Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 03:51 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,732,656 times

Advertisements

I have an investment condo in a city up north. I’m seriously considering selling it and buying a place in SW Florida where I could rent it seasonally and use part of the year myself.

My one hold up is with flooding from either storms or eventual sea level rise. How do you all deal with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2020, 06:42 PM

18,452 posts, read 8,282,661 times
...sea level rise is about 3mm/yr.....buy something a least a foot above sea level

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/sl..._meantrend.png

Old 12-16-2020, 05:33 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Since you’re posting in the Naples forum look at Hurricane Irma in 2017 and the aftermath.

Irma made landfall as a Cat 3 but the storm surge wasn’t as bad as anticipated. My home off of Immokalee Rd east of 75 was built on fill, around 25’ or so above sea level. Not even in a flood zone, and there was no risk of flooding.

There were some damaged mobile homes in Everglades City but Naples overall was minimally affected except for a lot of tree, roof and lanai screen damage.

I believe Irma was the first storm of its type/strength to hit the SWFL coast since Donna in 1960.

If you buy in Naples Park then there is more risk, but anything new is likely to be further inland and in Zone X - again, due to how they plan out communities and using fill to raise lots up.

And if you’d be buying a condo, I wouldn’t worry about it.

Old 12-16-2020, 08:53 AM

78 posts, read 75,513 times
Anywhere can Flood in SWFL, if you have enough surge and additional torrential rain for days - anything is possible - it's about weather !

Old 12-17-2020, 07:28 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,201,891 times
If you are concerned with flooding, buy a new or newer property that is elevated under the new building codes and flood insurance guidelines or better yet buy somewhere outside a flood zone. It's pretty simple actually.

Old 12-18-2020, 05:09 PM

45 posts, read 37,739 times
We live East of 75 in a new development, located in FEMA Zone X, that has been elevated so that flood insurance is not required by lenders. However, I decided to purchase insurance anyway. I am not worried about ocean surge but i am worried about storms like those that have stalled over the Houston area for several days and have dropped 30+ inches of rain. The modest cost of the insurance (less than $500 per year) provides me with peace of mind.

Old 12-19-2020, 08:25 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,364,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationNaples View Post
We live East of 75 in a new development, located in FEMA Zone X, that has been elevated so that flood insurance is not required by lenders. However, I decided to purchase insurance anyway. I am not worried about ocean surge but i am worried about storms like those that have stalled over the Houston area for several days and have dropped 30+ inches of rain. The modest cost of the insurance (less than $500 per year) provides me with peace of mind.

Totally agree.

FEMA states that 20% of all flood claims and one third of flood assistance go to properties in low risk flood zones like Zone X. I also am east of 75 and in Zone X but have flood coverage (in Gateway, not Naples). It is not the storm surge that is the issue, it is flooding from all of the small lakes, retention ponds, and flow ways from large rain events. Two weeks prior to Irma hitting, we had a deluge that caused some street flooding and then Irma dumped on top of that. My community flooded but the water did not get into any structures (water was two thirds of the way up my driveway and about a foot from my lanai). But two communities across the road just a few hundred feet away did flood inside homes. All it takes is for one weir down stream to get clogged and everything behind it starts to flood.

Small price to pay to insure against what could be a large loss.

Old 12-19-2020, 04:23 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,732,656 times
Thanks everyone. I do think I will get flood insurance. I've told my agent specifically to only show me places in low-risk areas, but getting a little peace of mind is worth it.

Old 12-19-2020, 05:20 PM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,364,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
Thanks everyone. I do think I will get flood insurance. I've told my agent specifically to only show me places in low-risk areas, but getting a little peace of mind is worth it.

When you are searching, don't limit yourself to the FEMA policies. They are limited in what they cover and are capped as to coverage amount. There are private insurers that offer far more coverage for a lower rate. I switched to Lloyds a few years ago and got far better coverage for hundreds of dollars less than my former FEMA policy.

Old 12-20-2020, 06:42 AM

2,128 posts, read 2,357,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
Don't move to SW FL and base your search on Flooding. Its rare and you'll end up being in a location you don't love.

Also - flood insurance covers 'water intrusion', its not limited to hurricanes. Bad hurricanes are more rare compared to just a bad storm that lingers and can cause flooding. For condo owners, its good to have because it covers a problem in another unit that leaks into yours!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples