Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 04:50 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times

Advertisements

New statistics show Nevada's effective jobless rate is 20.3 percent

New statistics show Nevada's effective jobless rate is 20.3 percent - Business - ReviewJournal.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 05:20 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
I always wonder if the forum rules allowed a job board thread. Our venders are always asking about candidates for open positions. Also, my wife tends to hire a couple of times a year.

But to stay on topic, I am starting to notice more and more that long term unemployment is due to laziness(seniors excluded). Too many people waiting for the perfect job, so they stay on unemployment till that $35 an hour management job comes along.

Plus, we still have the boat load of people moving here with out jobs that are looking for jobs. How are they counted?

Posted from Nokia 8210

Old 01-29-2013, 05:32 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
I always wonder if the forum rules allowed a job board thread.
That's a good idea.

Mods? Anyone? Bueller?

Old 01-29-2013, 05:37 PM

419 posts, read 907,131 times
When you read statistics like that, you would think more people would just leave LV and Nevada and look for employment in other states. For example, just across the border in Utah it's only 4.8% unemployment (Salt Lake City).

Old 01-29-2013, 05:44 PM

134 posts, read 177,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerby View Post
When you read statistics like that, you would think more people would just leave LV and Nevada and look for employment in other states. For example, just across the border in Utah it's only 4.8% unemployment (Salt Lake City).
With friends that live in Utah a lot of companies seem to pass on an applicant that isn't a Mormon. They actively told a friend of mine who was more than qualified "We only hire from "within" the "Church". *eyeroll* Against the law but they seem to get away with that practice...A LOT.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:46 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
Yes, Utah unemployment numbers are low but what type of jobs are available there? When I lived there I remember some friends telling me that they knew someone that got a job through the church, with the church or because of the church. LDS job placement??

One thing that I always stand by in SLC is their extremely low homeless population. The church really does have the best programs for the homeless or at risk homeless folks. Same for the pregnant teens. If you are 13 and pregnant in SLC, you will do fine...just as long as you commit to the church.

Posted from Nokia 8210

Old 01-29-2013, 06:55 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
There are lots of places with around 5% unemployment. People aren't moving because they don't want to.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:56 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
They used to have a much higher homeless rate....when they knew the Winter Olympics was coming, they [SLC]solved the problem....they rounded up all the homeless and offered them two choices.....
#1 Go Directly to jail, Do NOT pass go and do not collect $200

#2 One free bus ticket directly to Las Vegas.

Our homeless population quadrupled instantly

Old 01-29-2013, 07:02 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,546,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxflyboy View Post
With friends that live in Utah a lot of companies seem to pass on an applicant that isn't a Mormon. They actively told a friend of mine who was more than qualified "We only hire from "within" the "Church". *eyeroll* Against the law but they seem to get away with that practice...A LOT.
I've heard the same thing goes on in LV too within local government. I've heard its really that way in Henderson and Boulder City especially.

Last edited by kttam186290; 01-29-2013 at 07:15 PM..

Old 01-29-2013, 07:46 PM

419 posts, read 907,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
There are lots of places with around 5% unemployment. People aren't moving because they don't want to.
It seems to me if people are looking for a job for 2 years or more, they should try looking OUTSIDE of the state with highest unemployment. I only used Utah as an example of a state very nearby and experiencing far less unemployment than Nevada. I could have used Arizona, which has a much lower unemployment than Nevada, also.

But, based on the comments, I guess you need to be Mormon to get a job there. I knew if I posted anything to do with Utah, there would be comments like that! lol

62% are Mormon in Utah, so what do the other 38% do for work?

The problem is, there are too many government benefits that last too long and encourage complacency rather than taking action. The best thing government could (and the only thing they should do) is pay to help people relocate to where the job opportunities are better.

They pay $17 an hour at McDonald's in North Dakota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada