Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 01:11 AM

64 posts, read 102,089 times

Advertisements

It seems like there would be, because there is plenty of wilderness out there and plenty to see and do out in nature.

I'm considering a move to New Hampshire (right outside of White Mountain NF), and consider myself a big outdoorsman.

If I did end up moving there, I would LOVE to start exploring the national forest and surrounding areas.

How hard would it be for me to find some people around that love hiking, backpacking, camping, canoeing, etc.?

New Hampshire probably has a bigger number of these types of people per capita, but the population is also a lot more sparse and less dense than most other state.

Thanks for your responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 05:09 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
"Outdorsy" folk are cliff to cliff in the Whites in the Spring, Summer and Fall. Franconia Notch smells like a forest fire from the smoke at Lafayett Campground on a summer weekend. The hiking HQ is LaHouts Store in Littleton. The North woods are great. Enjoy.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:08 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,216,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
"Outdorsy" folk are cliff to cliff in the Whites in the Spring, Summer and Fall. Franconia Notch smells like a forest fire from the smoke at Lafayett Campground on a summer weekend. The hiking HQ is LaHouts Store in Littleton. The North woods are great. Enjoy.
+1 That area is full of people that enjoy the outdoors. I would guess most of NH is that way anyways.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:24 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,171,291 times
It wouldn't be hard at all to meet other outdoor enthusiasts in NH. You might want to search for some groups online first (maybe meetup or facebook?) Hanover is somewhat of a mecca for hikers because it sits right on the Appalachian trail and has a younger, more active population. But you'll find plenty of people like that all over the state, including in the larger southern cities away from the mountains.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:52 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Look up the "Appalachian Mountain Club". They maintain the camping huts, trails and shelters in the White Mountains as well as publish an excellent trail guide.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:20 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,382,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Look up the "Appalachian Mountain Club". They maintain the camping huts, trails and shelters in the White Mountains as well as publish an excellent trail guide.
And if you're a member, you can join in on member-arranged hikes just about everywhere in the Whites for all different abilities. Just a bunch of members getting together and going hiking. I've done a lot of hikes that way, during all four seasons.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:28 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,181,932 times
This is a good forum and website: Hike-NH.com :: Index

Old 02-16-2012, 05:07 PM

64 posts, read 102,089 times
Wow, this is exactly what I wanted to hear, especially finding out there is a hiking store in Littleton.

I'm a couple of years out of college and love meeting new people my age who are into outdoors-y stuff. Thanks for all of the information, and feel free to keep it coming if anyone else has any input and suggestions.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:01 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,065,875 times
Yes, a ton of hiking. I try to get out somewhere every other weekend...

Old 02-17-2012, 06:54 AM

491 posts, read 1,372,378 times
I was thinking of joining AMC this year. Has anyone done one of their family adventure overnight trips? Seems expensive and wondering if these trips are worth it.

PS: My health insurance gives me a discount on joining AMC. Its not heavily publicized, I found out by accident. Check yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire