Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 06:52 AM

19 posts, read 23,281 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We're a young family currently located in California about 20 minutes from Malibu. We're looking at making the move in the next year-ish to the SWFL area. We've been doing research and scouring real estate sites looking for properties, but without knowing the true positives/negatives about communities it's hard to make an educated decision. We've been looking at Naples, Sarasota, Cape Coral, Marco Island, Longboat Key, Sanibel, Captiva, etc.

Some background -

-Family with two kids (6 and 3), so looking for great public schools or easy commute to well regarded private school(s)
-We work remotely, so work commute is not an issue
-Looking for waterfront property (coastal, not lake)
-Looking to spend UP TO $2 million for the right home (3000 sq ft +)
-Want to be within easy commute for family activities (not super isolated)
-Want a VERY safe, upscale suburban-esque area

For example, we were looking at Marco Island, but after more research it seems be relatively secluded and a hike for any sort of big box shopping, etc. (we don't want to drive 40 minutes to get to a Target, in a perfect world).

Without being able to spend substantial time in Florida before moving, we're just kinda at a loss as to what of the SWFL communities best fit the bill. Naples seems beautiful, but also the most expensive (even 2 mill doesn't get you a house with coastal access).

We'd appreciate any insight you guys can provide - I know how valuable it was to consult with locals when we moved to our current location in Southern California!

Last edited by sunshinejenn; 08-02-2020 at 07:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2020, 09:46 AM

731 posts, read 768,560 times
Since you have young children make sure whatever community/area you choose is a family friendly one. Look for pools in backyards with swim toys, swingsets, basketball hoops in the driveways, etc. Get into these communities on open house day to see if it has more families walking around, or just retirees. Observe.

Are you looking for a community with a pool, tennis, etc? Gates? Country club, golf? Or are you looking for a single family home near the gulf? Not sure what $2,000,000 gets on the gulf. Don't even know if this exists???

I live in Naples. Generally speaking the single family homes near the gulf are geared towards retirees as is a lot of areas in Naples. Pelican Bay in Naples is a beautiful area with single family homes and condos bordering the gulf. It has a beautiful private gulf front beach with chairs and towels waiting for you along with a restaurant. It'll cost you to live there, but a beautiful upscale area. I would say it has more retirees living there, not families. I believe Naples has a good school district. I do know that the Riverstone Community has lots of families, but not near the gulf.

Naples is a busy area with lots of restaurants and shopping . Most is upscale depending on the area you decide. Compare it to Sanibel Island and Captiva which is beautiful but pretty isolated . Which do you prefer?

I would say that Marco Island doesn't fit your needs. Take Cape Coral off your list. It doesn't even compare to the other places you've listed. I know Sarasota is a good area, I'm just not too familiar with it.

JMHO If I were spending $2 million on a house, without a doubt I'd buy in Naples.

Old 08-02-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtondo View Post
Since you have young children make sure whatever community/area you choose is a family friendly one. Look for pools in backyards with swim toys, swingsets, basketball hoops in the driveways, etc. Get into these communities on open house day to see if it has more families walking around, or just retirees. Observe.

Are you looking for a community with a pool, tennis, etc? Gates? Country club, golf? Or are you looking for a single family home near the gulf? Not sure what $2,000,000 gets on the gulf. Don't even know if this exists???

I live in Naples. Generally speaking the single family homes near the gulf are geared towards retirees as is a lot of areas in Naples. Pelican Bay in Naples is a beautiful area with single family homes and condos bordering the gulf. It has a beautiful private gulf front beach with chairs and towels waiting for you along with a restaurant. It'll cost you to live there, but a beautiful upscale area. I would say it has more retirees living there, not families. I believe Naples has a good school district. I do know that the Riverstone Community has lots of families, but not near the gulf.

Naples is a busy area with lots of restaurants and shopping . Most is upscale depending on the area you decide. Compare it to Sanibel Island and Captiva which is beautiful but pretty isolated . Which do you prefer?

I would say that Marco Island doesn't fit your needs. Take Cape Coral off your list. It doesn't even compare to the other places you've listed. I know Sarasota is a good area, I'm just not too familiar with it.

JMHO If I were spending $2 million on a house, without a doubt I'd buy in Naples.
Thanks for this! Interesting about Cape Coral - thanks for that tidbit!

My husband wants to be near the Gulf. He aspires to live the boating life, so definitely looking for a single family home on the water...somewhere.

Old 08-02-2020, 09:57 AM

214 posts, read 286,415 times
A good realtor can steer you toward family friendly communities in Naples (and no, I'm not a realtor nor trying to sell you on one!)
The best elementary schools in Collier County Public Schools are generally considered to be Laurel Oak off Immokallee Rd just east of 75 (so not coastal), Pelican Marsh on Airport Rd (closer but still not coastal), or Seagate near Waterside shops and much closer to coastal homes. The tip above is definitely a good one - as you drive through communities, watch for kids on bikes, basketball hoops, and signs of ongoing family life! Searching during the summer will also give a glimpse into the % of homes closed up tight for summer.

Old 08-02-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnc99 View Post
A good realtor can steer you toward family friendly communities in Naples (and no, I'm not a realtor nor trying to sell you on one!)
The best elementary schools in Collier County Public Schools are generally considered to be Laurel Oak off Immokallee Rd just east of 75 (so not coastal), Pelican Marsh on Airport Rd (closer but still not coastal), or Seagate near Waterside shops and much closer to coastal homes. The tip above is definitely a good one - as you drive through communities, watch for kids on bikes, basketball hoops, and signs of ongoing family life! Searching during the summer will also give a glimpse into the % of homes closed up tight for summer.
Thanks! Part of the reason I'm here on the forums is because we CAN'T go drive through the communities (at least, for some time) since we're based here in California and not traveling at the moment (family/work obligations). Hopefully sometime in the near future, but love getting some input in advance so we can potentially narrow our search .

Old 08-02-2020, 11:17 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtondo View Post
This would work well for non-HOA communities. Ones with a HOA in Naples generally prohibit swing sets and basketball hoops in the driveway. You also can’t leave bikes or toys out.

OP, you’re in a good spot budget-wise that will give you a lot of choice, just keep in mind that the typical Naples (and SWFL) demographic doesn’t fit you at all. You’re too young with kids to fit the Gulf Coast retired money set, and you’re too wealthy to fit the family-friendly HOA community kind who will spend maybe $700-900K for a home in Riverstone or Stone Creek.

I’m assuming since you’re WFH that you need solid cell and internet connectivity. The good news is that Naples has good options there. I’d be a bit more nervous about a place like Sanibel or Captiva.

Are you looking to socialize with others? Have your kids play with others?

Also when you say 20 min from Malibu does that mean on the coast or in a place like Thousand Oaks or Westlake Village? What do you like and hate now? What are your expectations of SWFL?

I’m sure you realize that $2m gets you a lot more house than in SoCal, except perhaps an estate right on the gulf.

Lastly, unlike SoCal, you get months of heat and humidity in Naples, and tons of snowbirds during winter season. I would recommend before committing to spend at least a couple of weeks in Naples both in season and out of season.

Old 08-02-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
This would work well for non-HOA communities. Ones with a HOA in Naples generally prohibit swing sets and basketball hoops in the driveway. You also can’t leave bikes or toys out.

OP, you’re in a good spot budget-wise that will give you a lot of choice, just keep in mind that the typical Naples (and SWFL) demographic doesn’t fit you at all. You’re too young with kids to fit the Gulf Coast retired money set, and you’re too wealthy to fit the family-friendly HOA community kind who will spend maybe $700-900K for a home in Riverstone or Stone Creek.

I’m assuming since you’re WFH that you need solid cell and internet connectivity. The good news is that Naples has good options there. I’d be a bit more nervous about a place like Sanibel or Captiva.

Are you looking to socialize with others? Have your kids play with others?

Also when you say 20 min from Malibu does that mean on the coast or in a place like Thousand Oaks or Westlake Village? What do you like and hate now? What are your expectations of SWFL?

I’m sure you realize that $2m gets you a lot more house than in SoCal, except perhaps an estate right on the gulf.

Lastly, unlike SoCal, you get months of heat and humidity in Naples, and tons of snowbirds during winter season. I would recommend before committing to spend at least a couple of weeks in Naples both in season and out of season.
You guessed it right - we're in Westlake Village. You must be familiar with SoCal!

We love suburbia. Ample parking, extremely safe, and very clean. We used to be closer to Hollywood and HATED IT. Way too busy and city-like for our liking.

Both of us are originally from out East, so we are familiar with humidity. Not necessarily looking forward to it, but familiar with it.

In an IDEAL world, we'd be on the Gulf in a single family home, somewhere in a surburban-esque paradise. It's very possible that $2m won't buy us that. We definitely need to be on the water, and somewhere very safe.

Old 08-02-2020, 11:49 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinejenn View Post
You guessed it right - we're in Westlake Village. You must be familiar with SoCal!

We love suburbia. Ample parking, extremely safe, and very clean. We used to be closer to Hollywood and HATED IT. Way too busy and city-like for our liking.

Both of us are originally from out East, so we are familiar with humidity. Not necessarily looking forward to it, but familiar with it.

In an IDEAL world, we'd be on the Gulf in a single family home, somewhere in a surburban-esque paradise. It's very possible that $2m won't buy us that. We definitely need to be on the water, and somewhere very safe.
My wife lived for a couple of decades in TO and I know the area as well. She used to go to the Starbucks in Westlake a lot.

Note there’s humidity and then there is Florida humidity. 5-6 months of 80-90+ degree temperatures with 80-90+% humidity.

Safety will NOT be an issue for you. Naples is clean, safe, well-policed.

Check out The Moorings - this might give you close to what you want. Near the water (or on a waterway), near the beach and has a bit of a community feel.

https://www.realtyofnaples.com/Naple...&sorttype=DESC

Note that Naples is still a bit of an odd duck, as is all of SWFL. You exchange all the fake Hollywood fawning for a vibe that caters to entitled wealthier Boomer seniors, many from the Midwest who did well and wanted to retire in a warm place and play golf.

The benefits are great dining and shopping, a clean and safe environment, no income tax and minimal nanny state governance. But in season it can get mildly frustrating with all of the snowbirds and vacationers around.

Again, I strongly recommend spending a week or 2 in the new year and again mid year (assuming COVID cooperates) before making a total commitment to buy.

Old 08-02-2020, 12:35 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,090,970 times
it's been a while since I looked at waterfront down there, but the first place I thought of when the $2M waterfront budget was mentioned was Aqualane Shores. A quick look at Zillow shows me that it's not a even remotely a player at that price point anymore.

Royal Harbor across the bay, is closer to that price as is Naples Park, but there are a lot of homes over that. The streets with waterfront are typically nice in Naples Park, but the rest of it ranges from so so to OK.

Sanibel/Captiva are amazing places, but access to any but the most basic shopping is a chore, especially during season. It has taken us 45 minutes to an hour just to get to the Sanibel side of the causeway from the north end of Sanibel or Captiva.

There are some smaller neighborhoods in Bonita along Spring Creek, the Imperial and Estero Rivers, that have gulf access waterfront, but again, the surrounding areas are not that great in some of them.

You could probably get something decent on the bay side of Bonita Beach for that budget. They're not really neighborhoods per se, and Hickory Blvd is a busy road. Easy gulf access though and walk across the street to the beach.

Old 08-02-2020, 12:42 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,357,665 times
As a FL realtor who spent most of his life in FL (Orlando, Central FL, Miami, Naples/Bonita), I'll chime in for you.

Oceanfront for $2ML? Very tough in Florida. I see why you like Sanibel/Captiva, because its actually possible there. In Naples, no chance. South Ft Myers Beach? Yes, some pop up here and there. You'll find a lot will have beach views, but have some sort of marsh or water blocking you from walking to the beach. Or you'll be on a large lagoon type body of water where you can take your boat out to the ocean (See below, this house is for sale for 2.5ML and its the only one on that peninsula that has 'wide-bay' views)
Moving to SWFL - Naples/Sarasota/Cape Coral-beachhouse.jpg

Sanibel is great, a lot less secluded than Captiva. Its about $6 (toll) to go over the bridge to hit your Whole Foods, Target, etc and its probably 30mins+ each way and 45+ in season (Periwinkle way is the only real road in Sanibel and that 4-way stop backs up considerably). If you don't want Marco (which has A LOT more compared to Sanibel) then you won't like Sanibel/Captiva.

Cape Coral - for a waterfront, large home to have your boat and get out to the gulf, its great. Schools? Eh, I would sacrifice my house for a townhome and live in Naples so my kid could go to a Naples school, but that's just me.

Bonita/Estero - not a ton of families, but more than Marco & Sanibel for sure. Water front homes - yes. Not like the ones pictured above, but on a canal or 'bay' where you can get your boat out to the ocean relatively easily. Not far from Ft Myers, which is a great small airport and has hubs for Jet Blue & Southwest as well as AA & Delta and others (better than Sarasota airport)

Now let's discuss Naples - from what I'm reading, it sounds like you'll love Naples. I work remotely, I lived in the city (before having kids) and now I appreciate suburbia (I used to despise it) and really want a place with Great Schools. Naples fits the bill for me. I don't think they have a bad school in the entire district.
The person above mentioned 3 great elementary schools, and the 3rd one by the waterside shops is great for where you want to live. Laurel Oak is very West and will take you 20-25 mins to get to the beach. But you can have a newer, large, gorgeous house in a full amenity community for about $650k-$800k. And you'll have the pick of the litter as those are the ones struggling to sell right now.
$350k? - $400k? Flies off the market.. $2ML water front homes? Being scooped up by people wanting to escape taxes/snow/Corona (until recently), etc from the Midwest and North East. There is still PLENTY of people with money (like yourself) wanting a big, nice home in Florida. Don't let anyone tell you different. Stock market is still strong, interest rates are super low, and Florida is VERY desirable compared to other states right now. There has also been a minor 'exodus' from California to Florida. I think you're the 5th person just this year that i've written to/spoken to about coming here from there. And i'm just 1 person, imagine the other 100k agents in Florida.

Naples has not only great schools, but tons of shopping, its a very, very 'clean' city and well taken care of. Lots of beaches to choose from, amazing golf courses that are very cheap in Summertime, and nice outdoor parks to play sports/games. And you're only 2 hours to Miami and 90 minutes to Broward (Weston area & Ikea) fort lauderale airport is great also (although longer security waits some times on holiday season). And FLL is a very large Cruise Terminal.

My other recommendation is Sarasota. Its a younger crowd, very 'artistic', closer to Tampa. Also has great shopping, but it can have an 'older' feel to it as far as homes/locations. There are some not-so-nice areas of Sarasota and not every school is A+ like Naples. Siesta Key Beach isn't far away and its one of the best in Florida (Because the sand is so nice, better than the East coast. But East coast ocean is better than west coast gulf). Sarasota has some great restaurants and probably a better food scene than Naples/Bonita. (After all my years in Miami, I do miss the amazing dining scene they had compared to SW FL)

Best thing I can recommend is to get with a good agent and have them set up a Drip campaign of properties and area reports. You can get property updates daily,weekly,monthly, whatever you prefer.

I hope that helps, I know its a lot to take in. You're going to have to spend some time here. I hear you on not wanting to travel right now. Hopefully that will change soon and you can spend a few weekends in each part of town to get a better feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples