Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 09:32 AM

73 posts, read 245,973 times

Advertisements

Hi, my parents are moving here to TN, we live in Brentwood and they are looking in surrounding areas about 45 minutes away from us in the $220-300k price range. One area they are considering is Rockvale, Rockvale Meadows subdivision to be specific. Does anyone have any info on this area, they like that there is no added city tax. Other areas they are considering are Burns, TN and Columbia TN. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 02:23 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,087,408 times
Why do they want to live so far out? The lady that sold me my house moved to Burns, but I don't know anything about that area. If my parents were moving here, I'd encourage them to live closer to Nashville. Easier to visit, and better access to great healthcare options. Sorry I can't be more helpful . . .

Old 12-14-2013, 03:28 PM

They want to move where they can get more for their money, they want at least a half acre and a brick home not too old in that price range. I would love for them to be in Franklin, but it is tough to get what they are looking for there on a 1/2-1 acre lot. Thanks

Old 12-14-2013, 05:44 PM

When I moved here a few years ago from CT, I thought I wanted a big yard, too. But after mowing my tiny yard a few times that first summer, I was really glad I couldn't afford one! I also think people believe they 'need' more house . . . even in my tiny house we have a guest room that is basically unused.

Might be good, when they visit, to get a RE agent to also show them homes in Franklin . . . I had a pretty set in stone idea of what I wanted, or I THOUGHT I wanted.

Access to hospitals and shopping and YOU and the symphony and Cheekwood and the airport . . . that drive out to Burns can get pretty old.

Anyway, here is a house in Crieve Hall that actually fits the criteria - it's brick and 1/2 an acre. Yes, I know, old house . . . but there might be something in Franklin with enough land, unless they are going to get chickens? Or llamas????

RealTracs Mid-South Real Estate Property Finder Listing Details

Best of luck! Hope someone else who is familiar with the Rockvale chimes in . . .

Old 12-14-2013, 07:30 PM

933 posts, read 2,741,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
When I moved here a few years ago from CT, I thought I wanted a big yard, too. But after mowing my tiny yard a few times that first summer, I was really glad I couldn't afford one! I also think people believe they 'need' more house . . . even in my tiny house we have a guest room that is basically unused.

Might be good, when they visit, to get a RE agent to also show them homes in Franklin . . . I had a pretty set in stone idea of what I wanted, or I THOUGHT I wanted.

Access to hospitals and shopping and YOU and the symphony and Cheekwood and the airport . . . that drive out to Burns can get pretty old.

Anyway, here is a house in Crieve Hall that actually fits the criteria - it's brick and 1/2 an acre. Yes, I know, old house . . . but there might be something in Franklin with enough land, unless they are going to get chickens? Or llamas????

RealTracs Mid-South Real Estate Property Finder Listing Details

Best of luck! Hope someone else who is familiar with the Rockvale chimes in . . .
Love this house (and Crieve Hall) looks like it's been renovated and it's got a bar!

Old 12-15-2013, 09:49 AM

First rule of real estate is location, location, location . . . . if they don't NEED a big house, they might be better off buying closer to you as property values are more likely to at least remain steady.

I have a friend with a 1940's bungalow in Studio City, CA (near Burbank) who just sold his "tear down" house (it was on a rather large lot for the neighborhood) for $818,000 and is buying a 5 bedroom 3 bath 3 car garage with a pool house in Henderson, Nevada (near Las Vegas) for $330,000. I'm not sure if he PLANNED this to happen but it really worked out well for him.

And it really is location. Of course if your folks really LIKE Rockvale, then that's important, too!

Old 12-16-2013, 09:50 AM

Very true, they just really like the idea of being out further. They don't mind a subdivision but want a good size lot. Thanks for all your input, you make very good points. I would love to hear of someone who lives in Burns or Rockvale to get a sense of the area for them.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:21 PM

Maybe post also in the general Tennessee forum? We're all pretty Nashville-centric for the most part . . .

Old 12-16-2013, 09:48 PM

764 posts, read 2,548,295 times
Rockvale is a quiet, sleepy community located on the outskirts of Murfreesboro in Rutherford County and is a perfect place for grandparents who wish to be close to their extended families but not in the middle of the hustle and bustle of a larger city/town. There's really not much to do there at all but it would be easy for your parents to visit/shop in either M'boro or Franklin/Cool Springs.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:24 PM

If your folks are in their 80's, then it sounds perfect . . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville