Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 07:19 AM

14 posts, read 38,079 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have read a bunch of posts on here about moving to NH but I thought I would ask for some suggestions based on our needs specifically. I would also like to get some input on my recent visit to look at towns (yesterday 8/27/16, we went through several towns).

So we currently live in Rhode Island (aka Rhude Island). We are looking to move because of high property tax (which I realize NH can be high too), high sales tax, high income tax, high vehicle taxes, mediocore schools, terrible politics, too liberal ideology.

What we desire: Excellent schools are a high priority. We have 3 children ages 3, 7, 10. They play sports/will play sports - baseball & soccer are important for them. We are mixed raced (caucasian/african american) & Jewish.
Other important features would be close proximity to Boston (an hour or less not including traffic) so Southern NH is the only option for us due to family mostly. We would like to have some type of neighborhood with easy access to major shopping area. We are in the medical field. Price range 400k-500k.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 07:43 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,183,576 times
You should have no trouble finding a suitable house given your price range. If you want to take the train to Boston, look into Exeter or Durham. West of I-93, suggest Bedford, Milford, Wilton or Peterborough or more rural areas of Hillsborough County.

Old 08-28-2016, 08:14 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,730 times
For good schools, check out Hollis, Amherst, and Bedford. We've been in Amherst for 20 years. Great place to raise a family.

Old 08-28-2016, 08:39 AM
KCZ

4,676 posts, read 3,669,799 times
Most communities in NH don't have a synagogue/temple, so be sure to check their proximity if that is important to you.

Old 08-28-2016, 08:45 AM

Great! Thank you for the ideas, so I forgot to mention some towns we thought might be good based on computer research alone are Bedford, Hollis, Exeter, Amherst, Windham. The thing is we drove through Windham, Bedford, Salem, & Londonderry and correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like you will have a street of nice homes followed by a street of apartment buildings then nice homes followed more some run down homes? We weren't able to appreciate Bedford because it ended up being around 7pm so things were getting darker.
My other question is that Salem seemed nice but the school ratings on Zillow weren't impressive. I don't know how they come up with these ratings because our home school is a "9/10" but we feel like it should be like a 6 or 7/10, so do you think those ratings and reviews on Zillow or School Digger are accurate?
Thanks again!

Old 08-28-2016, 08:51 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,400 times
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the towns on your list that I am familiar with, Amherst, Bedford or Hollis. I am not sure about your apartment building statement, did that include Bedford? There are some apartment and/or condo areas in East Bedford, close to S. River Rd. This is where you will find most of the commercial area too (there and around route 101). The rest of the town is very suburban.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the towns on your list that I am familiar with, Amherst, Bedford or Hollis. I am not sure about your apartment building statement, did that include Bedford? There are some apartment and/or condo areas in East Bedford, close to S. River Rd. This is where you will find most of the commercial area too (there and around route 101). The rest of the town is very suburban.

No, I can't speak for Bedford because it was our most limited "tour". So out of those towns I mentioned would you say they have good schools, close to ammenities, and would you say southern NH is relatively tolerant with regard to ethnicity/relgion...we are professional people not bringing any liberal agenda or ways so I would think not but you never know?
Thanks again!

Old 08-28-2016, 12:57 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,506,680 times
Amherst has no apartment buildings that I ever saw. Pretty upscale, lots of conservation areas, nice neighborhoods.

As you move west from Amherst, school quality drops, although most "quality" measures track parental demographics.

Peterborough is charming, but a bit far - Logan is two hours away unless you're lucky, Lexington 60-90 minutes.

Personally, I found the feel of the areas of Route 3 to be pretty non-descript.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:05 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,400 times
Amherst, Bedford and Hollis all have excellent school systems, as far as I am aware. Bedford is closest to amenities, but Amherst and Hollis are still a reasonable drive to most anything. Hollis is probably my favorite. It has a small town center, is both agricultural/rural and suburban-ish. There is a small grocery store in town and a couple of big farm stands. A couple of pizza places and that sort of thing. There are town orchards, a town forest and even a town riding ring. It is just a few miles drive down route 130 to bigger grocery stores, LL Bean Outlet, Home Depot and the highway. Whole Foods and Target are not too far away either.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
Amherst, Bedford and Hollis all have excellent school systems, as far as I am aware. Bedford is closest to amenities, but Amherst and Hollis are still a reasonable drive to most anything. Hollis is probably my favorite. It has a small town center, is both agricultural/rural and suburban-ish. There is a small grocery store in town and a couple of big farm stands. A couple of pizza places and that sort of thing. There are town orchards, a town forest and even a town riding ring. It is just a few miles drive down route 130 to bigger grocery stores, LL Bean Outlet, Home Depot and the highway. Whole Foods and Target are not too far away either.

Thanks! That's all very helpful. We plan on taking another day trip up to see Bedford, Hollis, Amherst areas. My wife thought Portsmouth would be nice but prices are sky high for what you get.
I love NH and we are excited but nervous, we want to make a solid choice for our kids. So I appreciate hearing everyone's input. If there are any negatives to living in these areas would you please share them as well?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire