Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 01:20 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,096,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Squirrels are bad.
Squirrels are the worst & so random. I was on a busy street in rush hour traffic & some company van in front of me hit a kamikaze squirrel. I swear it looked like he didn't care but if he would have slammed on his brakes it would have caused an accident.

I had 3 kids in the car & one of the twins actually grabbed her cell phone & called the company to report the driver.

As far as destructive & dangerous it's the cows. It used to be deer after the Waldo Canyon fire forced all the Rocky Mountain wildlife (including a herd of Bighorn) into town but they have been fast learners. Probably the worst head-to-toe injuries I've ever seen on the Surgical/Trauma unit was a guy who was involved in a "big guy/little car/big cow MVA. Not a good combination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 04:12 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,593,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
This. I haven't seen a live armadillo outside the zoo. But there are dead ones it seems every 100 yards or so around here.

Driving back from a restaurant to our rented vacation home about thirty miles north of Tampa FL one night some years back, something ran across the road in front of me, I didn’t hit it, it made it across the road and disappeared, but neither my wife nor I could be sure of what it was.
I thought that it was shaped like a large lamb in the dark, my wife thought maybe a large cat, or a dog, a fox, or possibly a smallish alligator, and we’d only had two glasses of wine each!
We parked the car at the house, and walked the 400-450 metres to a neighbourhood bar, where the barman told us that it was almost certainly an armadillo, the spot where it happened was known to have some around.
Coming from the U.K., where the most exotic thing you’d encounter running across the road would maybe be a deer in Scotland, a pony on Dartmoor, or a gazillion foxes in inner London, we were amazed to hear that we’d probably seen something that only exists in zoos in Europe.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:24 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,584,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
armadillos .. i`ve never seen a live one yet every street in north BAMA has one on the side of the road on its back with all 4 feet in the air ...have`nt seen a rabbit in years dead or alive ...
Around here, definitely armadillos.

I think it depends on where you live, really. When I lived in Missouri, it was opossums and squirrels.

I've never actually run over any animal, but these are the ones I have seen most often as roadkill. I did have a deer jump out of the trees right in front of my car once, but was able to brake enough that the deer barely clipped the side of my bumper. Not sure to this day if I hit it or it hit me. I slowed to a crawl, to make sure it was alright. It dashed away, apparently undamaged, but it probably did have kind of a sore butt.

Old 10-25-2017, 06:08 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,925,481 times
Raccoons and deer.

Old 10-25-2017, 06:28 AM

2,910 posts, read 1,358,513 times
Possums are one of the worst. They're so very slow, which means they should be easy to avoid, but I think some evil people hit them on purpose.

Old 10-25-2017, 06:49 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,517,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
A few years ago I was driving my son home from school. Suddenly a possum was running straight across the street toward my car. I felt the thumpetty thump of my tires going over him. My son said "dad, you killed him".
I said to my son "you saw him run toward the car. I guess he couldn't take it any more".
takes the heat off you.

I'm my area, wabbits. The coyotes are either not doing their job or there are just too many. There are just way too many and no more need to be added.

Feel sad when I see a very young coyote as road kill.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:58 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,060,396 times
Skunks and deer.

Skunks die closer to my house than do the deer, and I’m invariably downwind of them. I’ve never done anything to the skunks, so I don’t know why they are doing that to me. Yes, I’m taking it personally.
:-)

Old 10-25-2017, 08:09 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,312,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
Sand hill cranes.
They have these beautiful wings and can fly so gracefully, yet would rather walk across the road.
We've got wild turkeys that will perform entire mating dances free of charge for morning commuters.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:52 AM

19,120 posts, read 25,320,104 times
Based on the carcasses that I have seen over the past couple of months, I would have to say that foxes seem to fall prey to cars in my neighborhood more often than other creatures.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:53 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,045,903 times
escaped rhinoceri
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature