Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 03:37 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,389,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookashiny View Post
I'd just freeze up, so I guess that'd help? Sort of?
yup. For grizzly. NOT for black bears. "If it's black, fight back".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2021, 04:13 PM

23,447 posts, read 19,085,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
yup. For grizzly. NOT for black bears. "If it's black, fight back".
That applies if a black bear pursues and makes physical contact. This bear, no matter which species it happened to be, wasn't interested in the tourists, wasn't defensive, wasn't seeing them as a source of anything. The last thing they should do under these circumstances is attack it for no reason!

Old 08-16-2021, 05:19 PM

6,812 posts, read 6,969,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
Wow, what a cute bear! I remember the tourist girl who got hugged by a bear.

https://youtu.be/IeX81REIoC4

This momma bear is friends with this man and even brings her cubs to visit him as they grow up!

Awww.....those cubs are adorable!

Old 08-17-2021, 06:54 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,515,186 times
If I were in a similar situation, I’d probably panic.

Old 08-17-2021, 10:58 AM

10,381 posts, read 8,027,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
If I were in a similar situation, I’d probably panic.
Panic never helps. Unfortunately it often makes the situation worse..

Old 08-17-2021, 11:00 AM

7,151 posts, read 12,710,293 times
My mind re-wrote the headline to read "Bear Survives Encounter with Tourists by Remaining Calm."

Old 08-17-2021, 11:51 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,774,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Did I just watch a bear read a map?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
Omg, I thought the exact same thing!
Me too! So funny!

Old 08-17-2021, 12:35 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,945,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I would definitely have evacuated my bowels.

We don't know what happened before, but what we may be seeing is some idiots that purposely pulled up to a bear approaching them and pulled out there cell phone cameras. I see no backpacks on these guys, one looks like he has a day pack, so I assume they just jumped out of the car from the paved parking place they were on. I don't see this as being a chance encounter, park police should have arrested them. That being said, I am told bears in Katmai are very used to humans.

Staying calm is fine. But contrary to what you said - you should make noise! Not scream when you see the bear, but announce your presence in bear country so that you don't get a bear encounter like this. They should be backing away from the bear slowly, and they had plenty of chance to do that.

If they wanted to see bears in the natural habitat, eating fish, Katmai has viewing sights on the river. They would have been rewarded with a much more dramatic video.

Old 08-17-2021, 01:31 PM

23,447 posts, read 19,085,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
We don't know what happened before, but what we may be seeing is some idiots that purposely pulled up to a bear approaching them and pulled out there cell phone cameras. I see no backpacks on these guys, one looks like he has a day pack, so I assume they just jumped out of the car from the paved parking place they were on. I don't see this as being a chance encounter, park police should have arrested them. That being said, I am told bears in Katmai are very used to humans.

Staying calm is fine. But contrary to what you said - you should make noise! Not scream when you see the bear, but announce your presence in bear country so that you don't get a bear encounter like this. They should be backing away from the bear slowly, and they had plenty of chance to do that.

If they wanted to see bears in the natural habitat, eating fish, Katmai has viewing sights on the river. They would have been rewarded with a much more dramatic video.
The time of year plays into it too. In late summer brown/grizzly bears are hyper focused on packing on fat for winter. It is actually a physiological shift that ramps up their ability to accumulate fat and alters their behavior. They will tolerate approaches and close proximity to other bears and animals (may include humans) they normally wouldn't. It is one reason you can see multiple bears foraging in the same salmon spawning areas of major rivers. At other times of year those same bears would either be chasing other food competitors away or sizing them up as potential dinners.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-17-2021 at 02:01 PM..

Old 08-17-2021, 04:30 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,774,943 times
Da bears….
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature