Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2008, 10:53 AM

16 posts, read 37,946 times

Advertisements

I will be moving from the empty hole of Michigan to Mt. Juliet. I have never lived anywhere else in my 41 years of life and am nervous about the move. I have visited Nashville a few times, and really loved the people and the city. Any suggestions as to what I should look into as far as schools, doctors, vets, etc. I am excited but nervous too, we are leaving it all behind to start a new life. Any suggestions or advice would be grately appreciated!!!

Last edited by dfrannie; 12-30-2008 at 12:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 01:25 PM

39 posts, read 122,965 times
dfrannie,
Michigan refugee here. I would like to say welcome to the neighborhood but I'm currently living about 6 - 8 hours due east of your soon to be home. My husband and I were looking for work in and around the area you speak of, but I found a teaching job in Fayetteville, North Carolina so we moved there instead. The weather in North Carolina is almost identical to that of Tennessee. I know how you feel about being scared. The first 6 months were terrible as I became very homesick. Just keep telling yourself that it won't be forever and take it one day at a time. I do not regret leaving Michigan. I'm working in a profession I love which beats being cold, hungry,, and out of work in Michigan

Old 12-30-2008, 01:55 PM

2 posts, read 4,048 times
i too am thinking abou tmaking a move. I am thinking Cleveland maybe ooltewah area. i currenlty live in michigan as a car sales I am not worried about my company going under but I am simply working to support the welfare of everyone else in michigan and want to move where I can prosper. Also I just shoveled snow for a week and a 1/2 straight, then it rained and melted everything. I am a single mom with a 4 year old and need to do some research on country styleliveing that has good schools and trustworthy daycare. Amber

Old 12-30-2008, 02:53 PM

Thank you both for the advice. I just know there is really nothing left here in Michigan, and we are fortunate enough to have found work in Tennessee. I guess I am really going to have to get used to change. Michigan Refugee it is good to hear that you found something you love, and Tanis, I know things aren't going to get better here over night. I guess we both should "JUST DO IT".

Old 12-30-2008, 03:58 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,903,083 times
There are ALOT of people from Michigan down here in Middle Tennessee, You'd be supprised how many came down to work at the Saturn Plant in Spring Hill. It's amazing to see all the Red Wings fans during hockey season...

You'll be fine. Nashville doesn't take too long to get used to. Just don't fall into the trap that I fell into when I moved here, There is more than 1 Old Hickory Blvd. and they all go in different directions..

Old 12-30-2008, 10:17 PM

157 posts, read 1,093,956 times
I'm planning on moving down to that area this spring. The only thing that bothers me is the slumping job market there. I have a good job here, but my heart is down there. I hope I can find work. I'm kinda nervous.

I'm just north of the OP, in Farmington Hills.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:05 AM

35 posts, read 93,677 times
I lived in Michigan up until 2002. I first moved with family to East TN (Knoxville/Sevierville area), and I haven't really looked back since. Now I live in Nashville, and it's the perfect medium. You still have your countryside, yet you have a fairly large city with all of the amentities. The people are great, and the weather is way better than up there. You'll love it here!

Old 01-04-2009, 08:39 PM

I'm in Livonia...

Old 01-04-2009, 08:40 PM

I found the roads very confusing down there. I am sure I will get used to it.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:27 PM

7 posts, read 16,929 times
dfrannie congrats on finding work in TN..I too am in Michigan and want to move to TN...have been searching on career builders...I will finish my medical billing course this summer then will see...I have considered moving first and then my husband and kids will follow...everything is still up in the air..but I know we need to leave MI..I am not working and my husbands job is so so.....any advice? thanks. AlandDee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville