Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 11:02 PM

615 posts, read 1,075,601 times

Advertisements

I have been somewhat intrigued with New Hampshire for a while now, despite it being apparently the reddest state in the Northeast. When I briefly drove through it it was quite scenic, and it seems to not be overpopulated like much of the country. And when I see voters interviewed about the New Hampshire primaries you sound very rational and level headed.

I am from Washington state and recently moved back here, but I get depressed with the amount of growth here, mass immigration and high cost of living.

Anyways, I sometimes wonder what other states would be acceptable to live in, so I am curious about New Hampshire. What are people there like, and is it actually conservative, or just non conformist? I am a democrat but also slightly libertarian (like being against smoking bans in bars).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 11:32 PM

5 posts, read 8,674 times
That all depends on you. Move to a large town or city and you will likely not encounter any hot-heads. Get involved in local politics and you will pull your hair out, although I think that is a universal human condition. You may find yourself with open, welcoming neighbors, but don't count on it. I'm painting with a broad brush, but we mind our own business. I've lived in the same suburban house for 25 years and have never been in a neighbor's house once. I only visit to deliver thank-you cookies if someone used their snowblower on our driveway. I have no idea who lives in the next streets.

Here's a big tip: see if you can't find the 2012 NH Republican Primary town by town results; they were in the Manchester paper(Unionleader.com). Consider the policies of the candidates and what % of the vote they got. That will give you a very good idea on how your future neighbors think. I examined those results closely and found my prejudices reinforced.

I do want add that if you want to live off the grid in the sticks, NH can do that. But if you want a luxury condo in a thriving downtown, we can do that too. From grim trailer parks and crumbling 3 deckers to waterside or hill-top estates, we've got variety in real estate.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:38 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,173,884 times
I'm not sure how NH compares to your area of WA in particular, but in general New England has a relatively high cost of living. Homes are more affordable in the northern and western parts of the state away from the major population centers (and job hubs) in the southeastern part of NH.

The population growth rate in NH between 2000-2010 was 6.5%, which is the highest rate in New England but lower than most western states (Washington was 14.1%).

NH is definitely a politically well-balanced state, although libertarianism is more heavily represented than in most states. It is definitely not conservative in the traditional social sense (i.e. we have same sex marriage and the lowest church attendance rates in the country), but in most other respects it is more conservative than its neighbors. But our elections are always close - we are a purple state, not a red state or a blue state. The majority of voters are independents. As with anywhere, certain parts of the state lean more heavily one way or the other.

I'm not sure I could describe "what people are like" in NH with a few sentences on an Internet forum; it would be best for you to visit and speak with some NHites! From a purely statistical standpoint, we are healthier and more well-educated than most other rural areas in the US. Also, modest. For the sake of generalization, I would say that, like most New Englanders, we tend to be a little more reserved than many other parts of the country, but once you get past that people here are very friendly, tolerant, and loyal.

If you like NH, you might also enjoy Vermont, which is similar to NH in many ways but with a different political climate.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:38 PM

That sounds kind of like here (eastern Wa), although I've only been here a year, I think the people that have lived here longer mostly know each other.

So people aren't too friendly? How's the fishing there? I know there is hiking in the white mountains.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:47 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,173,884 times
I think there's an important distinction between "friendly" and "outgoing." Are people in NH friendly? Absolutely, IMO. Outgoing? Not as much.

We have rivers and lakes up the wazoo. I don't fish but I can't imagine the fishing being poor here.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:56 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB328 View Post
I have been somewhat intrigued with New Hampshire for a while now, despite it being apparently the reddest state in the Northeast. When I briefly drove through it it was quite scenic, and it seems to not be overpopulated like much of the country. And when I see voters interviewed about the New Hampshire primaries you sound very rational and level headed.

I am from Washington state and recently moved back here, but I get depressed with the amount of growth here, mass immigration and high cost of living.

Anyways, I sometimes wonder what other states would be acceptable to live in, so I am curious about New Hampshire. What are people there like, and is it actually conservative, or just non conformist? I am a democrat but also slightly libertarian (like being against smoking bans in bars).

Only you can decide if you would be happy in New Hampshire or any other place. There are pros and cons to everything and every place. Every state has towns that started small and stayed small. It just depends on you and what you require as far as necessities go. Personally I have to drive 20 miles to go to the grocery which I don't mind at all. It is a nice drive unless the weather is really bad but I plan my trips so I am sure to have what I need for the pantry and the freezer for more than a few days, except for milk and eggs which cannot be frozen or kept for long periods of time in the fridge.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:17 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
I usually stay away from threads like this, but it's quite late, and before I comment, I'm going to play Devil's Advocate with your words...

despite it being apparently the reddest state in the Northeast

it seems to not be overpopulated like much of the country

voters interviewed about the New Hampshire primaries ̶y̶o̶u̶ sound very rational and level headed

I get depressed with the amount of growth here, mass immigration and high cost of living.

I am a democrat

Overall and traditionally, New Hampshire residents tend to be fiscally conservative, and socially libertarian, a rather unique mix. You won't find mega-churches in this area, and religion is not a general topic of discussion. Gay marriage is legal here, and many residents/voters (Republicans & Independents, interestingly enough!) are fighting to keep it that way.

Many NH residents (myself included) are people who relocated here from heavily democratic states, in hopes of escaping the big (corrupt) government & high tax/spend policies of our home state. Verseau shared an interesting voting map from the 2008 elections in another recent thread; I think it pertains to this thread as well:
http://maperitif.files.wordpress.com...i-2008-map.pdf

If you have heavy democratic leanings, Massachusetts or Vermont might be more to your liking. Both states are quite scenic as well, and once you're away from the Boston area, population density in MA drops dramatically, especially in the western part of the state.

Quote:

Old 02-06-2012, 09:35 PM

Realistically I'll probably never move that far, but it's something I like to think about, in case I had to for some reason. I like to keep a running list of "acceptable" states and NH would probably be one.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:11 AM

6,574 posts, read 6,740,252 times
Quote:
Realistically I'll probably never move that far, but it's something I like to think about, in case I had to for some reason. I like to keep a running list of "acceptable" states and NH would probably be one.
And there you go......at least he admits he's wasting YOUR time.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:55 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
That's OK. I'm sure the info that everyone provided will help SOMEONE out there, if not this week, perhaps next, or next month, or next year...

And at least this one didn't waste my working hours or ever-more precious gallons of petrol Looking at the time of our responses, I wasn't the only insomniac answering questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
And there you go......at least he admits he's wasting YOUR time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire