Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 04:40 PM

11 posts, read 78,596 times

Advertisements

I'm student photographer and looking to build up my portfolio, but am having a hard time finding locations in NH. I am currently looking for trains, railroads, and covered bridges in NH - even abandoned ones would do just fine!

I have been told of places like the Hobo Railroad, Conway Scenic Railroad, Winnipesaukee Scenic Railroad, etc. However to my knowledge this is for people who want to actually get on the trains... I am looking for a place to just photograph people in front of trains, railroads, and covered bridges. I know many tourists that come here want photos in front of such places, so if anyone can direct me to good locations please let me know!

Here are some examples of what I mean.

http://image59.webshots.com/559/2/50...6ZmObic_ph.jpg

http://bolditalic.com/quotulatiousne...ietTrains1.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 07:59 PM

40 posts, read 128,750 times
mooniepie, you may want to include the area around Haverhill--30 miles north of Dartmouth. There are 3 covered bridges in the area: the Bath-Haverhill bridge in Woodsville, the Bath Village bridge and the Swiftwater bridge.

There are also 3 cabooses in the area: one in downtown Woodsville (being restored), one just north of the junction of Brushwood and Route 25 (on right if going north on Brushwood) in Haverhill and one just south of Littleton on Route 302 (on left if going south).

Also, Woodsville was once a major railroad center. The tracks on the VT side of the CT river still exist and you can occasionally catch a train. But there are still many signs of the old railroads. Between Woodsville and Wells River, VT you can see the remains of a very cool double-decker road/rail bridge:
New Hampshire: Haverhill. New Hampshire Haverhill Woodsville Central St 57
The old train station still exists in Woodsville and Lisbon (10 minutes north on Route 302) just restored theirs with a railroad museum.

Oh, and in VT up near Ryegate on Route 5 is a collection of various old railroad cars (on right if going north from Wells River) which would be a great picture not far from Haverhill.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:01 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,046,862 times
if you're looking for covered bridges check out TABLE OF CONTENTS - New Hampshire Covered Bridges (http://www.nh.gov/nhdhr/bridges/table.html - broken link) it lists the bridges and also by town. and of course there's the cog railway up Mt Washington. don't pay much attention to trains though, can't help you there.

But so what if those places are for people who want to ride, can't you go and take a picture anyway?? contact them and see if you can go at an off hour (just before opening or just after closing) and see if they'll let you take some pics. worst they can do is say 'no'.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:37 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,855,481 times
Look in the back of any copy of TRAINS magazine for information. Also check the State of NH Tourist Web site. AMTRAK operates the Downeaster through Rockingham County daily. IIRC there is a tourist railroad operating out of White River Jct. Vermont in the summer.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:56 PM

11 posts, read 78,596 times
Thank you all, you have been more than helpful!

Old 03-14-2011, 01:22 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,885,259 times
There are alot of Rail tourists in Kingston,RI...during the summer there is high demand for photos. Its about 2-3hrs south of NH , but worth it. Its in the 150mph Amtrak zone....

Old 03-14-2011, 01:57 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,993,822 times
Don't forget the Cog Railway.

There is 2 covered bridges in Conway, 1 in Jackson, another just in the east end of the Kanc, one in Ashland, more to the west in towns i don't recall the names of off the top of my head.

Look over Crazy Daves posts, as he has a great collection of covered brides and where they are right here on CD.

The fist link is N Conway, I can't tell where the 2nd link pic is.

Groveton also has a trains related park. Loon Ski area has a logging railroad engine at their entrance. Upo the kanch about center is a old house, usually open house in the season, just east of there and on the north side of the kanc is a very ld railroad bed, that if you wander around and look hard you can tell it was.

Don't know if this will float yer stick, but from there if you take the Bear Notch Rd north, and drive to the last gate in Bartlett, walk east into the woods till you hit the brook and then walk down the brook you can see old wooden mill dams, piles of red brick, and bits of very old band saw blade layin about.

The old Peg Mill still has it's steam engine, but that is no longer used. You might be able to get permission to photo it though.

The Coinway Sceneic runs foliage rides and if you plan it right, you could be up on Frankenstien Tressel, on the moutainside really, next to it, and get shots in foliage with the train passing over that tressel. Don't be on the tressel with a train too, unless you can fly..

Just south of there is a Old Stone Inn that once served passengers on that train, in the day.

There might still be another stone building nearer the tracks but i don't know if it is still standing.

Just west but still in the town center of Franconia is a old tyree (sp) A place where iron was made. It looks a like a stone castle.

By the entrance road to Livermore off Rt 302 just above Bartlett is 2 stone chimney still standing on the west side, which were once logging camps I think, but may have been early Inns.

Also in foliage the Conway scenic has to pass iron bridges called iron and a number In Bartlett is 3 Iron and 4 Iron leaving town. The trains have no choice but to ride over these, and there is another in Conway, down behind where the new LL Bean is. I am suggesting you get pics with a train on these....

There is plenty trains never ride on these days still around.

In Glen there is a covered bridge too, but it contains a small gift shop of some sort and I am not into that.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:32 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,347,993 times
Warner has a couple of nice covered bridges as well.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:51 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,548,357 times

Albany covered bridge on rte 112

Blair covered bridge Campton NH

Warner NH, there are four in the immediate area

At the Flume

Conway

Go explore, take pictures, have a blast..I do

Old 03-18-2011, 07:08 PM

70 posts, read 166,272 times
I can't remember if this is the exact one, but last summer I saw some really pretty covered bridges in Contoocook, NH:

Probably not what you're looking for...but Windham, NH has a caboose at the start of their rail trail:

There's also a tiny covered bridge off 102 in Londonderry (attached). I've never really understood why it's there - it doesn't seem to lead to anything...
Attached Thumbnails
Trains, railroads, and covered bridges?-screen-shot-2011-03-18-8.34.19   Trains, railroads, and covered bridges?-screen-shot-2011-03-18-8.46.22  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire