Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2008, 08:20 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,452,247 times

Advertisements

It was only a matter of time before we'd be showered in pine sap.
So far I need to remove sap from a sleeping bag and even worse, from my pomeranian's long fur (and the sooner the better...)

Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 10:30 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,703,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa g View Post
It was only a matter of time before we'd be showered in pine sap.
So far I need to remove sap from a sleeping bag and even worse, from my pomeranian's long fur (and the sooner the better...)

Suggestions?
FOR YOUR DOG:
Desolveit from Wal Mart did the trick. On the grocery side with soap/cleaners. My DOG (not NH2NCMOM - but the teller of the story LOL) stepped in pine tree sap and his foot was covered along with the gravel he picked up. A few sprays and dunking in warm water did the trick. After the foot was shampooed, back to normal.

FOR YOUR SLEEPING BAG AND CLOTHES:
This indicates to us that solvents, like turpentine or other paint thinners, can be used to remove tree sap. Caution must be used in this approach, as not all fabrics will be colorfast to these types of solvents. If at all possible you should test your solvent on a hidden spot to make sure the dyes used will not be discolored.
You can try using alcohol, acetone (nail polish remover), and paint thinner, or any number of organic solvents, to remove tree sap. Also, commercial adhesive removers such as Goo Gone may do a good job of removing tree sap, as the makeup of the substance is very similar to many commercial adhesives. For a more environmentally sound approach many citrus based solvents and stain removers could be tried.
The physical properties of tree sap can give us another approach to removing it from clothing. Tree sap is very similar in texture and properties to chewing gum; in fact they are closely related substances. Like removing chewing gum you could try using a piece of ice to harden the sap and then scrape it off. Once you have removed the majority of the sap in this manner you may still be left with a spot, however. To remove that spot you can try a commercial stain remover or one of the solvents above to restore the color of the fabric.
Another option based on the physical properties of tree sap is to heat it. Heating tree sap will cause it to soften. You can try using a warm iron and a paper towel to soak up the softened sap. Simply place the paper towel over the sap and heat with the iron. A caution with this method, however, is that the heating may force the sap into the fibers of the fabric creating a worse problem.

I was going to suggest ice and looked it up to see if I was right LOL.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:59 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,452,247 times
thanks! ice is a good idea. and I have plenty of goo gone in case i need to try that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire