Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2009, 12:40 PM

66 posts, read 306,038 times

Advertisements

I'll be driving across Nevada on a roadtrip from the East Coast to the West Coast in a few months. Should I take route 50 or I-80 across? Which is the more scenic/more stuff to do road?

Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 07:52 PM

357 posts, read 1,613,990 times
Default Can you narrow down the timeframe some more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gxl35 View Post
I'll be driving across Nevada on a roadtrip from the East Coast to the West Coast in a few months. Should I take route 50 or I-80 across? Which is the more scenic/more stuff to do road?

Thanks for your input!
If you come across US-50 when there is still snow possible, you could be delayed for a day here or there.

Personally, I think that US-50 is more scenic in that you see some of the last areas of the west where there is nothing. Zippo, nada, nothing. Just huge, open valleys with no development at all.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:42 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
It really depends on what interests you most.

I-80 runs along the Humboldt River and is a bit quicker. You can stop at Wendover on the border and see the old Air Force base where the Enola Gay was based.

You can stop at Elko, home of the Northeastern Nevada Museum, which is a great little museum with a lot of local exhibits and a great taxidermy wing. There is also a great western museum in the downtown area and a shop where they make handmade saddles. Nearby in Lamoille Canyon in the Ruby Mountains and the Ruby Meadows, one of the most remote and least visited wildlife reserves.
Also, there are some GREAT Basque restaurants.

Winnemucca also has a small museum. And of course, you will hit Reno and Truckee, CA.

The freeway is pretty much 80 mph the entire way and is mostly rural.

US-50 is promoted by the Nevada Tourism Department as the "world's loneliest road." Personally, while there are a few scenic towns in the area and some ghost towns nearby, I have been on a number of roads in Nevada that are far more remote and lonely.

You can have a blast on either road as long as you keep your gas tank full and carry plenty of water and a little food should your vehicle break down.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:47 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,514,699 times
Snow won't be a problem in a "few months." Take U.S. 50 for sure!! Make sure you stay in ELY at the Hotel Nevada. Touristy but awesome. Free margarita upon checkin. Hundreds of miles of gorgeous scenery and nothing else.

Also, further East, try highway 24 through Utah - simply stunning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada