Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2014, 06:24 AM

3 posts, read 4,524 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are 29, and moving from the DC area in a year from now. His company is transfering to Gallatin, and we are excited to be moving into an area with a lower cost of living. Our concern is that we really like where we currently are (Old Town Alexandria) because it has a great historic charm and ALOT of walkable restaurants, bars, shops, dry cleaner/tailor,and grocery stores- about 16 blocks worth.

I've been reading through the forums and alot of neighborhoods are brough up often (12South, East End, Five Points, The Gulch), but when I look on Google Streetview, and they don't actually seem to have that many walkable amenities. I'm not sure if I am looking on the wrong streets or there just isn't going to be much hustle and bustle. I have also looked at neighboring towns/suburbs but couldn't find any with great Main Streets either. Since we don't have children, and probably won't for several years, we are looking to rent and learn the area before we buy.

My boyfriend thinks that maybe we should live Downtown to be closer to most of the nightlife, but I am concerned with lots of tourists... Is there a neighborhood that will provide us the walkability, and be somewhat close to Gallatin (or the highway to get him there in under 40 min)?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 06:27 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
You probably will be quite disappointed because there is nothing like Old Town here.

Downtown Nashville certainly has density, but yes, it is tourist-oriented, and finding ALL the daily-life amenities you mentioned will be a challenge.

This is a tough one, because Gallatin is OUT THERE, and the lower cost of living might be eaten up in commute costs. What is your rental budget?

I assume you commuted to DC?

Old 07-25-2014, 06:35 AM

He actually commutes into Maryland now, so it is relatively a short quick drive against traffic.

I knew we would never find anywhere like Old Town, but if we could find a little place with a few blocks of things to do- we'd be happy. On a map Gallatin looks pretty far, but I can't see relegating ourselves to the burbs quite yet

Old 07-25-2014, 06:46 AM

We don't have a rental budget narrowed down yet: but If we could find a 2 bedroom for less than $1000 a month we would be saving a lot of money. Is that a ressonable amount for the area?

Old 07-25-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajillte View Post
We don't have a rental budget narrowed down yet: but If we could find a 2 bedroom for less than $1000 a month we would be saving a lot of money. Is that a ressonable amount for the area?
That is right at the average in Nashville. In June the average 2BR rent was reported at $1048.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:15 AM

42 posts, read 61,031 times
If your used to commuting anywhere in the north east, the commute here will not seem bad. I would look around east Nashville for a place to live.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:59 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,722,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
That is right at the average in Nashville. In June the average 2BR rent was reported at $1048.
Unless you're downtown or the Gulch where it's closer to $2,000 for a 2-bd.

OPer - You will find nothing walkable anywhere like what you are used to. You will need to decide if you want to be closer to fun or closer to work. And then factor in the cost of which ever (more expensive living or the cost of commuting). You really need to sit down and run all the numbers for your particular situation because it's not as cheap as you may have been thinking.

I would not let the tourists deter you from living downtown.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:12 PM
nra

72 posts, read 268,677 times
East Nashville is the place I would choose for you all to be in.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,205 times
I am also in the same boat as kajillte, I am moving to Seattle from Alexandria in DC as well but I am there at the end of September and would love to find a cool spot to live with a good walkable live music scene. I will be working around 5th ave and olive. Any suggestions? I don't mind to drive 15 20 minutes to work.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josecsol View Post
I am also in the same boat as kajillte, I am moving to Seattle from Alexandria in DC as well but I am there at the end of September and would love to find a cool spot to live with a good walkable live music scene. I will be working around 5th ave and olive. Any suggestions? I don't mind to drive 15 20 minutes to work.
In Seattle?

You will get better responses in the Seattle forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville