Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 11:27 PM

17,356 posts, read 11,319,818 times

Advertisements

I had heard there was a wild Jaguar in Arizona. This guy must have traveled up through northern Mexico and made his home there. He must be pretty lonely if he's the only one.

Video shows 'El Jefe,' only known wild jaguar in US - Story | KSAZ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 05:41 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,566,403 times
He's beautiful Marino. I hope the public leaves him alone, and lets him live a peaceful life. It'd be nice to have a population of them in the states, imho.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
He's beautiful Marino. I hope the public leaves him alone, and lets him live a peaceful life. It'd be nice to have a population of them in the states, imho.
There used to be a healthy population of them in some southern / western states. They are the largest cat in the Americas and third largest in the world after tigers and lions.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:45 AM

686 posts, read 724,298 times
He has been known for a few years now. There is a Canadian company that is trying to mine the area that the jaguar is making his home. Its called Rosemont Mine and its an ongoing headache for the people who are wanting to mine the area and who want to save it.
Hopefully this video will give some help for the people who don't want the mine to come in.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:01 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,116,362 times
then my question is , if it is a male then what will he breed with since he seems to be the only one ? would he breed with a female mountain lion ? just curious , but I think that would be interesting don't the rest of you ?

Old 02-05-2016, 12:29 PM

I don't know enough about his history, but maybe he's young and staking out his own territory?

And although it's most likely possible they could cross-breed, I doubt that a female mountain lion would want anything to do with a different species than her own. It would be an interesting looking cat though.

Maybe the states will get lucky and a few of his own female kind will wander in from over the border.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
then my question is , if it is a male then what will he breed with since he seems to be the only one ? would he breed with a female mountain lion ? just curious , but I think that would be interesting don't the rest of you ?
The Jaguar and mountain lion are so different, they would never breed and even if they did, their offspring would be infertile. They are too genetically different. Also, Jaguars and mountain lions are enemies since they compete for food and territory with each other. There's little doubt that if a jaguar runs into a mountain lion and the mountain lion doesn't run, the jaguar would dispose of it quickly. It's the same thing with lions and leopards.
This male won't breed with anything but will live an isolated life, hoping to run into a female of the same species. I agree, he's probably a male that moved north to create his own territory. I'm certain there is a fear of them repopulating the southern US. Otherwise couple of females could be captured in Mexico and brought up to Arizona to begin bringing them back.

Old 02-05-2016, 04:57 PM

Ahh, so they are too different.

Well, although some Americans wouldn't like it, I'd find it pretty cool to be able to see a jaguar population back in the states.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:53 AM

50,435 posts, read 47,155,129 times
They have a huge range. I've heard of sightings E of San Diego too. I may have even seen a black one near Campo. It was either a huge almost dark lion or a jag. I never got closer than about five hundred yards. After talking to the Forest Service bunch they said either people had been talking about seeing it. Freaking paws are HUGE and I put a soda can next to a print for comparison.

Old 02-07-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
They have a huge range. I've heard of sightings E of San Diego too. I may have even seen a black one near Campo. It was either a huge almost dark lion or a jag. I never got closer than about five hundred yards. After talking to the Forest Service bunch they said either people had been talking about seeing it. Freaking paws are HUGE and I put a soda can next to a print for comparison.
That's very interesting since they are also native to San Diego and parts So. Calif. The darker version is still a Jaguar who's spots and coat color are so similar they blend in together. I suppose this makes them very good night time hunters.
Here's an interesting article from a San Diego paper regarding sightings of Jaguars in that area. There are still occasional "unconfirmed" sighting in the S.D. area. Too bad you didn't have a camera ready and took a picture. Chances are the the Forest Service won't admit they exist even if they do for political reasons as was true about mountain lions coming back to the eastern states until one was shot and killed. They couldn't deny it then.

Jaguars once roamed San Diego region. | Examiner.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature