Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 02:00 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,180,309 times

Advertisements

stupid mother is laughing. Incredible. If kid got killed or hurt she would be yelling for a lawyer.

Buffalo charges family at Yellowstone - CBS News Video
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 02:14 PM

78,636 posts, read 60,809,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
stupid mother is laughing. Incredible. If kid got killed or hurt she would be yelling for a lawyer.

Buffalo charges family at Yellowstone - CBS News Video
Maybe she has a lot of life insurance on the kid?

Yeah, it's remarkable how many people go to wild areas and think it's some sort of petting zoo.

A couple years back, an asian man on safari exited his vehicle to approach a pride of lions under a tree as he was upset that they were all just lying about. It didn't end well for him.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:10 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,233,504 times
When I was 3 or 4 yrs old my parents took me up to Benson's Wild Animal Farm up in N.H.. I remember my father about to take a picture of the Bison that was behind the fence. I remember seeing him stooped down on his knees to get both me and the bison in the viewfinder and that's the end of my memories. According to my parents, the bison charged the fence, it broke and I was hit smack on my back. I flew through the air and landed on the ground. My mother said my father was so pi$$ed he went and clocked the bison square between the eyes. Apparently the bison didn't do anything more and I have no clue as to what went on after since I was rushed to the hospital. I imagine there was a stampede of people running to get away from this bison and farm workers rushing to get it back behind the fence and getting the fence back up. IDK. That's what my logic tells me. Good thing I was such a little kid, I went in between the horns.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:44 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,795,974 times
Kids pet animals often! It is tragic when it leads to any form of harm.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:38 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,715,172 times
I caught the video earlier on the news. That kid was very lucky.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:22 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,507,813 times
Wild animals are just that "wild". It is a parents dty to explain to their children to never appraoch any wild animal. Even deer can attack, so certainly something like a bison will. People go to these national parks and think these are animals just sitting there waiting to pose with them.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:43 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,104,813 times
"Kid almost hit by bicycle on way to school"

So you ask, why would any mother let her kid walk to school.

I watched the video. I didn't see anybody get hurt, or even scared. The kids outran the buffalo, which gave up the chase pretty quickly. And they have a memory that will last a lifetime, and a great video. Incredibly lucky, my butt.

Rodeo riders get chased and caught and trampled by buffalos a hundred times a year, and are rarely injured, and never killed. Pit bulls and Rotweilers KILL an American every two weeks, and have done so for decades -- where's your outrage?.

Lighten up, and stop letting the for-profit news media whip you into your daily fear frenzy.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-11-2012 at 12:52 AM..

Old 09-11-2012, 07:24 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,180,309 times
you honestly don't see the difference between a mother letting her kid ride his bicycle to school and letting him approach a wild animal?

Rodeo riders are adults who make their own decisions about risk. a minor child should be better informed and supervised than to approach a wild animal.

So this particular video seems innocent enough and has a happy ending but it just as easily could have been a tragedy.

Sure dogs of all kinds maim and kill innocent people all the time, not just the breeds you mention. There is outrage every day over poorly trained or supervised dogs . What's your point?

Old 09-11-2012, 10:02 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,233,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I watched the video. I didn't see anybody get hurt, or even scared. The kids outran the buffalo, which gave up the chase pretty quickly. And they have a memory that will last a lifetime, and a great video. Incredibly lucky, my butt.
Vehemently disagree with this opinion. In it's long history more humans have been killed or injured by bison in Yellowstone NP than by grizzlies. The film clip is another example of the dumbing down of Americans. These wild bovines are extremely dangerous, they are nothing like domestic dairy cattle, and to approach one and taunt it is the height of folly. From the day they are born bison must deal with predators, and as adults will fight off wolves and bears. The animal in the film was not a mature bull, had it been the outcome might have been much more tragic. The young bison only launched a half hearted charge, had it been an adult bull or a cow defending a calf bent on a serious attack someone would have been killed or seriously injured. A human has zero chance of outrunning a determined bison.
www.foxnewsinsider.com/2012/09/10/incredible-video-wild-bison-charges-group-of-kids-in-yellowstone-national-park/

Old 09-11-2012, 10:54 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,196,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Vehemently disagree with this opinion. In it's long history more humans have been killed or injured by bison in Yellowstone NP than by grizzlies. The film clip is another example of the dumbing down of Americans. These wild bovines are extremely dangerous, they are nothing like domestic dairy cattle, and to approach one and taunt it is the height of folly. From the day they are born bison must deal with predators, and as adults will fight off wolves and bears. The animal in the film was not a mature bull, had it been the outcome might have been much more tragic. The young bison only launched a half hearted charge, had it been an adult bull or a cow defending a calf bent on a serious attack someone would have been killed or seriously injured. A human has zero chance of outrunning a determined bison.
www.foxnewsinsider.com/2012/09/10/incredible-video-wild-bison-charges-group-of-kids-in-yellowstone-national-park/

I totally agree. My wife and I went to Yellowstone in 2002. We saw the buffalo along side of the park's board walks. We had no problems – but the animals were just eating calmly and nobody disturbed them. The week after were left there was a photographer killed in the same place that we were standing.

Buffalo are large dangerous animals. Anybody that has ever felt the power of a deer, horse or cow can appreciate the power of a buffalo. Yellowstone is not a petting zoo. You can appreciate wildlife – but don't confuse it with fantasy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature