Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 05:54 PM

13 posts, read 31,239 times

Advertisements

I've lived the last 30 years split between Dallas and Wichita, and now due to that event called downsizing, I've accepted a job with a company sitting squarely in a cornfield between Omaha and Lincoln. I say moving home because a lot of my family have actually lived in the Lincoln-Omaha area since the 1860's. I'm familiar with the area, and quite aclimated to mid-western life in general , so not the least unhappy about the move.

My question is simple, I have a job, but my wife who is an accounting assistant will be looking. This is going to determine largely where we live, since she is quite unhappy when it comes to driving in winter weather. I lean towards Lincoln, even though it's a longer commute, but I get the feeling Omaha has a lot more going on commercially. Am I correct in this assumption?

I need to go up this next week and start house hunting, and if Lincoln just doesn't have a feasable job market along those lines, I rather not waste limited time looking there.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 08:53 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,688,622 times
Omaha has a way better job market, a lot of the Lincoln Jobs are either with UNL or the state Government. Is there a reason why you a leaning towards Lincoln?

Old 08-24-2008, 07:30 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,555,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basalt View Post
I've lived the last 30 years split between Dallas and Wichita, and now due to that event called downsizing, I've accepted a job with a company sitting squarely in a cornfield between Omaha and Lincoln. I say moving home because a lot of my family have actually lived in the Lincoln-Omaha area since the 1860's. I'm familiar with the area, and quite aclimated to mid-western life in general , so not the least unhappy about the move.

My question is simple, I have a job, but my wife who is an accounting assistant will be looking. This is going to determine largely where we live, since she is quite unhappy when it comes to driving in winter weather. I lean towards Lincoln, even though it's a longer commute, but I get the feeling Omaha has a lot more going on commercially. Am I correct in this assumption?

Thanks
If you end up towards Omaha, then look in Sarpy County (plus Ashland)... it has really been growing.. that will keep you on the southern end of the Omaha metro and then only a 30 commute to the Waverly exit.

A lot of commercial growth in Gretna, Papillion (especially around 72nd & Hwy 370) and LaVista (especially at the I-80 & Giles interchange).... including PayPal, Cabela's, and Securities America... all growing, investing, and in new buildings...

Old 08-24-2008, 09:48 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times
In the accounting field Lincoln and Omaha both have quite a few jobs.Is your job going to be in Lincoln? Or Omaha?

GL2

Old 08-24-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
In the accounting field Lincoln and Omaha both have quite a few jobs.Is your job going to be in Lincoln? Or Omaha?

GL2
My job will actually be outside of Mead, my wife is the one in the accounting business. I am going to be looking at a 20 to 30 minute commute regardless, unless we live in Fremont.

Go Ne

I lean towards Lincoln because I like the quiet nature of the city, it just doesn't seem so busy, more like a town. Things just seem to go at a slower pace there. Don't get me wrong, I think Omaha is a great town in it's own right, but it just doesn't have the same laid back feeling for me, it just feels busier.

Dave 1212

Yes, Ashland has caught my eye, as well as Gretna. I'll be looking at those towns as well as Yutan. The key thing of course, is for it to be convenient for the wife's commute, espeacially during winter weather.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:52 AM

1,821 posts, read 5,148,966 times
If your willing to look in small towns, then also consider Wahoo. Your commute wouldn't be bad at all and Wahoo is a quick trip into west Omaha and 4-lane expressway into north Lincoln.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpabes View Post
If your willing to look in small towns, then also consider Wahoo. Your commute wouldn't be bad at all and Wahoo is a quick trip into west Omaha and 4-lane expressway into north Lincoln.
Thanks Tpabes, but it isn't for me, I actually enjoy a good 20 to 30 minute commute to and from work, gives me my quiet time so to speak.

The thing is my darling wife for all her strengths, has never become comfortable with winter driving, so I try to keep her commutes short and in areas with good snow removal. Me, as long as the tires roll and the truck moves forward, I could care less. I did see you mention Fremont in another thread, I may have to go take a look at the city this weekend, looks ideally situated, per the map.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:42 PM

Well we wandered on up to Nebraska for Labor Day weekend. Didn't expect to be too productive finding a house what with the State Fair, the Huskers first game and Labor Day all rolled into one.

So, after looking around for the whole weekend, the wife decided she felt comfortable with the amenites of Fremont. Well it's an 180 turn around from Lincoln, but doesn't break my heart, since the city is so close to Mead.

So , besides Don Peterson and Associates, anyone know of any other Realtors in town that list rentals? I'm having a tough time digging up numbers from the long distance.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:28 AM

1,821 posts, read 5,148,966 times
You can try NP Dodge.
NPDodge Omaha Nebraska Real Estate and Council Bluffs Iowa Real Estate
or the newspaper
The Fremont Tribune - Fremont, Nebraska's Community Newspaper

Old 09-04-2008, 08:18 PM

Thanks, Don Peterson and Associates came through for me, They had just finished up getting a place ready when I walked in the door, and I snagged it as soon as I saw the place. Very nice duplex joined at the garages, so no common walls inside. wife won't have to drive more than two miles, and it's an 18 minute commute for me. win win.

Fremont is a very nice little city, with amenities one would expect to find in a much larger community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska