Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2014, 07:09 PM

304 posts, read 396,932 times

Advertisements

Hello to my Granite State neighbors,

My Wife & I have to move out of Connecticut...
It's just too populated, busy, noisy, no privacy, too many New Yorkers etc.

How are houses for rent up there?
Prices/availability etc.

Possibly rent-to-own, is in my mind.

We are looking for some elbow-space land, privacy, peace & quiet.

I'd like my nearest neighbor to be 1/2 - 1 mile away!

Am I just dreaming, or is it possible? (Or do I have to move to Alaska, for this)? For real.

Would houses be cheaper the farther North one goes?

We are both in our 60's (62 & 67) and looking for some peace & serenity before were 'planted'.

-I attended New England College, in Henniker, during the 70's. I just Love NH.

Any help/answers would be greatly appreciated!

Happy Easter to All.

CTwoodnutt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 09:50 PM

1,200 posts, read 2,216,641 times
Half a mile might be hard but not being able to see your neighbors won't be hard.

Location is everything. Look at new hampshire apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist for an idea of some houses for rent.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:21 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,382,247 times
If you buy a wooded lot, you don't need a 1/2 mile separation from your neighbor. A few hundred feet of wooded distance will make your neighbor invisible (maybe not as much in winter unless you have a lot of pine/spruce trees)

Old 04-20-2014, 08:03 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,174,862 times
There are plenty of homes on 20+ acres in Sullivan and Grafton Counties for sale, but hardly any for rent. If you could find a house that's been on the market for a long time with no offers, perhaps you could persuade the owner to lease the house with an option to buy. But I doubt it.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:06 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,668,367 times
Lightbulb High property taxes == expensive house rentals

NH can be an expensive place to retire or to rent a house, in part because so much funding comes from property tax and so little comes from income/interest/dividends taxes. You might look at retiring to Maine instead of NH?

Yes, NH housing is generally cheaper the farther north one goes. As a general rule, once you get far enough from the MA border or from major highways such that the area is no longer attractive for commuters (especially workers commuting to Massachusetts), prices drop significantly. OTOH, you don't need to get very far into the boonies for words like "populated, busy, noisy, no privacy" to become inapplicable.

I see a fair number of houses for rent in S.NH, more so as summer approaches. These would be on 1-2 acre wooded lots, not 20+ acres, but as mentioned, all you need is 2 acres and sufficient evergreens and your neighbors become invisible. I only know they are there from the small caliber target practice on a sunny weekend morning like today or when I hear their generator kick on.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:03 PM

611 posts, read 1,204,655 times
I agree with all of the statements above. Further north = more rural and generally cheaper rents. We are on just over 13 acres and can't see any of our neighbors due to all of the woods. I've never heard any generators, but I do hear them shooting in the woods on occasion, and I think it's a fair ways off.
I found the rental market in NH a bit challenging, but if you are not limiting by proximity to employment, you might find more options. I thought the rental prices rather high compared to where we had moved from, but then again I was just looking at rentals in our old town in Washington for a family member and couldn't believe how much they had jumped in the past couple of years! Craigslist is a decent place to start. Dartmouth Hitchcock also has a real estate website where rentals in the Upper Valley area are listed (although anything in close proximity to Hanover tends to be pricey).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire