Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 01:44 PM

9,257 posts, read 6,407,652 times

Advertisements

I am wondering what other people think about Harbor Freight Tools. They are opening a new store soon in Salem and this location will be extremely convenient for me. Regarding their existing locations, Amherst is a pain to get to from Atkinson and I dislike paying the sales tax at the Danvers store.

Among my close friends and family opinions are equally split. Some rave about the place and others appear less than enchanted. I have bought multiple items from the Amherst and Danvers, MA locations and the items seem to be holding up well under a "weekend" warrior" usage pattern. Does anyone have any positive or negative opinions about Harbor Freight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 07:10 PM

132 posts, read 196,420 times
I have had great bargains that worked fine, like a huge drill press, and some things that were crap, like chisels.
I got a $5 multimeter years ago that still works, plus some wrenches and they're fine.
I guess it's hit or miss.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:47 PM

17,497 posts, read 22,253,044 times
Made in China (or worse)!

I have been to the store twice and spent about $25 total. My issue is I would be embarrassed to own any of their stuff and tools stay around for decades so it would aggravate me to look at junk tools for years to come.

Short term savings (on made in China crap) is what is killing America, so I try to limit my participation.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:02 PM

489 posts, read 966,428 times
I've bought a few tools from them. When someone asks to borrow one of my tools, that's what they get.

-Mike

Old 07-13-2013, 10:34 PM

978 posts, read 2,060,562 times
Some of their tools are fine, some are junk. Their simple tools are fine (needle nose pliers, small wrenches, etc.) but I would pony up the cash for a better tools that have moving parts. I was trying to remove a bolt on my car with an old HF socket and the metal was so cheap that it split. I bought a Kobalt set from Lowe's for around $40 and don't regret it.

In the end, if you just need something to use around the house, their tools are okay, but if you work on cars and other stuff, I would spend a little more and get some Craftsman or Kobalt tools.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:43 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,904,518 times
I agree with most of the posters. Some of the stuff is functional and some is junk. It is better to buy from a NH store because you can look stuff over before you purchase. Heat teated tools like chisels are a real guess. Bring a file with you to see if they were acually hardened.

It is helpful if you have some talent for machine repair. Replacing bearings on motorized tools like grinders, saws and similar is a good idea. New high quality ball bearing are available in Manchester. Look in the phone book.

I think Lowe's Kobalt brand tools are as good as Craftsman. The crap in Home Despot is not. Sears has deteriorated since they hired a crazy man for boss.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:20 AM

491 posts, read 1,375,015 times
I agree with the other posters.
I've bought some light duty items at HF. Stuff I don't use often and won't mind throwing away after a couple uses. I got a box a zillion little paint brushes that I give to my kids to use outside (they like to "paint" concrete with pool water).

Old 07-15-2013, 08:21 AM

19,023 posts, read 26,013,792 times
It's a barrel shoot. You get what you get. i ordered a 4 inch welding grinder for a small job. It was listed as $39.95. I also ordered a box if grinding stones to fit it.

A day went by and HF called stating the grinder went of sale for 13 bucks! i was stunned and asked of the grinder was any good at all. The phone sales person had no idea.

The tool arrived and the case was a different color, the stones were all good, and that thing is 20 years old now and as good a weld grinder as it was the day I bought it.

At that time i was a X Foreign car tech and i still own Snap On in SAE, Metric and Brit Std.

HF hand tools that should be hardened are usually soft junk.

Vises are smear coated with red oxide filler over poor castings but the vises are ok if you just want to hold a drive shaft or lock up something as a 3rd hand.

If you require a precision vise forget HF. (bridgeport milling quality)

I have a motorcycle lift of theirs that works ok, but letting the bike down is still a little scary... There isn't a lot of control on the lowering side....

Old 07-15-2013, 08:32 AM

4,644 posts, read 4,936,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Sears has deteriorated since they hired a crazy man for boss.
I'll say they've gone downhill since KMart bought them...

About HF:
Some are good tools, a lot is total crap.
Good rule of thumb - don't buy anything there you need to trust your life to!

That said, I used to have a HF engine life and it worked perfectly fine. I have one of their AL jacks, and have had it for at least 8 years. I've got one of the $5 multimeters (I think it was actually on sale for $3, and supposedly $10 normally), it works. I wouldn't trust it down to the 0.01 OHM, but I just use it to see if there is 0 vs. infinite resistance, or 12V or not. I've also got a micrometer, I only trust it to the millimeter.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:39 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,904,518 times
Given the quality of these stuff I wonder just how good the Chinese machine tools they use to make some of this crap actually are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire