Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 10:09 PM

582 posts, read 764,094 times

Advertisements

All my life,I thought they are dangerous to be around. I never knew that people go camping in an area where wolves live.
what are your thoughts on that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 10:36 PM

513 posts, read 800,024 times
They won't bother you unless you bother them. People go camping around bears and they don't worry about them. Since 2000, 34 people have died from bear attacks in North America. In that time there was two fatal attacks by wolves.

Compare that to the 32 people who died due to dog attacks in 2013 alone.

You are way more likely to die of a bee sting then a wolf attack or die in a car crash on your way camping.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:53 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,495,163 times
Wolves are dangerous and do occasionally kill people, but so do bears, and mountain lions, and people go camping in places where they are too. Just because an animal is in the area you camp in doesn't mean they are waiting outside your tent in the morning. You do have to always stay safe and learn how to camp in areas that have these wild animals. There are a lot of things you can do to help you to be safe.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:36 PM
bjh

60,110 posts, read 30,425,189 times
^^
Like check into the nearest Hilton.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:45 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,636,763 times
Wolves aren't dangerous at all. A camper is literally hundreds of times more likely to die of a woodtick bite than a wolf attack. When I'm camping in Northern Wisconsin or Minnesota, there are few things I love more than lying awake in my tent listening to a pack howling on the other side of the lake.

I do, however, camp with a handgun in case of bears. It's still extremely unlikely that I would ever need it, but... I'd much rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:10 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,743,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcs15 View Post
They won't bother you unless you bother them. People go camping around bears and they don't worry about them. Since 2000, 34 people have died from bear attacks in North America. In that time there was two fatal attacks by wolves.

Compare that to the 32 people who died due to dog attacks in 2013 alone.

You are way more likely to die of a bee sting then a wolf attack or die in a car crash on your way camping.
You can't really compare those stats. How often are you around dogs (daily) and how often are you around wolves (maybe 1 week per year).

Old 06-15-2014, 07:50 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,101,000 times
The wolf is the totem of my wife's clan. If I were to say anything bad about a wolf, my wife would be much more dangerous than any wolf attack.

With that said the Native Americans lived amongst wolves and wolf attacks were unheard of. while there were wolf attacks in Europe and Asia, they were virtually unknown in the Americas until the arrival of Europeans that killed off nearly all of their food.

With that said Both my wife and I have often been in wolf habitat. But we do our best to give them a wide berth and do make enough noise to make our presence known. If a wolf knows you are in the area they will do their best to avoid you.

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 06-15-2014 at 08:04 PM..

Old 06-15-2014, 07:55 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,372,764 times
I've heard that wolves just don't like the way that humans smell, and they avoid us due to that. I don't know whether that's true or not, but I've never known anyone to have a run-in with a wolf. They stay as far away from people as they can.

Bears on the other hand can be a dangerous nuisance when they start hanging around houses, trying to eat garbage etc.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:26 PM

122 posts, read 98,835 times
Yuh gotta be careful

A knife is very important to carry, most animals instinctively know if they get cut, regardless....they loose in a difficult way in time. its a big tooth or nail and they recognize presenting it in a calm non aggressive way.

A bear or a wolf will eat anything if very very hungry and having trouble with berries or other but do not favor human. A bear thinks the human can smell as well as the bear.

When a cub is seen, the mother bear could be agood distance away but there is a leach, an umbilical chord by way of the scent, get in between and the position is cutting the leach, the mother bear will go into protect mode. So if the cub is seen , its not so good . Also, its not wise to mock the bear in a joking way while having some ales or something from across the river , they do not like that and will be angry.

A bear can and will rip the top covering of a car right off to get at some rotting food. They will also rip apart the exterior siding of a house if hungry enough and a bushel of rotting potatoes in the inside cupboard.

A wolf, if fairly hungry will come right out onto the ice if fishing alone. So if an angler is comfortable with that well okay but it wouldn't be myself, and this has happened. The story told people were yelling and hollering at the angler , and he saw..got right into the truck but may not of noticed being busy about the ice fishing. Wolves are also interested in killing dogs.

The cougar needs aprox 1 full deer every two weeks while on the go in their territory which can be very very large. The cougar is very smart and knows for example which door you use on the house, even though you may never have seen. They can smell everything out and have a good idea where property lines are. Oh...its not wise if the women is at that time in the month to go out in to these active area's. These are simply my understandings that's all.

Last edited by Drew K; 06-15-2014 at 09:10 PM..

Old 06-15-2014, 08:39 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,101,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
I've heard that wolves just don't like the way that humans smell, and they avoid us due to that. I don't know whether that's true or not, but I've never known anyone to have a run-in with a wolf. They stay as far away from people as they can.

Bears on the other hand can be a dangerous nuisance when they start hanging around houses, trying to eat garbage etc.
Probably some truth to that. they are quite difficult to come across to take pictures of them. Even in areas you know they Frequent ie North eastern Minnesota. they are extremely rare here in North Dakota. Have only seen 2 in the past 5 years. According to the Dept of Game and Fisheries they are extinct. but still have sightings up North
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature