Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 05:18 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times

Advertisements

Stick a large branch down into the dumpster, so it can climb out....Poor thing.

Last edited by JanND; 03-27-2013 at 05:22 AM.. Reason: edit text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Animals die of old age, and probably understand and accept that they are near death. As I recall, they try to find private places to expire, which partly explains why one rarely comes upon the remains of an animal that has died a natural death. The lethargic nature of your raccoon could suggest that it is dying of natural causes.
It obviously is dying because it cannot get out to eat or drink water. Natural causes for a raccoon would be out among trees and water.....not in a man made metal coffin, known as a large dumpster.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:29 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
When we lived on a national park in NYC, we had a terrible problem with raccoons who were no longer totally feral - they did not fear people and were often quite brash and comfortable around us. When we had BBQs that ran into the night, it was not unusual for a raccoon to come wandering into the yard to check out the trash can - WHILE WE WERE STILL THERE! It got to the point that if I was out at night, I had to beep the horn until my husband came out with garbage can lid and a rake to see me safely into the house. He thought I was a little over-afraid until one night.........

Actually, it was around 5 am, his usual time to get up, and as he approached the kitchen, he heard noises. As he turned to go into the kitchen, sitting on the counter was a very large raccoon. The bread drawer was open and the raccoon was eating a loaf of bread. Unfortunately, to get to that location, the raccoon had cleared off everything on the counters between the window screen it had sliced open and the bread drawer. Unfortunately, my husband had to pass by the raccoon to get to the back door and was afraid that the raccoon would venture further into the house, there not being a door between the kitchen and dining room. Brave man that he is, he grabbed a framed poster and used it to block the doorway while he ran to the outside door. He then grabbed that poster and herded the animal outside. Never again would I leave a window open regardless the heat. Screens are no defense.

And I bleached the entire kitchen, throwing out every ounce of food that was not in a sealed can or the refrigerator.

I view raccoons as evil creatures to be avoided as if they were rattlesnakes. But I still hope you were able to save that critter from being trapped in the dumpster.
NY Annie, yikes!

When I bought this house, there was a family of raccoons living on the property - it had sat empty for about a year and there's a big stand of trees on one side. We'd see them when we were working on the house prior to my moving in. But once I moved in with three dogs, the raccoons left. I think the presence of the dogs deters a lot of critters.

I don't dislike any animal, but I do respect them and think it's best for everybody (mainly the animals) that wild animals stay...wild. I live in the city but right at the edge where it transitions into woods and farmland. So I get a fair number of wild critters on or around my property. Skunks, possums, raccoons, groundhogs, bunnies, wild turkeys, snapping turtles (now THOSE I fear; they can snap a finger off), foxes.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Stick a large branch down into the dumpster, so it can climb out....Poor thing.
Yep...well read my other posts. I have done that twice. First with plywood that someone removed, then last night two long boards. Plus last night I lowered down a plastic jug of water (with a cut-out so it could drink) and some food.
Hopefully it was able to escape last night. I'll check on my way to work.

If not, I'm lowering a baited live trap in there tonight. I TNR feral/stray cats and the traps work just as well for similar-sized wild animals.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:42 AM

Old 03-27-2013, 05:47 AM

We live about 2 blocks from a large river. We had a huge tree next door to our immediate neighbors, must have been 200 years old by the tree company estimate...Glorious tree, made a beautiful view of nature....Large birds of prey would stop and roost there often.

It was a cottonwood, with a double trunk....each trunk measured about 20+ foot around. But, it swayed on one side in the wind and was frightening the little kids that lived in the house. Since it stood on their dividing line they split the cost of having it cut down.

It was something to watch....Our other neighbor is a tree cutter....and he and his crew spent weeks planning and when they cut that tree is was amazing to watch. We spent the whole weekend watching this crew.

My neighbor ran over and grabbed me when they had finally felled that tree trunk...She was shocked. One whole side was hollow...and a family of racoons had run out at some point. Evidently they had been living there for years.

That evening a Mama raccoon and 4 babies were perched in my tree...my son took a pic with his phone. The racoons then moved across the street to another neighbor and he called the city who traps them. Racoons carry several diseases and parasites that are extremely harmful. The city caught in live traps a Mama and 4 babies over a week's time.

They can live in places secretly for a long time. NY Annie....I'm surprised none of us in my neighborhood had to go through your experiences, scarey.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:57 AM

Quote:

They can live in places secretly for a long time. .
When my brother was living in Chicago I'd visit frequently. He was doing his PhD at the U of Chicago and lived in the Hyde Park neighborhood. Which, apart from the relatively small park, is extremely densely populated.

On two different occasions, while taking my dog out late at night, I saw raccoons. Apparently, as densely packed and urban as Chicago is, raccoons live all over the city, not just near the forested lakefront either.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
When my brother was living in Chicago I'd visit frequently. He was doing his PhD at the U of Chicago and lived in the Hyde Park neighborhood. Which, apart from the relatively small park, is extremely densely populated.

On two different occasions, while taking my dog out late at night, I saw raccoons. Apparently, as densely packed and urban as Chicago is, raccoons live all over the city, not just near the forested lakefront either.
Yes. They must be quite resilient. Looks like your friend may have to use the catch pole. Maybe this is a young raccoon that can't get out, even on a branch. Poor thing. I don't want them in my yard, but I do appreciate all the creatures among us. Good luck on this. And, thanks for being so caring to try to help.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Yes. They must be quite resilient. Looks like your friend may have to use the catch pole. Maybe this is a young raccoon that can't get out, even on a branch. Poor thing. I don't want them in my yard, but I do appreciate all the creatures among us. Good luck on this. And, thanks for being so caring to try to help.
Thanks Jan. It's definitely an adult, although likely a young adult. I leaned two 2x6 boards side by side, braced against the back wall of the Dumpster, and left the lid open. Even if the lid gets closed, or blows closed, the boards will leave it propped open with a good foot to spare.
If the silly thing is capable of climbing, it's practically got a road map and an open highway!

Old 03-27-2013, 07:27 AM

568 posts, read 962,019 times
Keep us posted...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature