I could be close to the island.

Dogs are also allowed on Sanibel.

Last edited by AmyLiz; 11-13-2010 at 03:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples