Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 04:32 PM

52 posts, read 114,415 times

Advertisements

and they considered it "neglengent" on my part and was fined 1,382$ I know they do that in New Hampshire.(well, I didnt at the time) But get this, they never rescued me!! I eventually rescued myself once it was daylight. I still have not paid, I've gotten numerous letters threatening my license if I do not pay. I havent gotten one in a while, but is there a chance I am not legally allowed to drive in New Hampshire? I was treated like a commited a crime when I got back to our property. I come stranging out of the wilderness, cut up, bloody, dehydrated, hungry, busted up feet, and I get treated like im in an interrogation room! Not the type of response you ecpect to be greeted to from the "rescuers" ....well techically they werent in that case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 05:01 PM
KCZ

4,679 posts, read 3,674,811 times
You'd have to contact the DMV to find out the status of your license. I imagine you were billed because even though you technically weren't rescued, the state did send out search teams or otherwise incurred some expenses on your behalf. The state resorted to this system after several well-publicized rescues of hikers who had made no safety preparations for their hike like water or a warm jacket (other than carrying a cell phone) cost state taxpayers a lot of money.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:23 PM

810 posts, read 852,606 times
This happens quite a bit here in Oregon. People get stranded on Mount Hood. Sometimes it is REAL experienced people who get stranded but usually it is a-holes who are clueless. They need to be left up there. They are suppose to have a beacon but most don't. I have no idea if they get charged for the rescue. They are NOT prepared then wonder why they can't find their way.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:11 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,008,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
You'd have to contact the DMV to find out the status of your license. I imagine you were billed because even though you technically weren't rescued, the state did send out search teams or otherwise incurred some expenses on your behalf. The state resorted to this system after several well-publicized rescues of hikers who had made no safety preparations for their hike like water or a warm jacket (other than carrying a cell phone) cost state taxpayers a lot of money.
This. Why would you expect the tax payers to foot the bill for your poor planning and inability to keep yourself safe? I'm all for it

Old 07-15-2016, 06:28 AM

81 posts, read 88,618 times
I feel like you should provide more information. I was actually rescued after truly being lost in of all places Londonderry NH and I was never billed so I don't know about this.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:34 AM

2,649 posts, read 3,545,737 times
Did they treat you for your dehydration, your feet etc? If so they indeed have every reason to charge you. Every year, every time of the year I see accounts of ill prepared hikers who get lost, injure themselves because of wrong gear, who don't bring food, water etc. NH mountains are not Everest, heck they aren't even the tallest in the country, yet they can be absolutely fatal to the unprepared.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladylexie View Post
I feel like you should provide more information. I was actually rescued after truly being lost in of all places Londonderry NH and I was never billed so I don't know about this.
It depends on who did the searching and why you needed rescuing. Fish and Game decides if you get billed or not I believe.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:53 AM

81 posts, read 88,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
It depends on who did the searching and why you needed rescuing. Fish and Game decides if you get billed or not I believe.
Ambulance and fire came to my rescue with water found me pretty quick. The Musquash is very confusing without my dogs to show me out.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Ambulance and fire came to my rescue with water found me pretty quick. The Musquash is very confusing without my dogs to show me out.
That's town level, a different animal than when state agencies are involved.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:57 AM

2,649 posts, read 3,545,737 times
Quote:

It's a good sized chunk of real estate that's for sure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire