Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 09:04 AM

4 posts, read 13,947 times

Advertisements

I am considering a career change into teaching and am seeking information about our schools from people who truly know. In conversations with former teachers and others from the area the primary concern in regards to Metro schools, for them, is safety. I honestly believe that every child deserves educational opportunities and a teacher that is committed and understands that for some students there are barriers to learning that need to be addressed. However, and I will admit that this is selfish but I am just being honest, I have two young children and a family that I love dearly and I just do not think I am willing to put my life at risk in exchange for the fulfillment that I know teaching will bring ( I just can't fathom that this is truly a reality on a daily basis in our schools). The people I have spoken to have sited extreme gang violence at most metro high schools, teachers having guns pulled on them for issuing detentions for skipping, fights that often escalate out of control, and a general opinion that a teacher in Metro schools is more of a security officer/guidance counselor/classroom manager than an educator. Does anyone have insight that they can share "from the trenches?" Any teachers, parents with students in metro high schools, etc.?

FWIW - I know there are going to be posts that attack me and/or my questions - I am not asking for opinions on my worthiness, readiness, or aptitude for teaching, I have simply been unable to find many statistics or information regarding safety in our schools and am hoping to find some helfpul info here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 09:11 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,027,539 times
Why would anyone attack you? Those are legitimate concerns. Personally, I wouldn't teach in a Metro school unless a law was passed allowing teachers to carry heat. Metro schools are infested with crime, drugs, gangs, and illegals, rendering them unsafe for students and teachers alike. Why not apply in one of the surrounding counties, like Sumner or Williamson, where the schools are exponentially better AND safer?

Old 02-19-2009, 09:14 AM

4 posts, read 13,947 times
I am considering doing a program that specifically recruits teachers for high needs schools in Metro Nashville...

Old 02-19-2009, 09:25 AM

116 posts, read 440,000 times
I went to McGavock High about 10 years ago. It was the largest high school in the state at the time, and I believe it still is. There were many fights, but I wasn't aware of a lot of gang related activities. However, a lot can change in a decade.
As an aside, I think the more dedicated teachers we have in MNPS, the better. If we can instill a desire and passion for learning in students from a young age, by the time they get to high school they will be ready to make something of themselves. Gangs will fade out of the picture and cease to be a "cool" thing to be involved in. Some of my greatest heroes are teachers who made what they taught come alive, and inspired further independent research. Enough of my soap box.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:54 AM

43 posts, read 305,390 times
My mother has worked at several MNPS high schools. There are occasions where students get out of hand, but she has never had a gun pulled on her or been threatened with violence. I would say McGavock is one of the least safe schools in the area. However, what I have heard about the magnet schools is not as appalling. I honestly do not think you will have to fear too much crime here, or no more than any other large city.

I wouldn't take Pimpy's comment above to be true. I went to a Williamson County high school and we had students with knives and there was even a stabbing in our parking lot. Don't think that MNPS is the only one with problems... I think it depends upon the school, honestly.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:10 AM

1,036 posts, read 2,834,092 times
Fossie if you'd like to teach in Metro but are concerned with gang violence at the high school level is it possible for you to dip your toes in the water with an elementary or middle school?

Old 02-19-2009, 12:04 PM

933 posts, read 2,741,428 times
First of all gang problems reach far beyond Davidson County, including Williamson County where Brown Pride and MS-13 are alive and well. Many real estate agents and developers would like you you not believe this so they can sell you that newly built house in the shiny new subdivision, but they have issues just like Davidson county and other surrounding counties. Is it quite as bad, probably not. The whole program that you might participate in is to make a difference. That's the point. My wife teaches at a MNPS middle school (for 5 years) and thier problems with violence and gangs is almost zero. The whole scenerio that teachers are intimidated by students is laughable there. Of' course this is middle school not high school. If they see any student with any resemblance of gang affiliation they automatically suspend them on the spot. If you read the posts on here about Davidson county schools you would think your entering a high school in inner city NY in 1979, which is NO WHERE near the case. Of course that perception helps to sell houses in the other counties surrounding Davidson Co.

Last edited by yank283; 02-19-2009 at 12:31 PM..

Old 02-21-2009, 08:28 PM

172 posts, read 509,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fossie View Post
I am considering a career change into teaching and am seeking information about our schools from people who truly know. In conversations with former teachers and others from the area the primary concern in regards to Metro schools, for them, is safety. I honestly believe that every child deserves educational opportunities and a teacher that is committed and understands that for some students there are barriers to learning that need to be addressed. However, and I will admit that this is selfish but I am just being honest, I have two young children and a family that I love dearly and I just do not think I am willing to put my life at risk in exchange for the fulfillment that I know teaching will bring ( I just can't fathom that this is truly a reality on a daily basis in our schools). The people I have spoken to have sited extreme gang violence at most metro high schools, teachers having guns pulled on them for issuing detentions for skipping, fights that often escalate out of control, and a general opinion that a teacher in Metro schools is more of a security officer/guidance counselor/classroom manager than an educator. Does anyone have insight that they can share "from the trenches?" Any teachers, parents with students in metro high schools, etc.?

FWIW - I know there are going to be posts that attack me and/or my questions - I am not asking for opinions on my worthiness, readiness, or aptitude for teaching, I have simply been unable to find many statistics or information regarding safety in our schools and am hoping to find some helfpul info here!
I will say this, as a product of Metro Nashville Public Schools, that you are going to have issues and confrontations with students no matter where you decide to go. I truly believe that a school's principal and teachers have a lot to do with which direction the school is heading. Also, the support of the parents are important for the student's success. Check out the principal of the school(s) that you are interested in. What are they doing and how are they doing it? What is their plan of success? It is easy to look for the negative things about the schools because people will post those things before they post any of the good things that are going on. Remember, the nightly news will almost always show the bad things that happen in the schools, fights, gangs, guns, and so on. The good things such as full ride academic scholarships and students doing great things in their communities will usually get overshadowed by the bad publicity. Do not get me wrong, I am not attempting to sugar coat the bad but I want to remind you that there are still good things that are happening in MNPS system. Good luck!

Old 02-22-2009, 02:42 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,978,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yank283 View Post
First of all gang problems reach far beyond Davidson County, including Williamson County where Brown Pride and MS-13 are alive and well.
Bit of an exaggeration?

Old 02-23-2009, 03:34 PM

933 posts, read 2,741,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
Bit of an exaggeration?
NewsChannel 5.com - Nashville, Tennessee - Are Gangs Infiltrating Williamson Co. Schools?

"FRANKLIN, Tenn. - The Williamson County Sheriff's Office is investigating suspected gang activity at local schools.
The department has been looking into this since the beginning of the school year. The captain in charge of school resource officers at Centennial High in Franklin reported an increase in gang activity at the school. There have been two gang-related fights on campus this school year.
A few weeks ago a known gang member at the school was shot and killed.
"Gangs are everywhere," said Becky Williams, a concerned parent.
Now, they seem to have made their way to small-town Tennessee.
Gangs in Franklin, Gangs have been in Franklin for a long time," Williams said.
No longer can it be overlooked. For years, gangs have been considered a big-city problem..."

8 Men Vie For Williamson County Sheriff - Politics News Story - WSMV Nashville

"FRANKLIN, Tenn. -- Voters in Williamson County will be deciding on one of the biggest races in middle Tennessee on Aug. 7.
Eight people are vying to be the next Williamson County sheriff, an office long held by Ricky Headley.
Headley resigned from the office amid a drug scandal and his admission of involvement.

Williamson County residents know that people can't take a few steps without seeing a campaign sign for sheriff. Almost all of them said the biggest issues facing the county are illegal immigration and the rise of gangs in Williamson County schools..."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: