Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 10:34 PM

71 posts, read 69,590 times

Advertisements

On 06/24/17 at 4:45 PM, I was eating dinner at my dining room table when my dog ran across the room to the sliding glass door and was looking outside. When my wife and I looked to see what alarmed him we saw a "Cougar/Mountain Lion" (about 35-45 yards away) walking quickly through a well lit clearing on the top of my property. Before you ask... Yes, I know the difference between a big brown dog, a Bobcat, and a Cougar... and this was beyond any shadow of doubt... a Cougar.

I notified the Carroll County Sheriff Department to see if they felt it was a safety issue and I was told that if no one was in immediate danger they would not dispatch an officer. (Makes sense to me.) The Dispatcher suggested that I notify NH Fish & Wildlife, in the event they tracked such sightings, and provided me with the phone number. Rather than telephone Fish & Wildlife after 5:00 PM, I shot off an email to them. (As of the time of this posting I have yet to receive a reply.)

The thing that I find interesting is... while there have been sightings over the years, there is very little (if any) physical evidence or documentation of Cougars in New Hampshire since the 1800's. However, I can see why there are no photographs of them as the one I saw moved across the landscape very smoothly and quickly.

I'd be interested to hear the opinions of others and to learn if anyone else has seen a Cougar/Mountain Lion in New Hampshire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 11:31 PM

6,574 posts, read 6,745,260 times
I'm sure several have wandered into the state over the years.....NHFW seem to have a policy of never accepting the fact of these sightings as do VT & Maine officials to be fair. As to why this is....I have no answer. I've never seen one, but there has been credible evidence in the past that cougars have been seen in northern New England in the recent past.

Old 06-26-2017, 06:43 AM

346 posts, read 358,772 times
I was told F&G doesn't have the funding to deal with another protected species, so they claim it's a sighting from an uninformed public. I've asked a few F&G officials and they all give the same canned answer, they aren't here in NH. Here's a link on Mountain Lions in NH https://nhmountainlion.wordpress.com/about/#comment-71

Old 06-26-2017, 07:20 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,876,122 times
Just curious.....what town do you live in?We're in Moultonborough and would love to spot such a beautiful animal

Old 06-26-2017, 07:59 AM

5,303 posts, read 6,187,626 times
I would suggest that what the OP saw was a large bobcat or Canadian lynx. They do look similar to cougars and at a distance, it's tough to nail down the actual size.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:47 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,145,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
I would suggest that what the OP saw was a large bobcat or Canadian lynx. They do look similar to cougars and at a distance, it's tough to nail down the actual size.
Scale aside, they lack the dominant traits - short rounded ears and long thick tail.

I've got a large male bobcat who frequents my property and I'd say a quick glance at a coyote or domestic dog is more likely to trigger a false sighting.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativenewenglander View Post
I was told F&G doesn't have the funding to deal with another protected species, so they claim it's a sighting from an uninformed public. I've asked a few F&G officials and they all give the same canned answer, they aren't here in NH. Here's a link on Mountain Lions in NH https://nhmountainlion.wordpress.com/about/#comment-71
Thank you for passing this link along. I will view it after responding to a few posts here on this topic.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
Just curious.....what town do you live in?We're in Moultonborough and would love to spot such a beautiful animal
The sighting occurred in Wakefield, just off of Route 16.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
I appreciate your taking the time to reply to my post... but your "suggestion" does not suit my sighting. To me... a Bobcat and Canadian Lynx look nothing like a cougar at 35-45 yards. The cat that I clearly viewed in an open area was light brown, approximately 2-1/2ft - 3ft tall (top of head), 4ft - 5ft long (6ft-8ft long if tail was extended), and moved very quickly and smoothly through a well lit clear opening. As I said in my original post... this cat was definitely not a Deer, Bobcat, or large brown dog.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:22 AM
KCZ

4,678 posts, read 3,673,320 times
Bobcats are regularly seen where I live in the western side of the state, but a mountain lion has been spotted in my neighborhood multiple times this summer, although not by me. The guy across the street got a photo of its a** but that's all so far. We're going to set up a game camera to see if we can do better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire