Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 04:20 PM

11 posts, read 70,438 times

Advertisements

I own a home here in Vegas and after getting married I would like to add my spouses name to the deed as a symbol of our commitment (that and she would get some tax benefits for being Blind). I still would be making payments on the mortgage and financed under my name only. She has her name on all the bills for water, electricity, cable, etc.

I've heard a Quit Claim Deed to a Transfer on Death Deed through searches online but I don't even know where to start at to get someone to prepare one of these forms (other than you can download them online). Where do I go? Is this the right step to take to make sure she can file for the exemption per NRS 361.085?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 04:33 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
i didn't know you could add a person to the deed if you are making payments...

Old 11-09-2011, 05:27 PM

233 posts, read 497,779 times
I did a quit claim after a divorce. Not sure if it works the other way around though.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:42 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,946,956 times
Quit claim deeds are pretty easy and cheap, but get a lawyer to do it to make sure there are no problems in the future.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:51 PM

61,648 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Its called Quitclaim Deed ( or in some states a Warranty Deed )
Quit Claim Deed Forms | Form Downloads, Instructions, Recording Information

Call the title company that handled the closing when you purchased the house or you can call an attorney that specializes in Real Estate. All you have to do is sign an addendum to your deed saying that you want her name added. It only takes a minute. You don't have to contact the mortgage company ahead of time. She doesn't have to be on the loan to be on the deed. Just send them a copy of the updated deed after it is recorded with the courthouse.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:51 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,857,373 times
While I was married to her, I added my ex-wife with a quit claim (I had bought the house before we were married). Then I removed her before I refinanced to a lower interest rate, because her credit was so lousy. As far as dividing the property for the divorce, my lawyer told me it didn't really matter that I took her name off the deed, because the judge cares about intent, and my intent in adding her was to give her half, but my intent in taking her off was just to get the loan in my name only.

The silver lining in the tanking real estate market was that I didn't have to write her a big check to get the house back. She owed me tens of thousands in rent because she stayed in the house for a couple years, which completely offset the gain in equity, and I got a judgment against her for the rest.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:27 AM

700 posts, read 1,329,274 times
Its entirely possible. Since she is blind you might want to spend the couple of grand on lawyer to make sure you get all the benefits you are entitled to. Or you could skip the lawyer part and just go straight to the title company and ask the same question to them as you did here.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:35 AM

1,282 posts, read 1,903,290 times
I cannot figure out why you would want to do that. All you are doing to transferring a liability to your new wife. She does not benefit at all because, if you file married, the home interest deduction will still be the same. By putting her name on it, you are extending liability for the mortgage, insurance and taxes to her. And, if you are married to her and you die, she will get the home in any case.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:38 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
I cannot figure out why you would want to do that. All you are doing to transferring a liability to your new wife. She does not benefit at all because, if you file married, the home interest deduction will still be the same. By putting her name on it, you are extending liability for the mortgage, insurance and taxes to her. And, if you are married to her and you die, she will get the home in any case.
he wants to capitolize on the benefits that she receives on taxes because of being blind

Old 11-15-2011, 12:57 PM

62 posts, read 143,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
I did one of these last year. I understand what your saying about transferring liability, but some people need to see their name on something to feel like they own it. To each his own. Anyway, it's pretty easy to add someone to a deed. Follow the instructions and fill out the "declaration of value form" in this link http://www.clarkcountynv.gov/Depts/r.../DV_Packet.pdf.
Once completed, take it down to the Clark county recorders office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada