Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2010, 08:14 AM

58 posts, read 176,678 times

Advertisements

Interested in your advice on a sub divisions to look at in Brentwood and Franklin. Will be looking for at least 1 acre. Good schools (one grade 7 and one grade 10; public) are important. Price range of $350,000 -- $450,000. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 09:13 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
For years, Brentwood had a "one-acre, one house" rule, so you will find lots of older homes with that size lot. There are quite a few Brentwood homes in your price range that were built in the 70s and 80s. Most will have 8-foot ceilings and not as much of the open floor plan that is the norm today. But they will be in more established neighborhoods. You could probably afford a newer house with tall ceilings, granite countetops and stainless steel appliances in Franklin. That house would be in the 500s or 600s in Brentwood.

Both towns are great choices. I lived in Franklin for 10 years, then moved to Brentwood, so I'm going to suggest subdivisions here and leave Franklin recommendations to those who live there.

Brentwood is more expensive. Even so, I live in a 30-year-old house in a less expensive neighborhood. I recommend Bwood to people because it is smaller, safe, and has great schools and community stuff. The city commission donates extra money every year to schools in Brentwood. Brentwood High is one of the top public non-magnet schools in the state. Ravenwood is right there too, just has some crowding issues and pending zoning changes.

Brentwood has three middle schools: Brentwood, Woodland and Sunset. Sunset is almost in Nolensville and is more "out there." You can search for a home on Realtracs.com by school zone and enter any criteria you want, even acreage, in the fields.
In your price range, I like Brenthaven, Laurelwood, Wildwood, Indian Point, Meadowlake and Fountainhead.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:51 PM

253 posts, read 868,629 times
I second Realtracs, you can put in your price point and if you decide on Brentwood, for highschools put in Brentwood High or Ravenwood. You'll be good with either one of those high schools.
I've heard Brentwood High is "better," but we don't have children that are in High School yet, so it could just be hearsay or competition among the high schools that spawned that comment.
You can also look up test scores on TN DOE website to see which school you prefer.

Also, if you decide on Brentwood, make sure where you look is zoned for Williamson County schools (selecting either Brentwood High or Ravenwood High will ensure that) as parts of Brentwood are zoned for Davidson County schools.

As far as deciding between Brentwood and Franklin, I'd look at where you are working and what your tolerance for commuting is. Brentwood is closer to Metro-Nashville so you'd have a shorter commute if that's where you'll be. I personally prefer Brentwood to Franklin, however that's personal preference.

Good Luck!

Old 04-06-2010, 03:08 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shino306 View Post
Also, if you decide on Brentwood, make sure where you look is zoned for Williamson County schools (selecting either Brentwood High or Ravenwood High will ensure that) as parts of Brentwood are zoned for Davidson County schools.
Just to be clear, all of Brentwood is in Williamson County. Parts of south Nashville have been christened Brentwood by Realtors and business owners trying to convey a certain image. Some homes in extreme south Nashville may even have a so-called Brentwood zip code, but that's because the "Brentwood" post office is actually in Davidson County.

If you want to be in Brentwood proper and zoned for Brentwood High or Ravenwood High, just be sure you're searching in Williamson County. There are lots of neighborhoods along the Old Hickory Blvd. corridor that say they're in Brentwood: Autumn Oaks, Fredericksburg, Brentwood Chase, Copperfield, Brownstone, etc. They are nice areas with great homes. They get served by the Brentwood post office. But if they're in Davidson County, they aren't in Brentwood.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:24 PM

225 posts, read 585,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Just to be clear, all of Brentwood is in Williamson County. Parts of south Nashville have been christened Brentwood by Realtors and business owners trying to convey a certain image. Some homes in extreme south Nashville may even have a so-called Brentwood zip code, but that's because the "Brentwood" post office is actually in Davidson County.

If you want to be in Brentwood proper and zoned for Brentwood High or Ravenwood High, just be sure you're searching in Williamson County. There are lots of neighborhoods along the Old Hickory Blvd. corridor that say they're in Brentwood: Autumn Oaks, Fredericksburg, Brentwood Chase, Copperfield, Brownstone, etc. They are nice areas with great homes. They get served by the Brentwood post office. But if they're in Davidson County, they aren't in Brentwood.

VERY well stated. I am still amazed by how people can't seem to get their facts straight and then end up being disappointed because their realtor "told" them a house is zoned in a certain area, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville