Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2009, 10:13 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times

Advertisements

We're going up to Great Basin later this month - we're heading up there on a Friday night and leaving Sunday afternoon, and we're staying at a motel in Baker.

On Saturday night we're attending a star party, and on Sunday morning we're going to take one of the tours of Lehman Caves. That'll leave us with the daylight hours on Saturday, and a few hours on Sunday before heading for home.

Besides Lehman, are there any other "must see" things that we should check out? The cave tour is about as "active" as we can be, due to my girlfriend's broken back, so long hikes and other such things are (very unfortunately) not an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 12:08 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,725,748 times
Since you don't want to take any long hikes, there isn't much else to do. There are a couple of small lakes not far from the road to visit. There is also a glacier (unless global warming melted it) and some old bristlecone pines, but I think that would require a hike. I once hiked to the top of Wheeler Peak (about 13,000 ft.) in the park, but that nearly killed me .

In the cave, there is some walking up and down stairs. Take your own flashlight and a jacket (it's cold in the cave).

Old 06-08-2009, 09:41 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
It's not that we don't want to go hiking, we can't.

That's pretty much what I figured. I thought that maybe there might be some specific points of interest not far from the road, but I'm not surprised that there's not. I think we're going to spend part of the day on Saturday fishing, part on just a scenic drive and we'll probably take a nap in the afternoon to rest up for the star party.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:37 AM

402 posts, read 1,528,673 times
There is a less than 1/2 mile paved nature walk path at the top of Mt. Wheeler rd. (the road that goes to the top). It's completly paved and has ramps if taking a wheelchair/scooter is a neccesity. The drive and the views are beautiful. There is also a visitors center in Baker thats got lots of info on the area, but that may take an hour at most. There's a ton of little ghost towns on the west side of the mountain. May require a 4wd vehical for some of them. Check out here and select White Pine county. Other than that, bring a book or two and enjoy the laid back life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada