Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 11:55 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,284,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 167878 View Post
I would rather skip the 4 years and go straight to a well paying 'job'...
I dont think there are any high paying jobs for high IQ types such as yourself. The regular folks that make the entry-level hiring decisions generally take the safe path and like to see talent molded, tested and certified by a good school. Check out the Google Inc hiring requirements for example (genius + ivy league school).

It is possible for persons with limited education to rise above average income in "jobs", but this must be with a company that places a high value on merit rather than credentials, and it can take a lifetime and luck to make it happen.

The only path for the young high-talent/IQ person who is very impatient would be direct entrepeneurship I would think, with an all-consuming obsession and perseverence, and it looks like this is your chosen path at this particular moment, but you are going to have to make 1000 things execute perfectly, and maybe wipe out 5 times before you figure out how to pull a profit margin out of an enterprise, and then learn about managing risk when you lose it all due to overconfidence.

Either path is hard, and many avoid education because it is hard, and this buys them a decade or so of comfortable delusion, before reality starts to set in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 05:12 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
And without money, none of that is going to work.

Once again, we need to know what he is doing right now that is so much better than school.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:26 PM

108 posts, read 317,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
So what are you doing instead? What are you doing now?
Oh!? Reality isn't a friendly place, too bad too bad another surreal dream squashed mashed and served w/a side of:think ::confused :...dog nab it - toilets aren't my thing.
....What am I doing now? That's a question I'll have to ask my superiors. Though I can give you a hint: many things

Oh, I wouldn't avoid education merely b/c it is hard. Ha! I do things b/c they are hard- but then they get easy -the key is to constantly challenge yourself.

Financial Architecture...hmmm, there is a wise field of study if you are one who is stacking paper bills, though, how long will it take for the masses to find the lies, the fraud, seeing them for what they are...75%cotton and 25%linen? Albeit, it is a safe venture in the meantime...I like the idea of 600k a yr, livin' cheap, cashin out, nice dream eh?- I'll look into it...

Hey I don't blame Google, I'd do the same...

Anyone else know of careers that make beaucoup bucks? Not that I'd take any enjoyment in them, but hey, slave for a decade and smell the roses for the rest of your life sounds nicer than work 45years in a career you used to like, but now it's just old and now your too old to enjoy what you could have and so on and so forth. (not that I'm planning on that, I'd slave for a decade to slave for the rest..it'll need more explaining...)
Yea, I don't think there are any high paying 'yobs' either.
Bullseye on the direct entrepreneurship - at the moment. A risky game the game of life, win or lose, toss the dice...wish me luck, I'll need every bit.

Keep the ideas flowing...right now I'm in the 'beginning' stages and have a far way to go, though a 'clear' (for lack of a better adjective) path in sight. Step 1, start making enough money to have spare time (I have a 'few' things to learn) and capital to get the show on the road...... I have several paths, one issue is that I've heard the line at the patent office is even longer than the wait at the DMV.

-Again, thanks for all input...anyone wanna elaborate on the Naples money making hot spots? Ya know, incase mister mo dera ter wants ta say hello... "oh please don't moder8 me mister! please!"*faint*.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:50 PM

Well, there you are!

Ultimately, it is up to you, what you do, but just know that we are pulling for you.

I used to think that people that said, "If I had to do it all over, again..." were...actually, I didn't think about them at all. I just pretty much ignored it. And deep-down, when people said that being old was really tough on the body, I didn't think I'd get THAT old. I have no idea why I thought I was going to be different.

In other words, I didn't think.

But I'm happy to dish out advice at anytime. Just ask. In fact, as most of the people on this forum will attest, I give out advice even when people don't ask.

But yes, let's get back to the business of Naples, or getting business or lack thereof.

I still stick by my guns. A dating service. It came to me when we were discussing old, rich men leering at the young chicks at the bar or the pool.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
And without money, none of that is going to work.

Once again, we need to know what he is doing right now that is so much better than school.
What good is a car without gas?....Myself without *enough* money. What I'm trying to do instead of college is make money asap. Say it, fives times fast...make money asap make money asap make money asap make money asap make money asap make money asap...was that six times? sorry, was too busy thinking of money............................................. ...............................
OH NO! I just looked in the mirror and, my face, it, it just grew a plastic pimple! I -THINK- I-AM-GOING-TO-MELT!Hey, where'd all these Munchkinds come from? Hey! Stop it! stop singing, no stop nooooo

Old 11-10-2009, 06:59 PM

I understand. Trust me. I need to make money ASAP, too. Christmas is already cancelled. That's a given. Right now, paying the mortgage is the issue. At least there is plenty of food in the pantry. It could be much, much worse.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:04 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,284,816 times
"I have several paths, one issue is that I've heard the line at the patent office is even longer than the wait at the DMV."

I have had some exposure to this game. After doing a lot of reading, developing an invention myself, going through the filing process myself, then working with a patent lawyer, getting to know some inventors that have had a few home runs, these are my conclusions:

1) 1/1000 patents end up making money... overcoming costs
2) fewer make money for the actual inventor
3) a patent is only worth something if you have a $200k legal warchest to defend it
4) any worthwhile patent will be violated and counterfeited
5) any worthwhile product will be challenged legally as violating someone else's patent
6) because of these factors, many garage stage creative entrepreneurs, though they may self file to create a basic level of protection, they focus rather on being first to market, and creating and marketing new products, moving to the next product once a legal challenge surfaces, rather than spending time in courts - though you do need patent protection to sell to Walmart etc
7) for entry level inventors, you may need to focus on very simple, easy to prototype injection mould products that can go into low volume market test production for $100k or less rather than $500k which is more typical for a very simple electronic product for example, if you need to get electronic engineers involved - adjusted for personal circumstances. The key is to get to market testing for as low dollars as possible, so that you can take as many rolls of the dice as possible...hard to know what people are going to buy. I would advise capitalization to make 10 rolls.

for a more positive take on this, a good guy to read is the fellow that invented sweater shavers, multi-plex theatres and Skyy vodka.

• Secrets from an Inventor's Notebook, Maurice Kanbar
and this guy

Change by Design - IDEO

Old 11-10-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Well, there you are!

Ultimately, it is up to you, what you do, but just know that we are pulling for you.

I used to think that people that said, "If I had to do it all over, again..." were...actually, I didn't think about them at all. I just pretty much ignored it. And deep-down, when people said that being old was really tough on the body, I didn't think I'd get THAT old. I have no idea why I thought I was going to be different.

In other words, I didn't think.

But I'm happy to dish out advice at anytime. Just ask. In fact, as most of the people on this forum will attest, I give out advice even when people don't ask.

But yes, let's get back to the business of Naples, or getting business or lack thereof.

I still stick by my guns. A dating service. It came to me when we were discussing old, rich men leering at the young chicks at the bar or the pool.
I too at one point thought myself to be indestructible...fooled by youth. I dearly appreciate the support
dating service dating service dating service.........An Upscale Hooters! Seriously, I as well as Hiknapster claim all rights and royalties in regards to this revolutionary idea and expect a fair slice of the pie if this idea is to be implemented. {by slice of pie, I mean a percentage of monetary value including profit obtained from such a business, if you wanna get all siamese legalese on me-this business idea has been documented and copy righted and locked in a vault if so the occasion arises where proof of claims need to be brought to account} [oh great, now some rich jerk is going to stumble across this thread after an extensive internet search on 'hooters' and steal the idea]

Old 11-10-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post
"I have several paths, one issue is that I've heard the line at the patent office is even longer than the wait at the DMV."

I have had some exposure to this game. After doing a lot of reading, developing an invention myself, going through the filing process myself, then working with a patent lawyer, getting to know some inventors that have had a few home runs, these are my conclusions:

1) 1/1000 patents end up making money... overcoming costs
2) fewer make money for the actual inventor
3) a patent is only worth something if you have a $200k legal warchest to defend it
4) any worthwhile patent will be violated and counterfeited
5) any worthwhile product will be challenged legally as violating someone else's patent
6) because of these factors, many garage stage creative entrepreneurs, though they may self file to create a basic level of protection, they focus rather on being first to market, and creating and marketing new products, moving to the next product once a legal challenge surfaces, rather than spending time in courts - though you do need patent protection to sell to Walmart etc
7) for entry level inventors, you may need to focus on very simple, easy to prototype injection mould products that can go into low volume market test production for $100k or less rather than $500k which is more typical for a very simple electronic product for example, if you need to get electronic engineers involved - adjusted for personal circumstances. The key is to get to market testing for as low dollars as possible, so that you can take as many rolls of the dice as possible...hard to know what people are going to buy. I would advise capitalization to make 10 rolls.

for a more positive take on this, a good guy to read is the fellow that invented sweater shavers, multi-plex theatres and Skyy vodka.

• Secrets from an Inventor's Notebook, Maurice Kanbar
and this guy

Change by Design - IDEO
Now that ^ was quite useful. Say money(and greedy #!@!$%^!@#%!$#&*&%s) was a non issue ^, I would be set, (at least for a while)...I have a product that is LOW production cost AND I can almost GUARANTEE you will buy it...that is saying a lot... A LOT....a few tens of millions to get everything set up including marketing (this one deserves a slot on T.V.) and establishing a company...and viola cha-ching bingo was his name-o....I'm sure there are ways of working around legal issues and home made backyard Texan bull pie (b/c everything's bigger in Texas), and finding an investor that isn't going to stab you in the back_you'll be lucky now-a-days if it isn't a dull rusty blade...(my doctor advised I get a tetanus shot after he heard I was in the music industry)..... AND the major component to this launches' success is that I'M leading it...I know what needs to happen, it takes 1)TIME 2)MONEY 3)TIME IS MONEY
...really, it is such a useful product, it's cooler than the bee's knees and sliced bread combined...
...money money moeny moeny money money money money money moeney money yemaoy moeyn money...oh sorry I had a little THHSPAT* to keep things in tune...

Last edited by 167878; 11-10-2009 at 07:42 PM..

Old 11-11-2009, 05:48 PM

You know, I really hate talking about money, it's horrible. Think of all the things that you don't need, and you'll be left with what you can carry. And, I hate having to focus my energy on money, though, I have a greater vision to accomplish with it. If I had my pick in lifestyle, honestly, I'd work a farm all my days - rise with the sun and set with the sun, rejoice in the rains and mid-day shade...there I would find peace in my labor. It may sound 'silly' to everyone brainwashed into fitting in their mold a.k.a. society, and having the latest 'this n' that', but clean food, water, shelter, blue skies and green Earth - that is truly all I long for.
Thanks for reading, and still, I await more to join in and share their replies of the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples