Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2011, 07:33 AM

3 posts, read 15,406 times

Advertisements

Hi, newbie here looking to buy a house in Southern NH... The current owners have just done a renovation on the house and took off the old gutters (they were ugly and needed to be replaced anyway). The problem now is that the basement started leaking and one common solution here in New England is to dig a channel around the basement perimeter and install a sump pump to pump out any water that may come in.

To me, that's not solving the root cause of the issue, which is that water should be taken away from the walls of the house using gutters. However, I know many people have huge issues with ice dams in the winter and have potentially worse problems DUE to gutters.

So, what do people in Southern NH do for this issue? Do you have gutters on your house?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 07:43 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
My dad house in Nashua does not have gutters, (Ice dam is the reason he doen't) Along the edge of the house Under the mulch, he has 2-3 foot of gravel, then a slit filter and a french drain (black plastic tub with slots in it to catch the water and let it run down hill into the woods down hill of the house. Also the grade around the house has the surface water flow away from the house.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:32 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,008,451 times
we have gutters. we also installed the french drain/sump pump. best move we made.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:21 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,986,863 times
One item lacking in most home constructions is proper perimeter drains. Drain pipes in ground. Most contractors just do not place enough or adequate perimeter drains in home construction. Perimeter drains take water away from home. Most homes are not properly sealed on exterior of foundation either.

The earth does move with each season with frost and such and problems can arise.

You do want to get water away from home.

A properly installed roof will not develope any icicles or ice dams. Many homes are constructed with poor ventilation in roof and roof rafters.

Most new roofs today have ice and water shield placed under shingles to prevent any water intake from roof.

When I had one of my homes built I doubled the perimeter drains and placed a drain in corner of basement connected to a flexible pipe that went downhill away from house. I never had any issue with water in basement. That home was sold and the new owner in his "landscaping" covered up the drain outside. The next year he had a foot of water in basement.

Once water starts in a basement it is difficlut to cure the issue.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:30 PM

223 posts, read 540,208 times
basements can be sealed for both water and radon with epoxy paints (note that radon travels with/in the water vapor migrating through the concrete) - other water through leaks, cracks and the porosity of concrete. Leaks along the floor/wall areas the the most easy to fix.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:53 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,007 times
Call Wet Basement Solutions and talk to Ed Saltalamacchia. He will tell you anything you want to know.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:07 PM

3 posts, read 15,406 times
Thanks for the info. I just heard from a close friend who has a house right on the MA/NH border and he also talked about French drains being the best solution:

Quote:
I have gutters. Most houses do have them, especially when you have a basement as it does keep the water away, somewhat. Gutters need to be cleaned at least twice a year. Ice dams only occur during unusually heavy winters, like the past year. The only cure for ice dams it to put up metal on the roof. It acts to melt the ice. There are also electric heater solutions. Honestly, you just have to remove the snow from the roof to prevent the ice buildup.

During the winter you usually don't get water in the basement. If there are visible cracks in the foundation they should be fixed. The sump pump solution should only be used when water is rising through a known area.

French drains are the best solution. Basically a trench filled with stone that moves the water down a channel away from the house. I would personally install these around my house and take down the gutters. The price is somewhere between 10 and 20 per foot. I would put the drains around the entire house. I am sure that the owner would not pay for this.

Or, just put the gutters back up. Gutters are about 5 per foot. This seems like the most cost effective solution. But, I would still install the sump pump in the area that they are talking about.

What I would do is get two local contractors to come out and take a look. Normally each has their own solution.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:45 AM

885 posts, read 2,660,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorus View Post
However, I know many people have huge issues with ice dams in the winter and have potentially worse problems DUE to gutters.

So, what do people in Southern NH do for this issue? Do you have gutters on your house?
Gutters don't cause ice dams and removing them won't stop the ice dam forming (they can be damaged by ice dams however). Improving attic insulation and venting is the best remedy for ice dams.

Gutters and down spouts can freeze solid - a heating cable can help with that. Of the 4 gutters on my house, the only one I have problems with is a north-facing mudroom that gets barely any sun in the winter. I only need a cable in that one. I have a bone dry basement.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:00 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,137,371 times
I don't know anyone that owns a sump pump so I don't know how common a remedy that is in New England. I don't have gutters. I've had gutters with caps on a previous home. Never had problems either way.

When the home was built, drainage pipes were installed all around the foundation to keep the water flow away from the basement. I've been here 7 years and it works great!

As someone already mentioned, a properly insulated and vented home won't develop ice dams.

I rake the roof when we have monster storms of a foot or more.

All in all, I'd say the leaky basement did not start because the owners removed the gutters. Something else is going on that needs to be remedied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire