Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2015, 11:43 PM

4 posts, read 4,210 times

Advertisements

Here's the situation:
My husband and i live in Nevada. We can't find jobs for the life of us. We are wanting to move to New Hampshire with nothing (since we have nothing) and get into section 8, get jobs and get stable. My husband knows a lot of people there that can get us jobs right away. Can we get into section 8 before we move there, that way we have a place to stay? Any other suggestions? We can't stay here, it's not an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 12:00 AM

813 posts, read 1,275,163 times
Moving to New Hampshire-some advice please

I am posting your last thread to give people a little more background.

Have you ever been to NH? In general the cost of living is more in NH. A friend of mine works for NH Housing and said the list for section 8 housing is astronomical and growing, not to mention that the housing is usually in parts of town that may be like what you are trying to avoid now in NV. I am not trying to discourage you, just letting you know that the grass may not be greener in this case.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:30 AM

176 posts, read 299,348 times
When we said COL was high in NH, we weren't lying, just a quick search at Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not ok shows that rents are half again what you'd pay in Reno, and that's in Nashua, which is cheaper that where you are looking.

And the Section 8 list is something like 7 years long at this point? You'll need to make those rents for a very long time.

Didn't we suggest looking into Mass? They're generally more generous with support, and lots of places there are just as nice, they also have public transport and more compact neighborhoods, which will be helpful if you have trouble keeping a car inspected, and since you never mentioned if you've even seen snow, and would be working low-skill jobs, you'll need to go to work even in the foot-plus snowstorms we occasionally get. Remember if you crash, and anything happens to the car, you're going to be in a bad spot in NH, as you can't travel anywhere outside of some areas of Manchester, Nashua, part of downtown Portsmouth, and maybe bits of Keene, without a car.

I understand you want a safe place to live, I think we all want that, but remember that you need to eat and find a place to live when you get there too. I think we suggested finding a safer area in proximity and building up your nest egg there before you make a drastic move? I still stand by that advice, remember that climate and infrastructure of the state are going to add costs that just looking at rent won't show (gas for long commutes, car inspection every year, new winter coats, boots, scarves, mittens/gloves for kids every year, heating costs, daycare, etc.), and if you're not able to make ends meet already, what's the plan for when you get to an unknown area with no family or friends?

Last edited by Yac; 05-13-2015 at 06:29 AM..

Old 05-10-2015, 04:35 AM

8,272 posts, read 11,018,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angela.boylagh View Post
We can't stay here, it's not an option.

What does that mean?

Old 05-10-2015, 06:14 AM

2,649 posts, read 3,548,664 times
so..you wanna move here and sponge.. yeah sure..try mass they love your type

Old 05-10-2015, 08:59 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,216,834 times
To the OP, if you think that you need Section 8 to afford to live in NH, then you shouldn't try to move here. Then what will you do in the winter with the high heating bills?

And sub shop skills = getting paid minimum wages... again, not enough to raise a family on.

Old 05-11-2015, 04:48 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,859,471 times
I suggest staying where you are and get your problems solved and then save a year's income or so before you even think about moving.

Moving to New Hampshire to use welfare is a bad idea. We simply do not have very much in this state.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:44 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,456,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angela.boylagh View Post
Here's the situation:
My husband and i live in Nevada. We can't find jobs for the life of us. We are wanting to move to New Hampshire with nothing (since we have nothing) and get into section 8, get jobs and get stable. My husband knows a lot of people there that can get us jobs right away. Can we get into section 8 before we move there, that way we have a place to stay? Any other suggestions? We can't stay here, it's not an option.
Can you in theory? Yes. You can fill out an application: New Hampshire Housing - Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8)

In practice, no, you cannot. It takes several years to get a voucher. By the time you get the voucher, your circumstances will have changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire