Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2018, 04:19 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,190,341 times

Advertisements

It's been there a few hours, I think. I noticed it before my errand but upon my return it was still trapped near a huge panel of glass in the semi-enclosed hallway. confused and flapping its wings.

I tried placing a bowl of water near him, as he must be so thirsty by now...even left a few breadcrumbs but he's not interested in either

I called the non-emergency police number in town but they can only send help during business hours.

I've seen a bird confused and trapped in this hallway a few times in my 14 years here, but I guess they eventually find their way out...maybe at darkness when the bright sky outside that large panel of glass isn't confusing them?

Oh gee, now it's chirping again after some silence in the past 15 minutes. I wish I had a net in which I could trap him. It's getting dark so maybe he'll relax and find his way out without the brightness confusing him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 04:25 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Is it actually trapped or just not trying to get out? Do you mean it can get out the window if he attempts to???

Can you use newspaper perhaps to shoo it out...?

Old 10-24-2018, 05:02 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
We had a bird trapped for four days just this week at the thrift store I work at. I brought bird seed from home, and put out a dish of water, it ignored both. But after 4 days, it somehow found it's way through the store, the warehouse, and the food pantry. As soon as the door was opened, out it flew. So the good news is that one day won't hurt the bird. In the past, when birds have found their way inside, we've turned off the lights and opened a door. It's an option when the store is closed, but not during business hours.

Old 10-24-2018, 05:56 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Just close all interior doors, get a broom, hold it up, follow him around and use it to guide him toward the opening to the outside.

And please don't call police for something like this.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:31 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdiebelle View Post
just close all interior doors, get a broom, hold it up, follow him around and use it to guide him toward the opening to the outside.

and please don't call police for something like this.

+1.

Old 10-26-2018, 04:54 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
Wait for dark. Move slowly but with confidence, as though you are not stalking the bird. Cover it with a towel.

Old 10-26-2018, 03:41 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
It's been there a few hours, I think. I noticed it before my errand but upon my return it was still trapped near a huge panel of glass in the semi-enclosed hallway. confused and flapping its wings.

I tried placing a bowl of water near him, as he must be so thirsty by now...even left a few breadcrumbs but he's not interested in either

I called the non-emergency police number in town but they can only send help during business hours.

I've seen a bird confused and trapped in this hallway a few times in my 14 years here, but I guess they eventually find their way out...maybe at darkness when the bright sky outside that large panel of glass isn't confusing them?

Oh gee, now it's chirping again after some silence in the past 15 minutes. I wish I had a net in which I could trap him. It's getting dark so maybe he'll relax and find his way out without the brightness confusing him?
Forget the water and food. The bird is too distracted to pay attention and doesn't recognize the containers for what they offer.

Wait until it gets dark and it settles down. Birds are very dependent on light which is why the window is confusing it. They tend to sit quietly in the dark. Get a large towel, a sheet, a big bathrobe, even a big bag and drop it gently over the bird. Scoop and pick up the whole bundle and take it outdoors near a shrub or tree. Gently unwrap the towel and leave both alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature