Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 11:52 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,871,500 times

Advertisements

loved the box turtle when young...fed them lettuce, always move them to the side when they are crossing the road, as others do...

we also had a small snapping turtle who lived buried in a bowl of mud during winter...then during summer, he'd get out and we'd find him around the house. George. Yes, he did bite and yes it hurt...

We found a huge snapping turtle/tortoise? at the eastern coastline....my brother picked it up and it peed on him...served him right.

Lucky enough to make the turtle patrol rounds one yr. at the beach...present when the eggs hatched and all the little guys hurried to the water. Fascinating.

Turtle experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 01:20 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,207,099 times
I used to live with a river as the backyard. Every spring the snappers would come up the bank and lay eggs in my backyard. Skunks would eat the eggs. IDK how they continue on. My husband found 3 eggs that skunks missed one year and he got them to hatch!

Old 08-04-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I used to live with a river as the backyard. Every spring the snappers would come up the bank and lay eggs in my backyard. Skunks would eat the eggs. IDK how they continue on. My husband found 3 eggs that skunks missed one year and he got them to hatch!

good guy he is...

Old 08-04-2018, 04:20 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,836,944 times
I had a friend who lived in Florida near one of beaches that the Sea Turtles came to lay their eggs.

He saw one crossing the highway so he put it in the back seat of his car to take it down to the beach.

When they got there it had gotten stuck under the passenger seat and he couldn't get it out and had to disassemble both seats and the tracks.

He got it out and it waddled off into the sand.

He had lost some parts in the sand and couldn't get the seats back together, so he walked home and reported his car stolen.

The next morning the cops called him and said they had found his car on the beach. They told him the thieves had started to strip it but must have gotten scared and ran off.

That was just what he hoped would happen. He was just about to thank the cops and call the AAA to tow it to the garage to have the seats put back in.

When the cops told him:

"The tide came in and it's now about 50 feet out in the surf. It's a total loss. You had better get it out of there before it gets farther out or you will have to pay a huge fine."

He still likes Turtles, but he hasn't rescued any recently.

Old 08-04-2018, 04:26 PM

No good deed goes unpunished

Poor guy...really nice effort though.

Quite a story!

Old 08-05-2018, 09:40 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,207,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post

good guy he is...
Yes, he definitely was.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:40 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,098,923 times
We have quite a lot of box turtles where I live. There is nothing more cute as seeing babies traversing my backyard when they are the size of a fifty cent piece. Too cute!

Old 08-05-2018, 04:57 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,062,356 times
I can remember being very young and sitting on the back of a large turtle ( tortoise, I guess, really) that my brother brought home. I don’t know how he got it home or what happened to it—I just remember being excited to ride on it.

That was the same brother who got into trouble from the game warden for bringing home a baby alligator.

I had three small green turtles in succession from the dime store. Thank goodness, they are no longer allowed to be sold. I named them all Willis Gordon. Each died. They had elaborate funerals and I buried them in the back yard.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
I can remember being very young and sitting on the back of a large turtle ( tortoise, I guess, really) that my brother brought home. I don’t know how he got it home or what happened to it—I just remember being excited to ride on it.

That was the same brother who got into trouble from the game warden for bringing home a baby alligator.

I had three small green turtles in succession from the dime store. Thank goodness, they are no longer allowed to be sold. Each died. They were all named Willis Gordon.

LOL...3 Willis Gordons!

I had those too, from the dime store...

Riding a tortoise when young was a lot of fun, I bet.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:49 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,062,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
LOL...3 Willis Gordons!

I had those too, from the dime store...

Riding a tortoise when young was a lot of fun, I bet.

It was fun. I can remember very clearly sitting on the big tortoise and being happy. Not much else.

I don’t know where I got the name Willis Gordon, but I had Willis Gordon I, II, III.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature