Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 03:40 PM

16,905 posts, read 16,130,561 times

Advertisements

People need to leave nature alone...which also means no ATVs tearing up habitat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 06:40 PM

734 posts, read 1,636,616 times
I'm sure, where I lived in Pa., there were people that fed the bear. I will tell, once again, the story of the bears trick or treating. Shortly after I moved there, Halloween trick or treaters were out in full force. I saw a bear run next to my house, across the road and down the cul-de-sac. I told the little girl (and others with her) to be careful because there was a bear out there. Her reply? "Oh it's ok. They trick or treat with us every year".
I don't think they are as scary as you are all making them out to be. I wouldn't get between a Mama and her cubs but other that that, they try to stay away from people.
There was a second story deck surrounded by trees where I lived. A mama bear and her 3 cubs showed up a few times. Once when I was on the deck, the Mama snorted at her cubs as a truck went by on another road and they climbed the tree right in front of me, eye to eye. She knew I was there but apparently felt no threat from me. She ignored me. When she and her cubs decided to wander, I could hear someone on the road behind me yelling "Look at all the f'ing bears!" LOL but they kept going and didn't bother anyone.
The only thing I had to do to try to keep them from wanting to come around was remove my bird feeders. What I went through to try to keep them from getting at them- well, that's another story and a very blonde one, at that. Saved for another time.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:05 PM

50,308 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
People need to leave nature alone...which also means no ATVs tearing up habitat.
Or people living in the Country? The sprawl is causing this. A lot of these folks move to the sticks and still think they are in the local park.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:20 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,224,716 times
One of myths regarding danger from black bears is that a mother with cubs is the main threat. This study disproves that theory. By a large margin, adult males in a predatory mode have killed and injured the most humans. This means that mature males being fed by humans, and that have largely lost their fear of people, could be a danger.
www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/05/110511074807.htm

Old 02-08-2014, 03:57 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
If Mary Musselman shot the bear, out of season and without a license, nobody would be on her side. But; that is exactly what anybody does when they feed bears.

About seven years ago we heard a thud outside and looked out our window. There was a large black bear mauling our birdfeeder. So we cracked open the window and took several close-up pictures of the bear at our feeder. We also brought the feeder in, as soon as the bear left, and we did not put it out again.

Looking at the pictures we could see the tags in the bear's ears. We could even read the numbers on the tags when magnified with the computer. So I called our Pennsylvania Game Commission to find out what the tags meant and the history of the bear. They told me that it was a bear that was captured fifteen miles to our south and released (a week earlier) fifteen miles to our north. They also explained that bears get one tag in the one ear the first time they are captured for being a nuisance. The second time they are captured; they get the second tag. The third time they are euthanized.

So anybody, like Mary Musselman, that thinks they are helping the bear; is really killing the bear. She might not feel the bears are dangerous - but the parents next door, with young children, probably would not feel the same way. Those parents would be quick to call and report any bear that got too close to their kids. Mary Musselman was busy planting the idea in the bear's head that people should be associated with food - she might as well have just pulled the trigger!

Old 02-09-2014, 09:11 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
To the people that feed wildlife.

Did you ever think by "helping" one animal you are depriving another of food.

That is how the food supply works....hawks, coyotes and others have to eat too.

Last edited by Driller1; 02-09-2014 at 10:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature