Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 10:29 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,565,838 times

Advertisements

I know from the statistics that NH is just loaded with wealthy people--an overabundance of men, in fact, with money. But, since Brittney Spears is on the news daily and registered as a NH resident, I started wondering if the wealthy simply use NH as their registered State of residence, visit once a year, but really live someplace like Florida or California where it's warm. Does anyone know about this?
If so many wealthy are in NH, why is NH not on the news more?
I have my suspicions on this supposed fact...hmmmm...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 10:33 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
If you are a resident of NH I'll bet you do not have to pay income tax if you live in a state with such a tax. If you just "register" as a NH citizen and do not spend most of your time in residence you are just another criminal committing tax fraud.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:50 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,327,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
I know from the statistics that NH is just loaded with wealthy people--an overabundance of men, in fact, with money. But, since Brittney Spears is on the news daily and registered as a NH resident, I started wondering if the wealthy simply use NH as their registered State of residence, visit once a year, but really live someplace like Florida or California where it's warm. Does anyone know about this?
My guess would be no. They probably are in Florida like OJ-where they cannot come after your home or your pension and other assets if you declare bankruptcy or whatever. It really would not make sense to become a NH resident for these people. First of all if they are that wealthy they would have to pay the dividends and interest tax. Second, athletes and actors have to pay income taxes where they work in addition to where they live. If they work a lot in California or any other state they cannot avoid those income taxes-regardless of where they live.
Nicolem

Old 04-23-2008, 11:47 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,304,281 times
I lived in nh my whole life up until 6 years ago and im not rich. im sure there are alot of rich people in nh.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:32 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,137,371 times
the few that I mentioned on another thread really do live here. I'm sure there are plenty more that I don't know about. And why not? IMO we have the best quality of life.

"First of all if they are that wealthy they would have to pay the dividends and interest tax. "

they would have to pay div. and int. tax no matter where they lived. No income tax is a real savings.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:48 PM

the most millionaire/billionaires in the nation live in New Jersey according to a recent survey. 2nd place goes to Maryland.

The East Coast dominated the survey done by Phoenix Marketing International, with Connecticut ranking third, Massachusetts fifth, Virginia sixth, Delaware eighth and New Hampshire ninth.

Millionaires call Md. home, study finds - Baltimore Business Journal:

According to the NH secretary of state - the list of NH millionaire/billionaires is a book of more than 60 pages.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:59 PM

not all the $$$ people are movie stars - we have rich politicians too - Senator Judd Gregg, who also won the lottery in 2005, is one. Justice David Souter is another.

For anyone that followed the Jack Reid murder case - a Derry millionaire was involved.

Nick Riccio of Hampton is a real rags to riches story - going from a homeless person 20 years ago to a multi-millionaire RE mogul.

There is even a 'millionaires row' in Ashland, an area of stately mansions along the island.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:05 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,176,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
My first thought would be that just because someone is wealthy does not necessarily mean they are also famous.....also, if there are "famous" people living in the state, just going from what I've learned about the state since moving here, I would suspect no one would make a big deal out of it.

I hate to keep bringing up NY, but the area where we lived had Natalie Merchant, Uma Thurman, Keanu Reeves (sp), Mary Tyler Moore, Levon Helms (sp), Bob Dylan and quite a few others with residences in the area - nobody made a big fuss over them - they were people just like the rest of us, who happened to have homes in the area. It wasn't publicised, but you'd run into them in the area stores or when out and about.

It's also been my experience that those (non-famous people) with "class" and money don't "flaunt" it - you're more likely to find out about it by accident. Lots of people have big fancy houses, fancy clothes/accessories/cars but that doesn't necessarily mean they are wealthy - they may just be in debt up to their eyeballs and trying to impress someone

Old 04-23-2008, 02:11 PM

Dare - you've got it!

we like to keep them to ourselves!

I've met Drew Barrymore at Garwoods in Wolfeboro. I've never met Britney, but I've seen her.

I also met Don Henley and Donald Sutherland. Lucky me!!!!!

For the most part, they blend.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:17 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,176,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
Dare - you've got it!

we like to keep them to ourselves!

I've met Drew Barrymore at Garwoods in Wolfeboro. I've never met Britney, but I've seen her.

I also met Don Henley and Donald Sutherland. Lucky me!!!!!

For the most part, they blend.
Thank you Buck - and you're right ... they DO blend! Excellent way of putting it! Now, can you arrange for my husband to meet Don Henley???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire