Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 04:26 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,261,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
The only thing I have against spiders is that they are alive...
Ditto to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 05:00 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,274,669 times
I don't pay much attention to spiders, even black widows. I can spray for those. You can't spray for a snake. I know which are venomous and which are not. I have a very healthy respect for the hot snakes and leave them alone as long as they leave me alone. I've been fortunate to have had only one encounter with a rattler, and I just walked away upon hearing his warning. There are snakes that don't warn you at all. Dendroaspis polylepsis is one of them, and you don't want to mess with that guy. Fast, up to 14 ft. long, and can strike half it's body length. Elapids can really give me the shivers.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:11 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
I like them both. I've never been afraid of snakes or spiders. We have some neat ones around here and most of them are not dangerous.

Riding my mountain bike and hiking, I've come across a couple of varieties of rattlesnake, California king snakes, gopher snakes, black racers, and once when we picked up a rock there were ringneck snakes underneath. I've picked them all up except the rattlesnakes (and the black racers--couldn't catch those). Often when I'm riding, I'll see a snake in the middle of the trail. I always stop and shoo it away--yes even the rattlesnakes, I am just more cautious with those--because I worry that the next person who comes along will run over them accidentally or on purpose.

I will also pick up and move tarantulas out of the trail. They are harmless to people. We have some interesting spider species like lynx spiders and jumping spiders in the yard. In the past there were lots of large orb weavers but I haven't seen many this year--maybe it's the drought? Spiders are welcome in my yard and even my house, though I will take large ones like wolf spiders outside. Kill them, never.

Every so often we get people coming to the door wanting to spray pesticides on our property. I always tell them no, and then they try to scare me by telling me about black and brown widows. I know widow spiders are around my yard. They keep to themselves and don't bother us. Last time one of these guys came around, I actually took him in the back yard and showed him the monarch caterpillars on the milkweed and the praying mantises on various plants. He was amazed when a monarch butterfly came and started laying eggs right before his eyes. Why would I spray pesticide and destroy all these creatures? I could never live with myself.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:25 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Spiders used to be my phobia. I overcame that by studying them. I don't put up with Black Widows around my space, still, though. I've been bitten before, and its far from a no biggy. Snakes, no issue. There's nothing sneaky or dishonest about snakes. Unlike spiders. You know just where you stand with a snake, and they don't drop down the back of your neck from cracks and crevices.

Anything with 8 legs that can kill or make you wish you were dead, ala Black Widow, can't be any good. The effects of the venom are excruciating. And its only a microscopic amount that gets put out. Coupled with the fact that spider have a bad habit of invading my space, whereas snakes don't, that seals the deal for me.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:08 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times
Oh, a 17.5' snake is scary. It can crush and man alive .

Old 09-11-2014, 04:30 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,980,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
Through the years I have noticed something when talking to friends and family, and also from TV...

It seems as if you're either afraid of spiders, or of snakes. Very seldom of neither or of both. My question is: why so?
This appears to be the same dilema as with cats and dogs: you're either a cat person or a dog person. Seldom both or none.

Personally, I am terrified of spiders, but have very little against snakes. My mother and brothers are the opposite: they are terrified of snakes, but have no problems with spiders (yet, they do not want to take care of a giant spider in my room).

What are you afraid of? Snake or spider- or both or none? And why is this? Does this have anything to do with where you live, or is it a matter of personality? Or anything else?
Spider...ugh. The worst. Just thinking of those disgusting things makes me shudder.

Old 09-12-2014, 01:45 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,261,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
Spider...ugh. The worst. Just thinking of those disgusting things makes me shudder.
If you live ion SoCal then be prepared for Black Widows.

Where my mom lives I could find up to 5-6 spiders a day in my room

Thankfully Black Widows were only found on occasion. Still, growing up there made me the Arachnophobe I am today......well that and my mother lol. She hates spiders almost as much as I do.

Old 09-12-2014, 05:02 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Oh Im so glad we dont have to worry about things like that or Id be a nervous wreck.. we do have spiders but not too big or poisonous.. and adders too but never see them in the city.. at least I hope not..hate the things...

Old 09-17-2014, 01:14 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,427,707 times
Snakes just move too damn fast for my liking. You can lift up a garbage can lid and be bitten in a millisecond. Spiders are at least a little slower....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature