Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2017, 06:07 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,410,251 times

Advertisements

Anyone who has lived or been to both Lincoln and Iowa City, could you compare and contrast for someone living there as an adult?

-weather
-housing affordability
-scenery
-nicer people
-things to do
-downtown's
-parks and outdoor activities

And if you had a choice which one would you choose and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 12:10 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,797,696 times
I have lived in Lincoln on two occasions. I've visited Iowa City probably 5 or 6 times, so I don't know as much about it. Lincoln is larger as far as population. Beyond that, both are a lot alike in many ways. Both Midwestern cities, Iowa City probably is a little colder with more snow, on average. Lincoln has many beautiful parks and bike paths. University of Iowa and University of Nebraska each have a beautiful campus. East Campus in Lincoln is particularly beautiful. I had several classes there and loved it.

Nicer people is subjective. Lincoln has the typical banks, hotels, etc. in the downtown. I don't remember much about Iowa City downtown. I have been away for several years, so I can't really answer about current housing affordability in Lincoln. Maybe someone living in Iowa City can give more information.

I think Lincoln has a fairly low unemployment rate, or at least it was when I lived there in the mid 1990's. A quick check shows Lincoln's population around 280,000 and Iowa City around 75,000. Lincoln has had steady growth over the past 25 years.

My personal choice would be Lincoln, only because I have lived there before and know my way around and found it a very pleasant place to live. Though I can't compare 1993-1996 to 2017.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintheville2 View Post
I have lived in Lincoln on two occasions. I've visited Iowa City probably 5 or 6 times, so I don't know as much about it. Lincoln is larger as far as population. Beyond that, both are a lot alike in many ways. Both Midwestern cities, Iowa City probably is a little colder with more snow, on average. Lincoln has many beautiful parks and bike paths. University of Iowa and University of Nebraska each have a beautiful campus. East Campus in Lincoln is particularly beautiful. I had several classes there and loved it.

Nicer people is subjective. Lincoln has the typical banks, hotels, etc. in the downtown. I don't remember much about Iowa City downtown. I have been away for several years, so I can't really answer about current housing affordability in Lincoln. Maybe someone living in Iowa City can give more information.

I think Lincoln has a fairly low unemployment rate, or at least it was when I lived there in the mid 1990's. A quick check shows Lincoln's population around 280,000 and Iowa City around 75,000. Lincoln has had steady growth over the past 25 years.

My personal choice would be Lincoln, only because I have lived there before and know my way around and found it a very pleasant place to live. Though I can't compare 1993-1996 to 2017.
Thanks for the info. They both sound like solid towns, I have not been to either. Hopefully we can get some more people to chime in.

In terms of proximity, Lincoln is close to Omaha that is nice, and 3 hrs to KC. Iowa City is close to Cedar Rapids and not too far from Davenport and Des Moines. IC looks to be about 3.5 hrs from Chicago. My guess both cities have decent small airports, not sure which is better.

My guess is both might have pretty affordable rents and house prices, but maybe Lincoln a little more so?

Old 10-21-2017, 05:54 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,797,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Thanks for the info. They both sound like solid towns, I have not been to either. Hopefully we can get some more people to chime in.

In terms of proximity, Lincoln is close to Omaha that is nice, and 3 hrs to KC. Iowa City is close to Cedar Rapids and not too far from Davenport and Des Moines. IC looks to be about 3.5 hrs from Chicago. My guess both cities have decent small airports, not sure which is better.

My guess is both might have pretty affordable rents and house prices, but maybe Lincoln a little more so?
Possibly so on the rents and house prices, though I think rent and home prices are rising. Being larger, Lincoln might have more choices available as well.

Lincoln has a nice, small airport. I flew in and out of Lincoln's airport several times. I'm not sure about an airport in Iowa City. Someone from Iowa City will need to chime in. If they don't have one, they are relatively close to Des Moines.

In general, I would say both are good cities to live in. I enjoyed living in Lincoln and wouldn't mind returning one day. But I have decided to move to east Tennessee when I retire.

Old 10-22-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintheville2 View Post
Possibly so on the rents and house prices, though I think rent and home prices are rising. Being larger, Lincoln might have more choices available as well.

Lincoln has a nice, small airport. I flew in and out of Lincoln's airport several times. I'm not sure about an airport in Iowa City. Someone from Iowa City will need to chime in. If they don't have one, they are relatively close to Des Moines.

In general, I would say both are good cities to live in. I enjoyed living in Lincoln and wouldn't mind returning one day. But I have decided to move to east Tennessee when I retire.
East TN is a good choice. Been there and liked it!

Old 10-23-2017, 02:03 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,607,055 times
If this makes any difference to you, Lincoln feels MUCH more humid than Iowa City in the summer. If you're not used to the humid heat in the middle of corn country, it's pretty awful. IC has hot humid summers too, but it doesn't seem as bad as Lincoln. I haven't looked up the stats, just going by my experiences living through hot humid summer days in both places.

Also, IC seems much more walkable. Downtown has streets closed off just for walking. There are lots of nice restaurants in that area. Lincoln seemed much more car focused to me.

I think it would mainly be a matter of whether you prefer a larger or smaller city. And visit Lincoln in July and see if you can tolerate the humidity.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:45 AM

1,224 posts, read 2,189,941 times
Flying out of Iowa City you drive to Cedar Rapids about a half hour north of town. That airport has a lot more destinations than Lincoln does. A lot of people in Lincoln fly in and out of Omaha.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:37 PM

Good info thanks. That is interesting on the humidity difference, I wouldn't have thought that.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:28 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,868,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Good info thanks. That is interesting on the humidity difference, I wouldn't have thought that.
Difference in humidity levels is PROBABLY because Iowa corn is usually NOT irrigated. Most of Nebraska corn is. Just a W A G.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:41 AM

4,865 posts, read 6,929,879 times
Main difference between the communities based on my son's evaluation. The tailgating at Iowa City blows away what Lincoln has. Once in the stadiums for the game, they're both crazy fun.

I've only attended a couple of U. of Iowa games. Never been to a Cornhusker game, but would love to someday. Fabulous park area at Iowa for pitching your tent before the games.

Just wondering, is there anything else of higher importance in these 2 towns?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
View detailed profiles of: