Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 08:33 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times

Advertisements

We live in a town with a big coyote population and also we have a tremendous deer population so the coyote are well fed. We also have a leash law and I rarely see outside cats.

The other night the howling of a group of coyote in the field behind our house was so loud we could hear it inside our house.

Every night at my bedtime I take 6 lb Toby on the leash and 15 lb Lucy (11 years old) walking behind us on the sidewalk in front of my own house for one last pee. Tonight I started wondering if either of my dogs were in any danger of being ambushed and eaten by a coyote. Last year I was tending my garden when barely 10 feet from me I saw two deer swoosh by being pursued by a coyote. The only time I've heard of anybody losing a pet was when I see a Cat Missing poster and we all figure it was eaten by a coyote. So even if I had both dogs on leashes would a coyote come sneaking up to grab one?

Let me clarify. I know they will eat dogs but would they attack with a human so close by?

Last edited by no kudzu; 10-15-2012 at 08:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 05:18 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
We live in a town with a big coyote population and also we have a tremendous deer population so the coyote are well fed. We also have a leash law and I rarely see outside cats.

The other night the howling of a group of coyote in the field behind our house was so loud we could hear it inside our house.

Every night at my bedtime I take 6 lb Toby on the leash and 15 lb Lucy (11 years old) walking behind us on the sidewalk in front of my own house for one last pee. Tonight I started wondering if either of my dogs were in any danger of being ambushed and eaten by a coyote. Last year I was tending my garden when barely 10 feet from me I saw two deer swoosh by being pursued by a coyote. The only time I've heard of anybody losing a pet was when I see a Cat Missing poster and we all figure it was eaten by a coyote. So even if I had both dogs on leashes would a coyote come sneaking up to grab one?

Let me clarify. I know they will eat dogs but would they attack with a human so close by?
Yes, a coyote will attack a human.
You and Lucy would be no match for a coyote, arm yourself and be prepared to take action.
What you need: a cane or a strong stick, an airhorn, pepper spray, or a small caliber handgun.
Watch the youtube video.

BEWARE Coyotes prowling your backyards and schools. Are your kids safe? - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxsfJNFseDs

Last edited by NoJiveMan; 10-16-2012 at 06:07 AM..

Old 10-16-2012, 05:35 AM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,947,805 times
On 10-28-2009 two coyotes killed a young healthy and strong woman (an up-coming musician) in a Canadian provincial park. Don't think for a minute that they only kill smaller animals than themselves.
They kill livestock also and not just chickens, they take down cattle, sheep, horses etc.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:00 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
It's possible that coyotes would attack your dogs, even with you nearby, since they seem to view all canines as territorial competitors. It's a hierarchy: wolves will attack coyotes and domestic dogs; coyotes will attack foxes and domestic dogs. To my knowledge, the attack on the Canadian woman was the only known human death from coyotes in the last century or so. They are normally very skittish of humans. Domestic dogs kill hundreds of people every year.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
It's possible that coyotes would attack your dogs, even with you nearby, since they seem to view all canines as territorial competitors. It's a hierarchy: wolves will attack coyotes and domestic dogs; coyotes will attack foxes and domestic dogs. To my knowledge, the attack on the Canadian woman was the only known human death from coyotes in the last century or so. They are normally very skittish of humans. Domestic dogs kill hundreds of people every year.
I actually found several youtube videos of coyotes attacking humans, but I cannot post the links for them here because of their nature and the vulgar language used in them.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:29 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
wow---that is really disturbing, especially in daylight. I will leash both dogs from now on and carry a cane. I've been living with a false sense of safety thinking they would not come close to a human. Thanks for the responses.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:15 AM

30,531 posts, read 16,226,596 times
I don't know if their habits vary with locality but around here (NE PA) one coyote is pretty timid. Would definitely attack an unattended dog but not with a human there. But they usually run in packs and they'll attack pretty much anything. Like most predators, they do prefer easy prey. You might walk with a friend. Or get a donkey.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
wow---that is really disturbing, especially in daylight. I will leash both dogs from now on and carry a cane. I've been living with a false sense of safety thinking they would not come close to a human. Thanks for the responses.
While out in the west for a few years, we had a dog and we went to areas of the high desert rockhounding for quartz specimens.

We normally let the dog loose to let him run and exercise.

We used to frequent the feed and grain store in town where we'd talk about stuff.
The western cowboy warned us about what a coyote or pack would and could do. We found it astounding when he told us to take care because a dog, almost any, if running loose, could be lured away from it's owner by one lone coyote, and then later ganged up on by a pack.

At first, we took his advice with a grain of salt, but after doing some research about the animal, and after ours was nearly lured away later during another trip rock hunting, we quit doing that, as we were afraid of losing him.

I don't know what type of a defense you can mount with a stick or a cane, as some will use a hit and run tactic, that is, one will come in and try to bite or snatch one dog from you. Maybe a air horn or a handgun might work better for you? Pepper spray might work, but again, you would have to allow the coyote within striking distance of yourself/pets.

In a .22 caliber, they do make birdshot to use in a rifle or pistol/revolver. It's usually harmless but will sting an animal when it makes contact. And it's range is very short. You would probably have to allow the coyote to come close to you to make the sting effect of the birdshot work.
GunWeek.com

The bad thing about the .22 caliber slug, is that it can travel up to 1 1/2 miles, so if you're in a populated area, one stray bullet can kill or injure another human being, go through a building wall or do other unintended damage. It can ricochet off the ground, rocks or other objects if you miss the coyote. If you do decide to arm yourself, be sure to check with your local laws, and attend some type of gun safety/training classes.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:19 AM

1,360 posts, read 2,951,941 times
Stuff happens but attacks on humans are really rare. I wouldn't worry about walking your dogs unless the coyotes were having a hard time finding food. Where do you live?

Old 10-16-2012, 01:02 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,661,494 times
When I lived in Arizona, we had them in our neighborhood, broad daylight sometimes. I walked a lot around the area and I would see them right there, running into a backyard, etc., but they avoided me and me them. I doubt they'd attack with a human right there walking a dog. I know a lot of people who walked their pets in the area and never heard of any incident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature