Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 01:30 PM

75 posts, read 198,833 times

Advertisements

I have a few questions for people that have moved to the Nashville area from northern states, especially Pa.

Prices- Do you find the prices on food (produce,meat,etc), clothing,etc cheaper, expensive or comparable in Nashville compared to where you came from?

Meat
- Do you find the quality of meat better or worse? I'm originally from Monmouth County,NJ and we found the quality of meat to be very different then it was in NJ. Here they throw scraps into the meat, we never had that problem in NJ.

Farmers Markets
- Do you find that you can get cheaper prices at the farmers markets in and around Nashville? I know out here that isn't the case. The prices are pretty much the same as they are in the supermarkets and the farmer markets aren't that nice either.

Sorry if I'm being a pain with asking a lot of questions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 03:52 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,337,304 times
We moved here from WI.

I find the prices to be comparable with one glaring exception...dairy products...MUCH more expensive down here.

Meat - I can't be much help to you because we eat a lot of Ohio venison and don't buy much meat. When I do buy meat I don't concern myself with price as much as getting what I want. There's a nice butcher shop in Franklin that I go to, but I haven't had anything terrible from Publix or Harris Teeter. it's fine.

Farmer's Markets - I love the Franklin Farmers Market. We go there mostly for eggs. (In WI we had a little hobby farm and raised chickens...you can't stand grocery store eggs after you've "grown your own.") Again...I don't expect to really save money at a farmer's market, I go to the farmer's market for the quality and availability of what I want. But I don't think they're horribly expensive either.

The only thing I have to say does still stun me a bit is the high sales tax. We had 5% sales tax in WI...but we also had high state income tax...so it all comes out in the wash.

Old 08-14-2010, 04:19 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Dove View Post
I have a few questions for people that have moved to the Nashville area from northern states, especially Pa.

Prices- Do you find the prices on food (produce,meat,etc), clothing,etc cheaper, expensive or comparable in Nashville compared to where you came from? I find food generally cheaper, clothes are the same, but I shop mostly from catalogs/national stores

Meat
- Do you find the quality of meat better or worse? I'm originally from Monmouth County,NJ and we found the quality of meat to be very different then it was in NJ. Here they throw scraps into the meat, we never had that problem in NJ. I find it different. I asked for steak tips when I first moved here the butcher looked at me like was crazy. I still haven't found them regularly and they were my staple go to quick dinner in the northeast. I've never seen so many cuts of meat. Since moving here I've moved more and more to organic/local source meat and it is expensive but heads above anything I've had from the grocery store chains

Farmers Markets
- Do you find that you can get cheaper prices at the farmers markets in and around Nashville? I know out here that isn't the case. The prices are pretty much the same as they are in the supermarkets and the farmer markets aren't that nice either. It isn't cheaper than the grocery store. For example I can get ears of corn 10 for $10 this week at HT. I spent a lot more than that at the farmers market this morning... but they are organic/local

Hope this helps. One thing I love is that I can garden for much longer. I just planted fall "crops" in my back yard. This is the 2nd planting in my beds since I planted some things back in Feb and they were ready in June.

Also there are some amazing CSAs here both meat and veggie.

Old 08-14-2010, 04:26 PM

957 posts, read 3,700,226 times
Quote:

Prices- Do you find the prices on food (produce,meat,etc), clothing,etc cheaper, expensive or comparable in Nashville compared to where you came from?

Meat
- Do you find the quality of meat better or worse? I'm originally from Monmouth County,NJ and we found the quality of meat to be very different then it was in NJ. Here they throw scraps into the meat, we never had that problem in NJ.

Farmers Markets
- Do you find that you can get cheaper prices at the farmers markets in and around Nashville? I know out here that isn't the case. The prices are pretty much the same as they are in the supermarkets and the farmer markets aren't that nice either.

We moved from DE, but only spent a couple years there. Before that was NH. I find prices on groceries comparable. Electricity was cheaper in NH there but taxes were quite a bit higher. Auto insurance is also about 1/3 higher here.

I think the farmers market may be a little higher than the grocery store. We only went a couple times and I don't remember the pricing being that good a deal.

I never paid much attention to meat quality. I'd say it's comparable otherwise I'd have noticed a difference.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:39 PM

Thank you for the reply's!

Are there any nice orchards in Nashville or the surrounding areas that sell produce, bake goods,etc? Here we have a orchard close to our house that grows a lot of their produce(especially apples) and makes all their bake goods. Are there any orchard out there like that?

Old 08-14-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunky View Post
We moved here from WI.

I find the prices to be comparable with one glaring exception...dairy products...MUCH more expensive down here.
Can you give me a comparable of what you paid for dairy in WI VS TN? Do you know why dairy is much more expensive in TN? I don't understand why it's more expensive in TN!

Old 08-14-2010, 08:58 PM

253 posts, read 869,058 times
Quote:

Meat

Farmers Markets

We moved from Nashville to Philly and then back to Nashville

Prices: Prices vary, the restaurants are definitely cheaper here than in Philly, general grocery items tend to be the same in price, but produce does appear to be more expensive.

Meat: Considering there are tons of butchers and specialty shops in Philly, the quality of meat in Nashville does not compare to the selection we had in Philly. For meat now, I mostly shop at Harris Teeter & Whole Foods

Farmers Markets: Can't answer, haven't been to one in Nashville, but NOTHING can compare to Reading Terminal Market in Philly.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:38 PM

3,964 posts, read 10,633,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shino306 View Post

Farmers Markets: Can't answer, haven't been to one in Nashville, but NOTHING can compare to Reading Terminal Market in Philly.
NOTHING can compare with that heavenly place. Oh, the Amish apple dumpling goodness........

Old 08-15-2010, 04:14 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,871 times
Quote:
Thank you for the reply's!

Are there any nice orchards in Nashville or the surrounding areas that sell produce, bake goods,etc? Here we have a orchard close to our house that grows a lot of their produce(especially apples) and makes all their bake goods. Are there any orchard out there like that?
I haven't found one yet... I miss the farmers with bakeries, fresh veggies and most importantly ice cream...

I don't think there are a lot of orchards here and apple picking season is always over by the time I think about going.

Franklin Farmer Market does have vendor selling baked goods and such and usually there are mennonites/amish (i'm not sophisticated enough to tell the difference based on dress) selling too.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
I haven't found one yet... I miss the farmers with bakeries, fresh veggies and most importantly ice cream...

I don't think there are a lot of orchards here and apple picking season is always over by the time I think about going.

Franklin Farmer Market does have vendor selling baked goods and such and usually there are mennonites/amish (i'm not sophisticated enough to tell the difference based on dress) selling too.
There's Mennonites/Amish living in Tennessee/Nashville/areas surrounding Nashville? Do you see a lot of horse and buggies?

As far as dress Mennonites wear non-solid colors and Amish must wear solids only. Mennonites are allowed to drive cars Amish are not, even though they cheat by having people drive them around town, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville