Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2013, 03:30 PM

197 posts, read 280,323 times

Advertisements

Could the now-closed A&P supermarket in Peterborough (was empty last I checked, but that was long ago) have also been a Food Fair or Pantry Pride before A&P? I grew up with parents working at Food Fair in the 1950s in Philadelphia. When the name changed to Pantry Pride in the 1960s, we were relocated by the company to Waterville, Maine. I have no knowledge or records of FF/PP in NH but geographically it makes sense they were in this state.

Also, was the Rite Aid in the A&P shopping center a Brooks drugstore? It looks to have either been a Brooks or Eckerd but I am unable to tell which. And if it were an Eckerd, would it have been a Fays or perhaps a Thrift Drug before that? I also have a suspicion that the ex-A&P was demolished for a replacement Rite Aid at some point.

And was the Shell station (with a Dunkin Donuts attached) across the street a Texaco before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 11:26 PM

197 posts, read 280,323 times
Oops... I probably should have mentioned before that Pantry Pride (along with the JM Fields big-box stores from Florida to Maine that they owned) went out of business way back in 1979-1980, so nobody under 40 has likely heard of the company.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:12 PM

14 posts, read 29,780 times
That store was an A&P, not a good one, and was replaced by a Stop & Shop, which did a few cosmetic upgrades, no real improvement. It's now occupied by the NH state liquor store. There is a new Shaw's on the west side of town, which was not great and somewhat expensive, but Shaw's was bought out by another chain last year and has improved greatly, with competitive prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire