Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 08:14 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,340,157 times

Advertisements

Our backyard, deck and patio are the long-standing preserve of a delightful song sparrow who regularly patrols the territory, feeding on seeds, berries, and insects, while fending off rivals and filling the air with music at mating time. His rapid hopping and tail-twitching are so charming to observe.

He and his mate(s) have a nesting area skillfully hidden under thorn bushes. They have so far managed to elude the feline murderers who roam unmolested in the neighborhood, slaughtering quail chicks and any other tiny creatures they are lucky enough to ambush.

Our resident songster is such a joyful creature -- long may he avoid the clutches of the sneaky fat pussycats and their thoughtless (brainless?) human servants!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 03:43 AM

248 posts, read 194,559 times
Totally agree as I abhor domestic and feral cats that roam about digging in flower beds and hang around bird feeders. Song Sparrows have a beautiful song. Thank you for sharing.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:41 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,264,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Our backyard, deck and patio are the long-standing preserve of a delightful song sparrow who regularly patrols the territory, feeding on seeds, berries, and insects, while fending off rivals and filling the air with music at mating time. His rapid hopping and tail-twitching are so charming to observe.

He and his mate(s) have a nesting area skillfully hidden under thorn bushes. They have so far managed to elude the feline murderers who roam unmolested in the neighborhood, slaughtering quail chicks and any other tiny creatures they are lucky enough to ambush.

Our resident songster is such a joyful creature -- long may he avoid the clutches of the sneaky fat pussycats and their thoughtless (brainless?) human servants!
A humane trap and a can of sardines. What happens then is up to you.

Old 10-13-2016, 11:43 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,229,268 times
No need to demonize cats. They have their place in nature. You will appreciate them if you ever have a mice/rat problem.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:18 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,510,610 times
A couple of years ago, we had a couple of song sparrows who used to visit our front lawn.

We have pet birds, and we blow the hulls from their seed containers onto our front lawn. Some seeds also fall onto the lawn, and many sprouted, attracting the beautiful song sparrows.

The birds disappeared because of one of our next door neighbour's roaming beast of a cat. And this cat is a murderer. We saw it bolt underneath the neighbour's back balcony with an injured, struggling squirrel in its maw.

I wish that neighbour, who rents, would pack up and move, and take that ferocious feline of hers with her.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:21 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,510,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
No need to demonize cats. They have their place in nature. You will appreciate them if you ever have a mice/rat problem.
I don't demonize all cats. I loathe the one next door, though I blame the owner for letting it roam.

The cat who lives next door to us on the other side is let out, but he is likeable and couldn't catch a bird or a mouse if his life depended on it. He's very funny. He tries to chase and attack huge dogs!

Old 10-15-2016, 04:35 PM

3,975 posts, read 4,262,034 times
Cats are not "murderers". Their owners who allow them to roam, however, can be quite stupid and thoughtless. Double for the cretins who dump cats in the woods or a field, creating the next generations of feral cats.

I love both birds and cats and I care for both species. Yes, I have done my part. Have trapped, vaccinated and had neutered over 2 dozen feral cats. An ex-feral cat is laying on my kitchen table, sleeping. About as close as he ever gets to birds is when he gazes out the window.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:54 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post

I had a bird hunting out with me all, Summer. Looked like a magpie, but was all shiny black. He/she could mimic, uncannily. Meowing at cats, barking at dogs, any tune I could whistle, and even some simple verbage. Picked up on "bite me" pretty fast. Lol. So.done told me it was a Grackel. Long tail and all, it loomed like a black magpie, but magpies can't mimic thataway.

I enjoyed the hell out of it. Hope it comes back in the Spring. It liked cereal. Cbeerios, in particular.

Old 10-16-2016, 02:44 AM

248 posts, read 194,559 times
You described the bird as solid black. Definitely not a Magpie as they do have white markings and do not mimic. Or just enjoy the bird for what it was-an entertaining bird. Grackles do not mimic either, but there can always be exceptions or longer tails.

May return provided some "monstrous" feline does not sink its teeth into this unsuspecting bird.

Yes, I do abhor cats that are allowed to roam-not the cats fault, but rather irresponsible people. There are humane ways to deal w/ cats and they are merely being cats.

Old 10-16-2016, 04:16 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,198,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I very much like both sparrows and cats. Sparrows have their place in nature, cats have theirs.

The problem is the human animal who thinks one is good and the other bad, and there couldn't be a more ill-equipped species in the world to make such an unnatural judgement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature