Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2021, 10:23 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,038,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Many but not all towns have building codes.

"How Are Pellet Stoves Vented?
The air intake for a pellet stove may use the air within the room or take outside air through the use of a direct vent through an external wall, and waste air from a pellet stove must always be vented to the outside using a suitable flue. Both venting arrangements must meet local and manufacturer’s building codes and guidelines." LINK

Also, some homeowers insurance companies need to be advised in order to keep insurance valid.
Yes of course! We have a professional installing. We also had a sprinkler system installed this summer. Bonus, there is a fire hydrant at the end of our driveway, about 70 feet from our house.

The stove is vented from the back, through the wall where it has a horizontal configuration per the manufacturer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2021, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Nice, and still in time for the serious cold weather to come...

Yes thank goodness!

Old 11-21-2021, 10:34 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
Yes it is vented out the back. I'm sorry to hear about post surgery issues.

We are very excited about the stove especially with the price of propane going up so much. This will be our fourth winter up here and we are better prepared now for cold winters. We added a generator this past summer for power outage emergencies. We had one night last February, about 12 hours with no power and it got cold inside We love it up here! You just need to be prepared lol.

Wishing you a full recovery
Thanks -- I am actually 100% recovered now! Should have called my pellet guy over the summer before they got really busy. Then again, my pellet SHED still isn't ready as the contractor who was going to do the concrete pad was (and still is) insanely busy -- and now the temps are too cold for good concrete curing. Aaaggghhhh. I still have almost 3 pallets of pellets in my garage that I was hoping to have in the shed this winter (you know, so I could actually PARK MY CAR in the garage! ).

I may be able to get the pellet guy to come in December or January, but he would ideally need to clean out the chimney from the roof, so I'm hoping we don't have any huge snowstorms before then.

I have considered having a generator installed but my regular electrician (who is fantastic) isn't enthusiastic about installing one (I'm not sure why) -- instead, he referred me to an installer who seems to have 99% of the generator business around here. Being basically a monopoly, he's expensive -- especially because where I live, we very rarely have outages and the longest one was a few hours many years ago (most are in the 15-to-90-minute range a few times a year -- and mostly in the SUMMER, not the winter). BUT given that all my sources of heat -- pellet insert, oil furnace, space heaters -- require electricity, I was concerned about the POSSIBILITY of a long power outage. I fixed that by having 2 propane heaters installed, one on the first floor in the TV room and one on the second floor in my back hallway. The second-floor heater in particular is excellent -- can basically heat my entire 2nd floor (>1,200 square feet) when all the bedroom doors are open.

Have you used your new stove yet? What brand did you go with? I went with a Harman pellet insert, mostly because I had a Harman pellet FURNACE at my last house so was familiar with the brand. I LOVE the pellet heat -- it makes my living room (~13'6" x 23'6") insanely warm (my kitties love it ) but also heats the front hall, the kitchen (which is ~12'6" x 23'6") across the hall, and even the TV room a bit (that's on the other side of the house from the living room). The stairs are right outside the living room so the 3 front bedrooms upstairs also get a lot of heat.

^^^ That's Annie and Berkeley in front of the pellet insert soon after it was installed. They basically lived in that room!

Old 11-21-2021, 01:10 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
Best to check flooring and walls for correct materials.
And check any nearby tables or flamable materials.

And check with the local fire department. Some towns require a certification or simple check.
And do contact homeowners insurance for any type of wood buring stove.

Or just wing it and hope for the best.

Old 11-22-2021, 02:50 PM

1,093 posts, read 1,059,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Yay! Glad it worked out for you.

I have a pellet insert in my living room fireplace ... haven't been able to use it for the last couple of winters as I had major surgery and wasn't supposed to lift more than 10 lbs. Was hoping to be back to using it as my primary heat source this year, but haven't been able to get it cleaned and tuned up, everyone is so busy. So it's oil again.

I assume your pellet stove is simply vented out the back? That shouldn't be too difficult an installation. I bet you will love it!

Glad to see you're healed up and love the cat pics. My Mom's favorite cat was a Siamese mix which I assume that one is.

I would hope if I'm ever in a situation like that, I could find someone to deliver to me. Then you'll see me moving coffee cups full of pellets to the stove.

Of course I know the post surgery feeling and don't blame anyone for taking the convenient route.

Old 11-22-2021, 03:16 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnfdc View Post
Glad to see you're healed up and love the cat pics. My Mom's favorite cat was a Siamese mix which I assume that one is.
They're the HUMANE SOCIETY version of Siamese. Berkeley (the kitty on the rug) actually looks full-bred, but I'm sure he's not. They are both VERY VERY LOUD, which I guess is common with Siamese, so they definitely got that from Mom or Dad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnfdc View Post
I would hope if I'm ever in a situation like that, I could find someone to deliver to me. Then you'll see me moving coffee cups full of pellets to the stove.

Of course I know the post surgery feeling and don't blame anyone for taking the convenient route.
Ha! Had to laugh at the suggestion of "coffee cups full of pellets." That could have worked although it would have taken too many trips! Alas, the pellets were stored in the garage, which is quite far away from the living room. It wasn't a big deal to lift 40-lb. bags in my pre-surgery days, but I just didn't want to take any chances afterward (I actually had 2 major surgeries about 6 months apart -- the same operation both times, a total knee replacement).

Now that I CAN carry 40-lb. bags again, I'd love to go back to pellet heat, but I really need the insert deep-cleaned before I can do that. I HOPE to have the pellet guy come this winter!

You reminded me that I forgot to ask the OP how many tons she expects to go through this winter and where they are storing the pallets. I actually bought 18 tons at 1 time many years ago (I got a good discount on the price plus free delivery, IIRC) -- was able to store all of them in my garage but it meant I couldn't use the garage for anything else! Hence, my decision to buy a shed for pellet storage. Just wish I could get the darn thing INSTALLED! (Oh, those 18 tons lasted me I think 3.5 years.)

OP, how are you enjoying your new stove?

Old 11-22-2021, 04:03 PM

Quote:
They're the HUMANE SOCIETY version of Siamese. Berkeley (the kitty on the rug) actually looks full-bred, but I'm sure he's not. They are both VERY VERY LOUD, which I guess is common with Siamese, so they definitely got that from Mom or Dad!

lol at humane society Siamese. YES. LOUD!!! cats!

Old 11-24-2021, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Thanks -- I am actually 100% recovered now! Should have called my pellet guy over the summer before they got really busy. Then again, my pellet SHED still isn't ready as the contractor who was going to do the concrete pad was (and still is) insanely busy -- and now the temps are too cold for good concrete curing. Aaaggghhhh. I still have almost 3 pallets of pellets in my garage that I was hoping to have in the shed this winter (you know, so I could actually PARK MY CAR in the garage! ).

I may be able to get the pellet guy to come in December or January, but he would ideally need to clean out the chimney from the roof, so I'm hoping we don't have any huge snowstorms before then.

I have considered having a generator installed but my regular electrician (who is fantastic) isn't enthusiastic about installing one (I'm not sure why) -- instead, he referred me to an installer who seems to have 99% of the generator business around here. Being basically a monopoly, he's expensive -- especially because where I live, we very rarely have outages and the longest one was a few hours many years ago (most are in the 15-to-90-minute range a few times a year -- and mostly in the SUMMER, not the winter). BUT given that all my sources of heat -- pellet insert, oil furnace, space heaters -- require electricity, I was concerned about the POSSIBILITY of a long power outage. I fixed that by having 2 propane heaters installed, one on the first floor in the TV room and one on the second floor in my back hallway. The second-floor heater in particular is excellent -- can basically heat my entire 2nd floor (>1,200 square feet) when all the bedroom doors are open.

Have you used your new stove yet? What brand did you go with? I went with a Harman pellet insert, mostly because I had a Harman pellet FURNACE at my last house so was familiar with the brand. I LOVE the pellet heat -- it makes my living room (~13'6" x 23'6") insanely warm (my kitties love it ) but also heats the front hall, the kitchen (which is ~12'6" x 23'6") across the hall, and even the TV room a bit (that's on the other side of the house from the living room). The stairs are right outside the living room so the 3 front bedrooms upstairs also get a lot of heat.

^^^ That's Annie and Berkeley in front of the pellet insert soon after it was installed. They basically lived in that room!
I love this stove! The stove is from The United States Stove company. We have it set on the lowest setting and the house is a toasty 71°. I love the pictures of your cats in front of the stove

This house is much smaller than our previous house, it was the best decision for us to downgrade. It's just the two of us and 3 kitties.

It's encouraging to hear how well your pellet insert heats your house,especially the second floor! We have a loft, no true second floor, a basement and the main floor.

It's so beautiful in NH. The cats seem happy too. Lots of wildlife for them to watch.I finally saw a bear this summer, mama and 3 cubs I hope I get to see a moose one of these days!

Old 11-24-2021, 01:13 PM

Quote:

I missed this earlier, and it seems you have it all figured out anyways with non electric sources of heat, but have you ever considered just a portable generator and a transfer switch? Hooks into the house with either a 30 or 50amp plug and you switch between street power and generator power at your breaker box.

I have a small Generac GP 6500 that I am able to run the whole house off of. Fridge, beer fridge, coffee maker, stove, water heater, well, etc. Sometimes I do have to choose what I want to run-like not the oven's cleaning cycle, the clothes dryer, and water heater at the same time, but it does great for me. Easy starting and easy to move around on its wheels too. The only maintenance is a once a year oil change and cleaning the air filter.

Full disclosure, I am going to buy a GP 8000 when my house gets built. That way I won't have to think about being careful about what I turn on.

There are other portable models as well. Some with remote start and some with dual or tri fuel. I like the simple gas generators and keep 13 gallons of ethanol free treated with marine Stabil on hand. I'll rotate it through my small engines throughout the year and never worry about the gas going bad.

Old 11-24-2021, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
I love this stove! The stove is from The United States Stove company. We have it set on the lowest setting and the house is a toasty 71°. I love the pictures of your cats in front of the stove

This house is much smaller than our previous house, it was the best decision for us to downgrade. It's just the two of us and 3 kitties.

It's encouraging to hear how well your pellet insert heats your house,especially the second floor! We have a loft, no true second floor, a basement and the main floor.

It's so beautiful in NH. The cats seem happy too. Lots of wildlife for them to watch.I finally saw a bear this summer, mama and 3 cubs I hope I get to see a moose one of these days!

I think you'll do just fine heating the house on that stove. I'm heating my ~1K square foot rental with a Qudrafire Millennium 3100 as the only heat I'll use. I'm building(really my builder is) an ~1400 square foot single level living area and plan on solely heating with a Jotul F3 CB. I'll have to figure out how/if I want to heat the basement and how I want to heat my garage, but wood will be the way with an oil backup inside.

No moose where I'm renting in the Lakes region, but they pop up on my property up north from time to time. Bears are moving around this time of year looking for food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire