Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 11:18 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times

Advertisements

Gps locators: I never owned one, since my old carcass isn't worth the saving, but I think F&G was confused since these guys were not in any avalanche zones...

If F&G hadn't taken the signal seriously, which I almost bet they didn't these 2 guys might never have been rescued.

Don't count on getting rescued and still being alive. Cell phones mostly don't work in these mountains either...

I never counted on ever getting rescued alive.....

The best way to never have that happen is to have what ever food and shelter you need with you and don't ever abandon that.

Over years of living here and hiking here, many people who don't make it have everything they could want, but panic and drop their packs to speed up getting out...

Then they don't get out anyway.... Not very smart.

As a RMC care taker i once encountered several men a SWAT team on training from Va..

These big men were all talk and no action. They had every bit of gear the state of Va. could buy and still panicked...

The one part of their gear I didn't like was everything was black

Trying to find all black gear in a all black pack made their work in real cold difficult.

They showed up in Feb over presidents week in the mid 80's when I was a sub caretaker for Gray Knob.

It was around +55 and raining... I had to suffer a lot of BS about my long hair and listen to how rough and tuff these SWAT guys were..

Next thing it started to cool off to around + 10, nothing for that area in dead winter..

But of course by then even though these guys were staying in doors they had managed to get wet.. bad move in my mountains in winter.

And so how they all whined when they discovered the care takers stove is not for warming anything when the care takers is gone..

I went on a rampage and put the stove OUT Care takers in summer work real hard to gather spruce dead and down only, for any winter wood at all, and it is a big deal and a matter of pride to never light a fire in a RMC camp stove, except in a real emergency....

Well the next day saw that and that stove still didn't get lit...

it went to a mild - 10 below and these SWAT guys just freaked out, and abandoned their gear to run down the hill.

They insisted I bring all that stuff down too, and get it shipped to Va.... Yeah right.....

I got that stuff down alright but none of ever went to Va again.... There was more than I needed, so I kept of it what i wanted and gave the rest away.... My son still has a all black sleeping bag..

Just don't let this happen to you........

This SWAT group was the very worst of the very worst in my experience that lived to tell of it. Some others didn't.

The next to worst was Boy Scouts.. Same place same time different year.... A tale for another day....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 10:38 AM

611 posts, read 1,205,028 times
GPS doesn't work in every area as well. Should never be substituted for a map and compass. I've heard many a story of someon getting jammed up because they only relied on GPS and had no map.
I'll let you know if I pick up a SVEA, Mac. Probably won't be for awhile as I don't see any overnighters in my near future but it looks like it would be a better option than the Jet Boil. I'm now wondering if that was the stove that my father had buried in his old backpacking gear. He nearly gave it to me, but I didn't want to raid all of his stuff. Bummer.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:03 PM

I wish you had been my daughter My kid raided all my stuff ...

The GPS these guys had was a locator. It isn't any thing like a hand held trail gps....

The locator sends a distress signal only, and is used by back country folks in avalanche prone areas.

The fact they used it in an area not noted for avalanche just caused confusion..

I sometimes travel in avalanche prone areas, and I won't even have one of those locators, but I'm old

I am just not the type to get my self into a problem like that. I won't ski places like that, and I watch how the snow IS... I don't want to carry a tool that only does one thing... call for help.

Try that boil jet when it's wicked cold out, after having left it out a long time...

That canister won't do a whole lot..... It is a 3 seasons stove..

Old 01-05-2013, 08:51 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady fern View Post
GPS doesn't work in every area as well. Should never be substituted for a map and compass. I've heard many a story of someon getting jammed up because they only relied on GPS and had no map.
They probably had SPOT or a PLB...the GPS wasn't for them finding their way- the devices send the coordinates based on GPS via satellite. PLBs are a lot more reliable/useful...but only really send rescue signals, SPOT on the other hand relies 100% on GPS but can send pre-programmed non-emergency messages as well.

Map, Compass...totally the way to go for navigating.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:31 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Stranded hikers found on Mt. Lafayette | Local News - WMUR Home

Stranded hikers found on Mt. Lafayette

These 2 guys are lucky to be alive.....
These guys ARE lucky to be alive... about the same time last week, at least one snowmobiler was killed when she drove onto Rangely Lake in Maine, and hit open water. Three other snowmobiler's are missing but haven't yet been found. Saddest thing is that her 16 year old was driving with her, but managed to get out of the water and back onto the ice when the sled he was driving went into open water as well. These areas of wilderness are unforgiving in winter--make one mistake and it could be your last...

Old 01-06-2013, 05:24 PM

The ice on lakes hasn't had any thing like enough cold nights to freeze well, in my area, and to make matters worse it has snowed which just insulates water and won't really make ice..

people today were out on
Google

And there is open water still! No lake ice is safe IMO at the moment...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire