Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 05:35 AM

4 posts, read 16,418 times

Advertisements

I was trying to close on a newly constructed property in manchester on july 17th but I noticed wet basement all around the floor and the walls at final walk through on july 16th.
On close look I notice black molds on the main beam and the stairs. I talked to the builder but he said its normal and mentioned that if I was not trying to do the closing.
I postponed the closing and trying to find out the reason behind the wet basement and molds.
I already have some down payments made to the builder.
Can anyone give me the suggestion what should be my next steps please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 07:38 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
Oh that's terrible, and how disappointing for you--Without seeing your contract, we are limited in what we can advise. Was there a Home Inspection done at any point? Buyers ARE entitled to have inspections done, after a certain point in the building process. Since there is definitely moisture and you are noticing some discoloration, you really need to get somebody in there ASAO who can identify WHAT it is, HOW to remediate, and WHO will be responsible for payment. The builder should NOT be doing clean-up at this point, unless you agree in writing what the method of remediation is to be. If you decide not to move forward on this home, getting your deposits back may require an attorney. What does your own real estate agent say about this (hopefully you didn't go in on your own and expect the builder's agent to 'take care of everything'). Your agent should have some names of good remediation companies--if you need, I can send you one as well. Sorry you are going through this

Old 07-19-2013, 10:05 AM

I had a stupid idea not to do inspection in new construction and spend some money. I totally relied on city because they always do inspection for new construction. I saw the CO and talked to the people from city hall. They just said water was not there when did inspection. Is the builder supposed to fix the problem if I really want to buy it.if they want to fix it how long shall I have to wait because I m supposed to be moving out from my appartment at the end of this month.

Last edited by otamang; 07-19-2013 at 10:15 AM.. Reason: words missing

Old 07-19-2013, 10:33 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I, without any more information, suggest walking away from this place. If the basement had drains properly installed and the outside covered it should not have any water. As the mold is visible the water has been there for some time. Probably since the first floor deck was built. The contractor obviously knew about this problem but expected you not to notice. Like I suggested - walk away.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:43 PM

489 posts, read 964,302 times
I'm with GregC. Cut your losses and walk away if you can.

-Mike

Old 07-19-2013, 07:03 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,182,602 times
You should read this: Mold: Is It Hiding in the Home You're Buying? | Nolo.com and this: New-Home Defects: Holding Your Builder Responsible | Nolo.com

"Nolo, formerly known as Nolo Press, is a publisher in Berkeley, California, that produces do-it-yourself legal books and software that reduce the need for people to hire lawyers for simple legal matters such as making wills or writing business partnership contracts."

Old 07-19-2013, 07:37 PM

45 posts, read 162,480 times
Where is the new construction? What neighborhood? I live in a new construction neighborhood still under construction and had water in my basement when my house was about 6 months old. We worked with the builder and she fixed the water issue - they dug down next to the foundation and re-sealed the concrete where the sealant had accidentally been scraped off by a rock. The house is now 8 and we haven't had water since.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:40 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
You need to hire an attorney.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:00 AM

223 posts, read 540,350 times
common problems - you use an internal concrete sealer to reduce moisture migration through the concrete itself (not from cracks) - something like bio vee seal which leaves nothing on the surface.

The wall to floor joint it sealed with low visc solvent free epoxy - often using 4 inch wide fiberglass cloth with the epoxy along the seam.

paul

Old 07-20-2013, 09:04 PM

R u serious. How about black mold?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire