Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 09:00 AM

1,780 posts, read 3,932,096 times

Advertisements

Hi. When we had movement in SW NH from the Maine earthquake a while ago, I didn't recognize it. Indeed, my house moved, but it was a little too weird for me.

Last night I did not feel any movement, but I noticed pulsating noises coming from the center of my house. Also, in the first case my older home spewed several decades of hidden dust into the air and that also happened last night.

Anyone else???
(No wisecracks about my needing to dust more often!!! )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 09:03 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,699,747 times
No

Old 04-04-2013, 09:23 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Nothing in Tamworth happened but that is typical. I see nothing on the news either. You might investigate items that heat your house and assorted other machines if any in the cellar.

Do you happen to have any wood fired heating? i almost wonder if you had a chimney fire..... A good hot fire in the chimney will made noises something like a freight train, but if you had a less fire like that it may have made a different sound. it is a woof woof or huff huff kind of noise.

Rapidly moving air makes the noise as the fire fans up hotter, then there is too much air and the fire gets lean (not enough fuel) and the air slows rapidly until the burn gets a bit more fuel and a bit more energy requires more air and then you get the next huff.

This repeats until the fuel is exhausted or the house burns down.

This will send showers of dust thru out the house too. In some cases that will mean a chimney liner made of steel or tile has worn out and air is moving thru the entire side walls of the chimney masonry both ways and you may see dark creosote stains on the bricks in any exposed places, and in the attic.

I can't know with the little you said.... I could be way off..... But if i am not, you have some ideas now as to what you should be looking at. Having a house burn down would probably give you a bad hair day.

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 04-04-2013 at 09:33 AM..

Old 04-04-2013, 09:31 AM

Thanks for the replies, Aptor hours and Mac_Muz.

"Something" happened where I am, still checking news sites.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:06 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,009,298 times
Nope, there was one on 4/1 in NY and one on 3/30 in Maine but no others nearby recently.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:10 AM

[quote=Mac_Muz;28974044]Nothing in Tamworth happened but that is typical. I see nothing on the news either. You might investigate items that heat your house and assorted other machines if any in the cellar.

Do you happen to have any wood fired heating?

Thanks for the suggestion. No wood burning here. I did check the basement and discovered that two of the cracks (one wall, one floor) that became evident after the first quake are now more noticeable.

lol Maybe it was just on my property!! Just kidding... something will turn up sooner or later.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:46 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,699,747 times
Wow that is kind of funny!!!

Old 04-04-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Wow that is kind of funny!!!
Yup. Strange all right. I might be more sensitive... have noticed actual, reported quakes that other people have not in the past.

I sure hope it turns out that I'm NOT the only one who suspects this even happened!!!

Old 04-04-2013, 03:17 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Busted town water main possible? The strange thing is it seems to be your place, and no other place..

Damned if I know. Stay Safe..... I know that sounds strange coming from me. But that is a rule of mine in life whether or not any one believes it.

Oh I am super curious to know what you find, if you do.

I did notice the last one back over in Maine, but that place isn't all that far from me as the crow flies.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:56 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Lightbulb Maybe it really was just on your property?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
lol Maybe it was just on my property!! Just kidding... something will turn up sooner or later.
It's entirely possible that your foundation or the surrounding earth shifted/resettled, particularly given the recent thawing and subsequent movement of water and frozen earth...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire